xlh883

I understand why some of us quit the sport...

I have been trying without success for the last 2 weeks to get a reserve repack. The situation is pissing me off more and more because I live about 130 miles from the closest DZ.

I now live in Maryland and the closest DZ's are in Delaware and Virginia.

One DZ in VA doesn't offer rigging, you are on your own.

The second in Delaware, shut down for who knows how long.

The third in DZ, supposedly a popular one, has been playing email and phone tag with me. I have tried to make them understand that I live far away and I need to get this done so I can jump. They don't seem to care much and didn't even offer to do it for me after dropping my rig off and pick it up later. A rigger was supposed to call me back last night, but never did.

This is just a summary of my feelings. I waited all day to calm down before posting this.

It seems to em that the DZ's are their own worst enemy.

I am going to give them one more chance and then I don't know.

What other options are there for me to get a repack?

Or should I just let my USPA membership lapse in June and quit the sport for good.

I haven't made a jump since December 16th due to weather and job switching/moving and I miss it very badly.

I regret as far as Skydiving goes, having to leave the last two DZ's I patronized. At least there I felt welcomed.

David

pull the main out, ship the rig to me in New York, I'll inspect and repack it and ship it back to ya! I charge $50 for a repack, but I'll let you deduct the 2 way shipping costs.....:)

Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I guess in some areas your only option is to ship the rig to a rigger like the guy above offered.

You could always ship it to Rigging Solutions in South Carolina. I'm sure they would work with you to help you out the best they can.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

pull the main out, ship the rig to me in New York, I'll inspect and repack it and ship it back to ya! I charge $50 for a repack, but I'll let you deduct the 2 way shipping costs.....(you know, UPS Ground......)

***Sid, you are a prince.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Don't quit! I feel down lately because I am in college and don't have the money do jump. I probably won't for a while and i have just gotten to where it doesn't drive me crazy anymore. It will all pass. I did go and get my riggers ticket so that I am not at the mercy of others. Maybe doing that might spark you back up and maybe it is not the right time. Just chill out for a bit and try to stay positive.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Riggers don't generally work for dropzones... they're freelance. Go to a DZ, ask around, find a rigger, and you won't have to worry about it again. In the future, you'll just drop your rig off with a rigger at the end of a weekend of jumping and pick it up the next weekend (or next time you're there).

Took me a little while to find a rigger when I moved to CT. First one I tried wouldn't pack a reflex, etc. They don't walk around wearing shirts that say "I'm a rigger" but they're all over the place. I now have my pick of at least 5 or 6 different riggers for a repack and a couple different master riggers for any big stuff.

If you are thinking about quitting the sport because you can't find a rigger, well, that's your choice. Seems like a silly reason to me though...

Dave

Where in MD are you? How far are you from Chambersburg PA? They have a loft that would be happy to help. Maytown, PA is another option, shitloads of riggers there, but probably farther for you.

I was just about to suggest Chambersburg Skydiving. Nice folks, with at least two riggers that I saw when I was up there last week.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It is a silly reason. I am just really frustrated that the DZ. won't at least help out some since they know who their riggers are and I haven't been there yet. All I want to do is keep from wasting a trip out there.

Any way, thanks to the good folks here, there are more options. I didn't know of Chambersburg, so that adds a DZ to check out.

David

I am in Southern Maryland about 70 miles south fo D.C. Mapquest puts me at 168 miles to Chambersburg.

I think that is doable for a whole weekend of jumping.

I appreciate the suggestion and will give them a call later this week. Or I may just show up which would probably not work.

David

pull the main out, ship the rig to me in New York, I'll inspect and repack it and ship it back to ya! I charge $50 for a repack, but I'll let you deduct the 2 way shipping costs.....:)

He will even deduct shipping cost? I salute you sir!

Problem solved!!!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Don't forget this is the start of the season in aeras the get the white stuff durring certin months with the spring weather comes the spring rush of repacks. Word of mouth or as you founf askign here will help you find a easy sloution then running your ass aloover the country side trying to get a repack done.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

[reply
***Sid, you are a prince.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, I've been working on the asshole image for years!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The third in DZ, supposedly a popular one, has been playing email and phone tag with me.
David

So stop playing e-mail and phone tag. Take your rig there and drop it off.

Hate to say it, but you sound like you are whining.

Take your rig there, and get it repacked.
__

My mighty steed

I can understand the desire to have a confirmation that a rigger will actually be there to do the repack before taking it to a DZ. I've been in the situation where the DZ's primary rigger is either backed up or is out of town so if you drop it off it might not get repacked for a few weeks. How bad would it suck to drive 3 hours to a DZ and drop it off only to find out when you go back the next weekend nothing was done to your rig since the rigger was out of town?

Have you used the user search feature on here yet? It lets people list their ratings and you might be able to find a rigger in your area or even city.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I am in Southern Maryland about 70 miles south fo D.C. Mapquest puts me at 168 miles to Chambersburg.

I think that is doable for a whole weekend of jumping.

I appreciate the suggestion and will give them a call later this week. Or I may just show up which would probably not work.

David

FWIW, one of our instructors (who's also a senior rigger) lives south of Annapolis and travels to Maytown fairly regularly. He posts here as Peckerhead. Send him a PM, maybe he can help you out.

Or should I just let my USPA membership lapse in June and quit the sport for good.

Sounds like a plan. If you're willing to consider quitting because you can't find a rigger... maybe it's the right decision. :S

Seriously, as everyone else has told you here - there are riggers all over the place. Generally, the *last* place I would start is at the DZ. Not all, but many, DZs want a cut of what their staff riggers bring in. I'd rather all my money goes to the rigger - as far as I'm concerned the price of a repack is a bargain given the amount of time and effort a good rigger puts into it, and I want him or her to get the full amount.

Second, riggers employed by DZs are usually there to do the DZs rigging first - tandem rigs, student rigs, pilot rigs. You're way down on the list of priorities. If you ask around to get to know the locals and the people they use as riggers you'll most likely identify someone who does only (or primarily) sport rigs. Even better you'll start to get a good sense of which riggers have great reputations and which don't.

Sounds like you've planned ahead to make sure you can find someone who's available, but you also have to realize that finding someone who can do the rig right when you bring it to them could be challenging. It's more difficult for the first repack of the season, but you should try to get into the pattern of leaving your rig with a rigger at the end of a jumping weekend, and talking with that rigger about his or her schedule to see when you can get it back. With luck you can find someone who can do it during the week and have it ready for you first thing for the next jumping weekend, or you'll find someone who lives a lot closer to you so that driving back and forth to drop off and pick up will be a lot easier.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

good to see more guys like you around. Most people I know give the whole its a business routine and ask ridiculous amounts for pack jobs and such. Good manB|

I'm not sure how much you are paying for a pack job, but how much is your butt worth? It takes a good hour to do a repack and there are other considerations that most people don't know about that a rigger has to keep track of to be legal. Then there are some rigs that are worth more than the going rate because they are a PITA.
I encourage anyone that thinks a repack is to expensive to get their rating. If nothing else you learn a lot about gear. I have several riggers that I taught that don't pack their own stuff, or anyone else's. We aren't getting rich I can asure you:S
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

... It takes a good hour to do a repack and there are other considerations ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"a good hour?"

HAH!

I am lucky if I can get a reserve out in three hours!

... but then, I have a reputation of being a narrow-minded, anal-retentive, control-freak, master rigger, who rips people off for minor repairs that other riggers missed, blablablabla ....