kallend

"Bloody Foreigners" jumping in the UK

If I (USPA member, D license) were to visit the UK what restrictions or conditions are placed on me in order to make a skydive? Do I get treated as a novice because I don't have any of the BPA FS1 (or whatever) qualifications? Do I have to have a JM check my CYPRES before every jump? Etc., etc., or is the USPA license recognized?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

None of the above!!!!!

I believe that as long as you've got all your docs, Log book, licence ect the club would check your docs, and probably your kit, get you to buy temporary membership of BPA and allow you to jump if everything was in order.

The regular problem we get in the UK is immediate post AFF course students rocking up expecting to jump with no Consolidation jumps behind them. In the UK an AFF student continues on student status until they have carried out 10 consols.

With love in Christ

I don't think you will have any problems to be honest, pm cpoxon "Craig" can most likely fill you in but at your experience level i would be flabbergasted if you had any bother as long as you have you licence, log book and kit docs then you pay your temp bpa membership.

Craig is a mine off information :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

when are you going to be here and where are you thinking of jumping? Would be good to see you blighty for a change!

tash

and since when have you been a foreigner here???
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

when are you going to be here and where are you thinking of jumping? Would be good to see you blighty for a change!

tash

and since when have you been a foreigner here???

No definite plans yet, Tash, but I haven't seen my brother and sister for 6 years so I'm seriously thinking of coming over.

It would be nice to meet my fellow Brits on their home turf for a change.

let me know when and where and I'll help out as well. I'm a bloody foreigner jumping in the uk and the only thing i had to do is become a BPA member (300 dollars OUCH), but my docs were ok.

I have a USPA B and no one gave me any trouble and i'm treated as though i have all that extra crap FS1 FS2 blah blah blah.
;)

Same with dirty sanchez and ncfitz. All of us have uspa B's and same treatment across the board.

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

When I jumped over at Langar for a summer there really wasn't much of an issue except that I had to have a BPA membership. (which was cool with me except that it cost me almost 300 american dollars for three months of skydiving! >:() The only place that gave me trouble was Hiblestow (sp?? I can never spell that friggen word). They basically said that they have to treat me like a student since I didn't have my Cat 8 and my FS1 and some crap like that... yada, yada, yada. I had 80 jumps and a USPA B license with a BPA/USPA membership. So, that meant that I couldn't jump with my english friends who I was there with over the summer. I made a big stink about it and they finally let me go and honored my B-license.

I hope you don't encounter any problems, but I guess it really varies from dropzone to dropzone over there.

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Did I understand correctly that as of the last BPA AGM individuals with a foreign license are now allowed to jump in the UK WITHOUT having to get a BPA membership???

...if you are an EU citizen and can prove you have insurance cover of your own that will cover you for 3rd party damage while skydiving in the UK up to a certain amount. So not all foreigners I'm afraid, only the ones next door!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

If you're just in country for a short trip then temp BPA membership is all you need to jump here. It only costs £30: http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/Form%20104%20Temporary%20Membership%202007-2008.doc

(this is on the assumption that you've never held full BPA membership before... if you have then you're not supposed to be eligible for the temp membership).

Agreed on HIb and glad me and fitz arent the only two that had trouble. 3 years ago we tried to jump Hib an had the same problem. USPA members stay away from Hib, they seem to not want our business.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Agreed on HIb and glad me and fitz arent the only two that had trouble. 3 years ago we tried to jump Hib an had the same problem. USPA members stay away from Hib, they seem to not want our business.

If it varies from DZ to DZ does this mean there's no BPA policy?

You're simply not going to have the slightest bit of trouble, seriously. There's a huge difference in how careful a DZ's going to look over someone turning up with 80 jumps and someone who's got more than 20 times that experience.

DZ's in Britain don't always fully grasp the old me customer; you service provider; therefore me right attitude that some visitors demand. Appreciate that, as I'm sure you already do, and you'll have no issues whatsoever.

:ph34r:tsk,tsk imagine trying to tease us into bpa baiting about politics :D:D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

The BPA stance is that FAI licence holders from other countries are grandfathered (er, no pun intended:)) in to the system, but some DZ's choose to be more cautious/ restrictive than they need to be to comply with the BPA requirements. Seriously though, with your experience you won't have any problem at all.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is that BPA members over 40 need to have their doctor sign them off as fit to jump - anyone know if that applies to visitors?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It's up to each individual CCI to look at someone's experience (logbook) and decide where to fit them into the "system". The medical requirements for over 40s don't apply to visiting jumpers as long as they fulfil the requirements in their home country. Obviously a low time jumper with less than 100 jumps is going to attract a lot more scrutiny than a very experienced jumper with "dues paid". In any event, you will need temporary BPA membership but, if you're staying for an extended period, you will need full BPA membership, currently 162 GBP.

You won't have a problem at my Centre but I can't speak for any others. B|

The BPA stance is that FAI licence holders from other countries are grandfathered (er, no pun intended:)) in to the system, but some DZ's choose to be more cautious/ restrictive than they need to be to comply with the BPA requirements. Seriously though, with your experience you won't have any problem at all.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is that BPA members over 40 need to have their doctor sign them off as fit to jump - anyone know if that applies to visitors?

Section 11 (Medical) Para 2 (General) Sub-Para 2.6 (Foreign Parachutists) of the BPA Operations Manual states,

A parachutist from a foreign country may parachute at a BPA Club if he/she fulfils the medical requirements of that parachutist’s own country.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live