schwansa

I got that slider down, all right..

On my jump today...I pulled the tabs on the slider to collapse it (forgive me I think I've forgotten the term) and the dang thing shot down right past my head like a head rest.

Did I pull too hard? I tried to put it back up where it belonged but it kept on falling back down? What is the proper thing to do if this ever happens again? Thanks!

On student and larger canopies, it is quite normal for people to collapse the slider and leave it at the top of the risers - a lot of those canopies are set up with slider stops (black hats covering the soft links?) up there to stop the slider coming down.

As the parachutes get smaller, it is common practice to pull the slider down over the top of the risers, although we would normally put the slider behind the head, rather than in front... :P;)

This allows the canopy to 'widen' slightly and flatten out, which gives you more lift (a good thing!) Ask about it when you are next at the DZ. As American Pie dad said, it is a perfectly normal, natural thing. You are just a little ahead of the power curve!

The thing to be sure of now is that you pull the slider down over the toggles before releasing the brakes. There is a risk otherwise that when you are flying along quite happily, it will come down by itself and partially block your use of the steering lines. This is something that is best explained visually so again, ask at the DZ and someone will demonstrate.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

It may feel weird but that is where you want the slider down and behind your head. If you think it does not make a difference jump the slider collapsed and behind your head for about 50 jumps and then try one with out it down. I can gurantee that you will not like it when it is up. having it down does help your canopy flatten out and your flare will be easier.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

i have large risers too, but i still pull the slider down behind my head. it's a little more work, but you're a lot less likely to have a toggle knocked loose accidentally.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i have large risers too, but i still pull the slider down behind my head. it's a little more work, but you're a lot less likely to have a toggle knocked loose accidentally.

OK, you really corn-fused me here. :S

How could my collapsed slider being at the top of my risers increase the chances of a toggle being knocked loose???
__

My mighty steed

How could my collapsed slider being at the top of my risers increase the chances of a toggle being knocked loose???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The danger is in having the slider at the same level as your toggles, especially when you are trying to steer.
Far safer to have the slider definitely above your toggles (i.e. above Slink Hats) or definitely below (i.e. neck level).

As everyone else said, that's not a problem. My question for you is: if you were concerned about this, then why didn't you ask an instructor at the dropzone immediately after landing?

I meant to, and will follow up with them tomorrow on my next jump about the characteristics of that particular rig. I had a zillion questions about landings, which were a bit fresher in the memory than the slider!

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

...but you're a lot less likely to have a toggle knocked loose accidentally.

...and a student is more likely to accidentally knock the toggle loose while they are doing it thus creating a small problem that they may/may not handle correctly.

Keep in mind guys that we are talking to a student here.
The slight improvement in performance is, IMHO, not worth the added risk to them at this point in the game.

Collapsing a slider is a good thing for several reasons. Pulling it down over the toggles to get it behind the head is something else for them. They are flying student 'chutes, not HP hot rods.

You can probably tell that I favor slider bumpers for student gear.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

my bad, didn't notice the op was a student. not that i'm an expert, but you're quite correct in saying that a newer jumper has other things to learn before he starts mucking with things immediately after opening.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001