stitch

Does your DZ have a prejudice towards low-passes (2500-5000) ??

I would be interested to hear what pilots think about climbing passes for low exits.

Edited to add, maybe it depends on the type of aircraft.

I think that the only safe climbing exit would be out of a tailgate.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

My DZ has a remote landing area from the airport. At its normal climb rate, the KA is about 8K by the time we are over the landing area. They'll dump you out if you want, but it is a full price jump.

Is that with the understanding you'll drop down a bit before opening? Seems like the KA might be on jump run before you get down on the ground.

Most of the people doing the HnPs from the Hollister KA are trying out a new canopy. By the time the plane is on jump run at 15K, the early jumper is well below standard deployment altitude.

And if you do a HnP at Lodi, it is usually $2 to get on the plane and $1 per 1K. Depending on who is flying will determine how much/if you get a cut. Got to love the low tail on a KA. It's fun to just roll out the door and see the plane keep climbing.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I was recently at a new DZ, and they balked when I asked for a low pass. I damn near cried.

I try to do a low hop-n-pop on every new DZ as an evaluation jump. Just a habit.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, there are days when they ONLY do hop-and-pop loads.

There are a few 400' buildings just down the road from my apartment and sometimes the cloud ceiling doesn't even reach roof height.

And if you do a HnP at Lodi, it is usually $2 to get on the plane and $1 per 1K. Depending on who is flying will determine how much/if you get a cut. Got to love the low tail on a KA. It's fun to just roll out the door and see the plane keep climbing.

Was there for about a week last month and asked Bill every day for a low pass on the KA and every day he said no:( Don't get why either since I was there late January on the weekend and all we did was low passes out of the KA. Sucks since that was the reason I went to lodi to begin with.

Both Perris and Otay will do low passes, although sometimes they have to move you around on loads so you won't be in the air as the next load comes through your airspace.

Just smoke it low. :ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

ZHills, Sebastian, Homestead all do low passes at lower than normal jump prices from the same plane as the full altitude jumpers. No min number of people getting out low requirement.

And at Seb and ZHills it's very common to have low passes.

Heck, at ZHills there are sometimes wing suit passes.

ZHills, Sebastian, Homestead all do low passes at lower than normal jump prices from the same plane as the full altitude jumpers. No min number of people getting out low requirement.

And at Seb and ZHills it's very common to have low passes.

Heck, at ZHills there are sometimes wing suit passes.

The majority of my jumps are Z-Hills' low-passes. ;)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

One of the coolest things ive seen is the swoop club at East Troy. They rent the plane and keep it turning for as long as there are people. $8 a load I believe. Too bad I moved before I had much swooping in mind.

And we still do it. Just that hop and pops are $10 these days.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Perris does hop n pops while the plane is still climbing :o No time wasted there. Just make sure your exit is right. B|

That is essentially what I'm referring to.....a climbing pass.

I would be interested to hear what pilots think about climbing passes for low exits.

Edited to add, maybe it depends on the type of aircraft.

I didn't realise that they don't cut or lower the nose at perris for hop/pops and found my nose within a foot of the tail on exit.

It would be a good idea for them to push the nose forwards slightly whilst h+p's exit to provide safe clearance. Rate of climb would be converted into airspeed which could be converted back into altitude once the h+p was gone.

>Rate of climb would be converted into airspeed which could be
>converted back into altitude once the h+p was gone.

Airspeed is as dangerous as a nose-high attitude during exits on aircraft with low stabilizers. Fortunately, an otter's tail is pretty high; it is very very hard to hit it unless you try. And fortunate thing #2 is that during H+P's you don't need to "jump up" as you do during certain types of RW exits.

>Rate of climb would be converted into airspeed which could be
>converted back into altitude once the h+p was gone.

Airspeed is as dangerous as a nose-high attitude during exits on aircraft with low stabilizers. Fortunately, an otter's tail is pretty high; it is very very hard to hit it unless you try. And fortunate thing #2 is that during H+P's you don't need to "jump up" as you do during certain types of RW exits.

It was only after I posted the surprise at climbing passes at Perris that I realized the otter has much higher stabalizers than a Cessna 208b.

Climbing passes with our aircraft are just not on. But I can believe with an otter it's O.K.

The comment about not needing to "jump up" is only valid if the jumper knows he/she must not jump up. No problem for me or you, but do they all know this?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

>The comment about not needing to "jump up" is only valid if the
>jumper knows he/she must not jump up. No problem for me or you, but do
>they all know this?

Most of the low-exiters I have seen at Perris know this. It's not too important at an Otter DZ, but it's critical at, say, a King Air DZ. When we had a King Air we harped on it constantly, but now that we (Otay that is) have an Otter it's not mentioned as much.