stitch

Does your DZ have a prejudice towards low-passes (2500-5000) ??

I was recently at a new DZ, and they balked when I asked for a low pass. I damn near cried.

I try to do a low hop-n-pop on every new DZ as an evaluation jump. Just a habit.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Low passes cost time and the money people pay for them just does not cover the cost.

My home DZ is good about low passes. You nearly always get one if you want. But we are a club and not a commercial operation.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

My DZ has a remote landing area from the airport. At its normal climb rate, the KA is about 8K by the time we are over the landing area. They'll dump you out if you want, but it is a full price jump. They'll do a HnP out of the C206 if you can get 4 people. Only time I tend to do them is when I'm watching a bunch of students doing theirs for the A license. It's fun seeing that same worried look as I had on my face as they do their 3.5KHnP.:S:ph34r:

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Perris does hop n pops while the plane is still climbing :o No time wasted there. Just make sure your exit is right. B|

That is essentially what I'm referring to.....a climbing pass.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Perris does hop n pops while the plane is still climbing :o No time wasted there. Just make sure your exit is right. B|

That is essentially what I'm referring to.....a climbing pass.

I would be interested to hear what pilots think about climbing passes for low exits.

Edited to add, maybe it depends on the type of aircraft.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I was recently at a new DZ, and they balked when I asked for a low pass. I damn near cried.

I try to do a low hop-n-pop on every new DZ as an evaluation jump. Just a habit.

The DZ where I jumped for over a decade would do one low pass per load at any altitude requested with pricing options for 4,500, 8,000 feet, and full-altitude regardless of aircraft - 206, King Air, or Otter.

The DZ where I jump now only does low passes out of the 182s, $10 to board + $1/1000 feet, and it seems to take just 2 or 3 people to send the plane.

At one of the places I jump (C-182) we hardly ever go over 5,000'. We go all the way up for 4-way and tandems, but most of us regulars just love to fly our canopies.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Were you at Eloy and did they tell you that you were not economically viable?
I've never had a problem getting a low pass at Eloy. Although, I have heard of policy changes recently.[:/]
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Were you at Eloy and did they tell you that you were not economically viable?
I've never had a problem getting a low pass at Eloy. Although, I have heard of policy changes recently.[:/]

I was being a smart alec. But ... what are we to do when the DZs tell us that we can't swoop on regular loads (for all the right reasons) and at the same time they won't let us do hop n' flops (for all the wrong reasons).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't think I have ever been to a dropzone that DIDN'T offer low passes. Problem is, there is a wide disparrity between what you pay. I was aghast that it cost fifteen bucks at Z-hills when we only paid $10 at Raeford (that may have changed since I left last year though). It's only eight bucks for a low pass at my dad's two-C 182 dz in Alabama.

My DZ has a remote landing area from the airport. At its normal climb rate, the KA is about 8K by the time we are over the landing area. They'll dump you out if you want, but it is a full price jump.

Is that with the understanding you'll drop down a bit before opening? Seems like the KA might be on jump run before you get down on the ground.

17 for any swoop training I've done at Z-hills :(

Low passes are 17 at the T. Otter dz I go to. 12 at the C206 I go to. The price difference seems fair to me.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't think I have ever been to a dropzone that DIDN'T offer low passes. Problem is, there is a wide disparrity between what you pay. I was aghast that it cost fifteen bucks at Z-hills when we only paid $10 at Raeford (that may have changed since I left last year though). It's only eight bucks for a low pass at my dad's two-C 182 dz in Alabama.

8 dollars?? how low is LOW?

$5 at lodi for 3000 feet, rarely any more, sometimes a little less, and sometimes Bill might give you a little crap. One of the coolest things ive seen is the swoop club at East Troy. They rent the plane and keep it turning for as long as there are people. $8 a load I believe. Too bad I moved before I had much swooping in mind.

SDC gives low passes. Maybe you should come jump here.

I totally have to agree with this and give props to them for "accommodating me".

A bunch of us from Wissota went to SDC over T-Give weekend. My first jump, I had a little issue with my ears. My second jump, I was in pain. I didn't have hearing in my left ear for at least three hours and it finally came back by the next morning. I wasn't going to jump, but thought maybe I'd give a hnp a try (actually a 10 sec delay from 4k'). First one went fine so I did another and no one said a word or portrayed any attitude about "swinging by jump run" at 4k' for me (and a big huge Thank You to Rook for "not giving me any extra altitude"[:/]). I even had someone gladly give me their goggles so I could vasperate if needed (which I couldn't do with my full face).

At Wissota (a 182 only dz) we will always give a low pass if someone wants to do a hnp, but expect some shit if you're breaking up a hot 4 way, but it's all out of love:)
Edited for most spelling.