5w0rdsharky

S/L question

Hello all. Its getting hard to come up with a question that hasnt been answered on here but I guess I want something confirmed that some experienced guys have told me.

Im on my 4th S/L jump and doing DRP's.
Everyone at my club tells me that doing S/L over AFF will make me a "better" skydiver in the end. But I cant really understand why. Is it because S/L students get used to exiting low?
How will S/L make me a better skydiver?

P.S this is not meant to be another S/L or AFF rant!!
lol
B|
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

By the time you fulfill all the requirements for completing the "A" License card, it really doesn't matter which instructional methodology you took. All three instructional methodologies are designed to get you at the same place in roughly the same amount of skydives.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The common points that SL proponents make on here are the SL students:

-Learn to pack sooner.
-Learn to spot better.
-Are more comfortable getting out low in an emergency.
-Focus and as a result are more proficient under canopy.

Even though I was an AFF student I learned to pack, spot, and do lots of low exits very early. I think the quality of your instructors makes more of a difference then the method.

Suprisngly I also ended every AFF jump with a canopy opening, had to focus on canopy manuevers, and land. :P

I do agree with the logic that there are more SL jumps so you have more instructed canopy flights, but at my DZ they didn't ignore you once you were self supervising.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If your DZ follows CSPA's skills grid or USPA's ISP or whatever BPA calls their instructional program, S/L and AFF students should acquire the same skills by the time they earn their A License/Certificate/whatever the heck they call it in your country.
If AFF Instructors are not adding new canopy tasks during every jump, they are slacking off/not earning their pay.
The only advantage to S/L is that you have more closely supervised jumps, earlier in the program to learn packing, spotting, steering, etc.

I think it more depends on the dropzone and the people there than the method. On a big busy DZ it is easy for an AFF graduate to just jump on their own if they are a little shy to ask more experienced jumpers to jump with them.
When I did static line it meant that I had to be observed for each stage of the progression, so my first 20 jumps or so were basiclly coach jumps at no charge. But at that DZ you were never charged for any instruction apart from the FJC

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Thanks guys. I understand. I like the close supervision. Although they tend to leave me to it now. Last jump I had no radio assistance at all which was nice to know that I was doing things right... Even my Flare!! B|

Cant wait for freefall!

Sharky

I did the static line progression up to 15 second delay with altimeter, and then, after emigrating completed AFF.

I feel personally that I got a really good mix of training. However, I believe that the static line process, which takes a lot more time and, in my opinion, effort, offered me a better training experience. I got a lot more exposure to equipment and techniques over a period long enough to benefit from the experience.

If I had to choose a training technique that would result in the best overall skills outcome for a student, I'd recommend the static line progression.

If I had to choose the scariest method (from my perspective), I'd also recommend the static line progression - you learn the hard stuff the hard way, on your own, with no one to assist or advise as you flip towards the earth with brainlock (first 10 second delay).

AFF is, in my view, an excellent training method that gives students a key property - confidence - which helps with the 'relaxation' requirement.

In an ideal world, I think a hybrid training system would offer the advantages of both methods.

(I did my static line progression at kevinwhelans dropzone - It was a good learning environment, with good extended briefs and debriefs for 'free'. It was my pleasure to jump there.)

I think I agree, but there's a double negative in your post that beer is making a meal of.

It is difficult for me to draw a conclusion as to whether a first AFF or static line jump is more psychologically difficult (scary), as I had exposure to SL before AFF. My view (recollection) is that SL is tougher, particularly out of a Cessna 182 where you have the added, unforeseen, stress of climbing out to dangle off the strut with all the wind in creation in the way.

I think the static line progression requires a bit more commitment, and a bit more courage. You ultimately learn to fly on your tod, which requires a dogged approach, unless you're a 'natural'. It seems to me that the static line progression is a 'filter', insofar as the (time and effort) commitment required is higher than a week at a sunny dropzone for an AFF course. I think there are lots of current skydivers who would not have persevered with SL training, had it been the only option.

about fear experience sl versus aff remember the level of fear is individual from one person to another but exiting low can be difficult for an aff student. If you want to experience fear learn by the french aff, they exit non assisted on level two. However I did both sl and aff it's all about getting out of perfect good airplane my friend....;)

I just hate all the windsock watching. The ammount of weeks ive spent at the DZ now just drinking coffee and getting excited when the windsock doesnt move and then goes crazy 5 minutes later!

Drives me nuts!!!
Gonna try to get it 4 or 5 jumps tomorrow and I have Monday off to try and get some more on so hopefully if I nail the DRP's i'll be on freefall..

Have a good weekend flying guys

Sharky