mamajumps

I have an idea....

Do you think there would ever be any need for a network per se for people who worked in the skydiving field? It would be free of charge for the instructor/ camera / coach / packer etc... but a network where the DZO or DZM could call one person and that one person could reference a list of people in the area with the skills the DZO/M was looking for and call them and send them out. I know the majority of DZ's have permanent full time people that work for them, but like in the case of someone sick or hurt or unavailable there would be a fast backup plan available to DZ's in a given area for a small fee? What got me to thinking about this is my husband works in the field here in Florida, but his DZ is at times slow. If there was another DZ in the area that needed someone, it would be one call away. He is trying real hard to not go up north or out west for the summer season, he really doesn't want to leave me and the kids behind. I am a very organized person and would love to offer a service like this to all people who work in the field. Let me know what you think and whether or not you would use a service like this. THANKS!;)

Interesting idea, but I think DZO's take hiring personally. Ideally they will have a list of people in their area who want to work, and will call down the list as needed. Some DZO's don't want anybody who works for the competition, some don't care, and some care only about a specific competitor. The other problem is that business is generally strong on weekends, and soft on weekdays, and that's true for all the DZ's. With that demand profile a service would be hard pressed to deliver reliable talent at high demand periods.

The best bet for people like your husband, is to make direct contact with all the DZO's in the area and make sure they have his contact information and availability.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy