Vertifly

What if you fell out of an airplane without a parachute?

Anyone every belly flopped into water from a diving board? It hurts ALOT! The worst thing you can aim for it water as it does not compress well apon impact (if its still water). Its actually better to aim for concrete as it compresses better than water. Your best shot at survival is to aim for a freshly tilled field as the dirt will compress more than anything else.

Regardless, if you did end out out of a plane without a chute you would just have to kiss your ass goodbye.

I would aim for a car owned by someone I did not like...kind of like a final way of saying "Fuck you" to the guy.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I would try to find a swampy or marshy area and PLF;) actually years ago , there was a show on about a sky diver that landed in a guys front yard that had just been sodded or was being prepared to be sodded if i remember correctly and survived ! The guy hit feet first and the owner of the house found him buried up to his waist, broke damn near everything but lived!

Take one shoe off and put it down my pants.

It won't help, but it'll drive people crazy trying to figure out how it happened, and it'll give me something to focus on besides the ground. :P

Wendy W.

This has got to be one of the funniest posts ive seen here or the rec....no shit ..good one Mav.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I'd try and go head-down so I hit as hard as possible, head-first. I figure dying from falling out of a plane without a parachute isn't so bad. But surviving after falling out of a plane without a parachute might suck a lot.

Note this is different from what I'd do if I had a spinning reserve ride. That's because I consider those two completely different categories of "potential survivability".

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Did you guys ever see this? I'm sure some of you have...

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/carkeet.html

The Free Fall Research Page, talks about falling out of aircraft and such and some of the people who have survived!

Also I coulda swore there was a freefall survivors club with a small amount of members still alive but can't seem to find it now.

Just some food for thought:

January 26, 1972 in History
Event:
Stewardess Vesna Vulovic survives 10,160m fall without parachute

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43941

Chris

Funny how they always forget to mention the big chunk of fuselage (I believe it was the tail section) she landed inside of. Technically, she never really left the plane (what was left of it), so she does not really qualify as "freefall survivor".

Cheers,

Vale

{thats why they make swoop ponds out of concrete then Doos... }

Doos?!? Granted I have not lived in South Africa for a few years, but thats not the nicest word in the world is it :P.

Anyway, swooping is somewhat different than hitting water at 120mph. Angles and speeds are very different.

Well, if it was at Eloy... I'd aim for the tunnel and see if I could hit one of those big exhaust ports. :P

Now, if I was in a commercial airliner that broke up mid-air (at a realistic altitude of course) I'd sure as hell unbuckle my seatbelt and get in one last freefly jump. If all else fails, I'll try and dock on some flailing whuffo and give 'em a thumbs-up just to see the look on their face. :D

edit for spellin'
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

not sure what i would do, i guess it depends on the situation and my mood at the time.

but here's a question for all: do you want to see it coming or not? stare it in the face, and fight til the end; or turn over and try to accept it and relax one last time?

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

I am going to track for the thicket of pine trees... and kiss my ass good bye. No flailing, just a nice track till the end. :ph34r:

I wonder if a really good floater track out of a flaming airplane at 150 feet, decreases vertical descent rate suddenly enough to be much more survivable landing in snow/mud/trees. (Convert horizontal velocity into sustained decreased vertical velocity).

Then again, if that airplane had a functioning eject system or there was enough horizontal velocity to crash-land more safely. (Unless, imaginarily, it was a fighther jet and it was full of bombs ready to explode on impact.)

i know somebody who recovered a few bodies from bridge suicides, aparently if u jump from high enough and land feet first you have a good chance of the tops of your legs coming out where your collar bones are! damn, dont know if i wanna survive that. if i had the time, i would probably go head down and see how fast i could get before impact.