skydave238

Jump pilot rating test

Background:

Very recently our Directorate of Civil Aviation (DCA) in Namibia (Equivalent of the FAA in other places) enforced that as from 1 June 2007 all our Jump Pilots are to have written and passed a Jump Pilots test as administered by the Parachute Association of Namibia (PANAM) in order to obtain a "Jump Pilots Rating" Without this rating they may not fly a jump plane.

Are there any other places around the world that require a jump pilot to have written a test or have a rating? I know that many places in the States offer jump pilot training, but do they require their pilots to write an official test in order to obtain some form of rating?

The best people to ask these questions are the jump pilots who skydive too. We only have two.
So I pose this question to everyone.

Question:

What would you test the pilot on?

Thanx in advance,

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Question:

What would you test the pilot on?

There is no FAA test for jump pilots, and there is no jump pilot rating.

Things I would test include (this is just a start, other should add in more...):

Weight and balance; compute a weight and balance for a load of jumpers under given conditions, and/or determine if a load of jumpers is within weight and balance as configured, and what will need to be changed to get the load in balance.

Compute take off and landing distance for the given jump plane, including ground roll and over a 50 foot hazard.

Explain how temperature affects take off, climb, and landing. Define temperature limits with a specified short runway.

Explain/demonstrate aerodynamics of slow flight, and of tight turns.

Demonstrate climbing turns at MCA.

Define stall speeds both clean and dirty, and explain how bank angle interacts with standard stall speeds.

Demonstrate tight turn stalls.

Explain/demonstrate spin recovery.

Define all V speeds for the aircraft being flown.

Define how and why aircraft control might be difficult in a multi-engine airplane with the loss of the most critical engine.

Demonstrate minimum speed in a multi-engine airplane with only one engine.

In a multi-engine airplane, simulate loss of most critical engine at rotation.

Describe and demonstrate best glide airspeed for the given aircraft. Calculate glide distance at best glide speed from a variety of altitudes.

Describe response to loss of engine power in a single engine airplane at rotation. Define how much altitude is required for a 180 degree turn at best glide speed.

Describe all regulations pertaining to skydiving in your country.

Explain how to inspect a jumpers rig to ensure it is legal and safe for use in your airplane.

Describe what a premature parachute opening is, how it might harm the jump plane, and what the correct response would be.

Describe the response to a static line student in tow.

Explain the additional risks when a pilot places skydivers in a position where they are likely to land away from a designated landing zone.

Explain hypoxia at normal jump altitudes, includes the symptoms. Explain the risk factors for hypoxia in a skydiving environment. Explain how these risk factors might increase the risk of hypoxia for jumpers and pilots at a multi-day event.

Describe and demonstrate a complete preflight inspection, including getting a conventional airplane ready for skydiving for the first time.

Demonstrate climbing and descending turns and slow flight with instruments only, and again by reference only to exterior sources.

Calculate fuel use for climb, descent, and a complete jump run at various power settings. Determine quantity of unusable fuel. Explain how climbs, descents, and turns may impact flight with minimum fuel.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Tom,

Whilst I completely agree with what you have said, the majority of the non-skydiving specific points are in fact ATPL level performance and mass & balance, and a little touch on principles of flight. If you consider that at least in the UK, a PPL and single engine class rating is sufficient to fly jump aircraft, do you think its feasible to expect ATPL theory of a pilot flying a 172 in an upwards spiral?

I do think all your points were very valid, and there are more t add, but I think implementing that level of required theory isn't practical, and therefore I personally can see a 'rating' being a little farsical to be honest, maybe more an effort to be seen to be doing something.

The UK CAA would like nothing more to charge people for the stamp in a para-pilots logbook and written exams!:o

Regards..

quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

When I look at accident data and watch pilots in the field, it's pretty clear that some critical pieces of information are missing. I'm an FAA certificated commercial pilot in single and multi-engine airplanes (instruments), and also rated in gliders. I have made more than 4,500 jumps from all kinds of airplanes, and have watched plenty of pilots. Some are good, but there are some I will never fly with again. I like the idea of a jump pilot specific rating, or at least a sign-off from an experienced jump pilot. We don't have that here in the United States, but I think we should.

Flying jumpers is really a commercial operation. A jump pilot takes passengers for a ride, and is often pushing the aerodynamics of the aircraft near the limits. It's a tough flying job that requires a well trained pilot.

A jump pilot should prove an ability well beyond the private pilot level. And, when a ATP level pilot begins flying jumpers, he should be expected to review all the basics of flight and relate them to the specifics of jump plane operation.

For example, a private pilot often doesn't know that a plane will stall easier in a tight turn, and an established ATP may have forgotten this important piece of aerodynamics. Weight and balance is also critical since we are often loading airplanes to the limits, and we take out the seats, making it more challenging to compute a balance point. Pilots should understand this and should be able to quickly and easily identify an improperly loaded airplane.Things like this really need to be reviewed in specific the context of jump operations.

If a jump pilot is only flying in single engine airplanes he shouldn't be expected to demonstrate multi-engine tasks, but I still think he should understand the theory behind loss of the most critical engine, so he better understands the issues in more advanced flight operations.

The suggestion that this level of required theory "isn't practical" bothers me. I believe this level of theory is necessary, and should be easily demonstrated by a well trained pilot. I don't want anything less in the front seat of my jump plane.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

I thought the BPA *did* regulate jump pilots?

At least, that was explained to me as one of the reason it's so hard to get a balloon jump in the UK - the balloon pilot has to also be a BPA jump pilot.

Is this the case?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

For example, a private pilot often doesn't know that a plane will stall easier in a tight turn, and an established ATP may have forgotten this important piece of aerodynamics.

That bit of information forms part of the PPL knowledge test, and stalls during turns are part of the PPL flight test. I think you are stretching things a bit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For example, a private pilot often doesn't know that a plane will stall easier in a tight turn, and an established ATP may have forgotten this important piece of aerodynamics.

That bit of information forms part of the PPL knowledge test, and stalls during turns are part of the PPL flight test. I think you are stretching things a bit.

Then why does the industry have a problem with pilots stalling and spinning when the engine fails on take off, and they respond by making a tight 180 back to the airport?

That's knowledge and skill that needs to be reinforced, especially with jump pilots in single engine airplanes taking off with light fuel and a heavy load, from small runways with aircraft that are not always well maintained.

Tight turns at slow speed kill, and while pilots should understand this, too often they don't associate that book knowledge with specific actions. If we are going to devise a test for jump pilots, as the original poster said is happening in his country, I believe it should cover these basics.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Weight and balance; compute a weight and balance for a load of jumpers under given conditions, and/or determine if a load of jumpers is within weight and balance as configured, and what will need to be changed to get the load in balance.

Also how the W & B changes while the jumpers move around, and exit. 5 floaters and everyone jammed in the back of the Otter or Caravan makes it fly differently than with everyone seated for take off.

Another topic would include aerodynamic effects of "floaters"

Since many DZ's do "formation loads" some education in formation flying would also be appropriate.

Any other ideas?

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Indeed Tom, I do completely agree with what you say, and certainly would like a more regulated pilot force in skydiving.

As you mention, there is a lot of 'show-boating' amongst the para dropping community. It is only a matter of time before they start slamming into the floor. Completely unnecessary, and done for the most part by pilots that really shouldn't be showing off.

A lot of para-dropping pilots are also using the experience as a stepping stone to the airlines, so one could presume these ones are fairly fresh out of training, having just been issued an ATPL. Hopefully most will be enthusiastic and mindful of what they have learnt to date.

What bothers me is equally what bothers you, it is the practicality which is the main hurdle. When you consider that a 172 pilot who holds a PPL and nothing more, and a King Air pilot who has an ATPL, and everything inbetween, I just think that the test would either be a formality of sorts, unless there is to be individual tests for all different aircraft. Not a bad idea in theory I guess.

One way or another, I do agree - aerodynamics and performance parameters in skydiving are as dynamic and variable as any other aviation out there.

Re Joellercoaster; I don't know for sure, but I think the pilots operating on BPA dropzones are as a minimum PPL holders, and in order to drop us, they must have a BPA recommendation. I don't believe there is anything formal about the process though, alarmingly.

Kind regards
quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

For what its worth the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) requires all pilots involved in parachure operation to hold a parachute drop rating.

The outline of the rating is very general and the nature of the training and the issue of the rating is determined by the operator.

Overall I like Tom's points. Since the pilot is embarking on a professional career (or particular branch of his professional career) there should be no problem with a detailed theoretical requirement. This should not cost anything more than his time.
My only objection is with this:

Explain how to inspect a jumpers rig to ensure it is legal and safe for use in your airplane.

As far as I know the responsibility of the pilot for the condition of the skydivers' skills and equipment is a peculiarity limited to the Americans. In my view it is bad law and should not be copied. If Namibian law does not currently indicate the pilot as responsible then nothing should be done to encourage the authorities or courts to hold them so in the future.