pfloyd

Reason for your cutaway

mals are funny to me I have had none in 500 jumps ever, but i always expect one. I have seen people go with 7000 jumps and have none and then may have a few in a week or something like that. I pack in bout 5-7 min don't screw with it too much and its worked great. I have seen a guy who is meticulous about his pack jobs have mals, and you know thats just the baffling part of it all. In a way mals are hard to make happen and in others they aren't. I do believe you MUST know how the canopy reacts to different packing i think that is huge because even though it could be the same exact brand and type you can almost bet the two will be different in the way they open and charcterisitics they may have. So i guess what the heckI don't know. Get with a good rigger if your worried about it and have them watch you pack and tell you what your doing, right, wrong, indifferent.

I want to thank everyone who shared their stories with me, you guys have been there and done that! Im not worried about my packjobs, in fact I think I pack great! I was just figuring odds for bad luck or what not. But I hear a lot about tension knots and old line jobs, and that worries me. My rig had 650 jumps on the original line set when I bought it and ive put about 15 jumps on it since. I have had on heading great opening so far, but since I dont want to temp fate, I think a new line set is in order in the very near future. So thanks again everyone --blue skies ;)
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

I'll let ya know . . . if I ever have one.

That's awesome! You never chopped till now?
My goal is at least 1000 jumps with out.
Maybe it'll work. Your post has giving me faith. :P

I haven't yet.

I believe there are several factors involved; canopy selection, wing loading, gear maintenance, care in packing, not pulling so low that minor issues require cutting away and of course, just the luck of the draw.

I know at least one skydiver, a board surfer, multiple national champion, now retired taking care of her children that went her entire skydiving career of (I think) around 3500 jumps without a canopy cutaway.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

1 - quick packing to make sunset load, put the bag in the tray sloppy, 2 of the right side A lines were wrapped around everything else, spinner!

2 - line twists due to poor body position in a wingsuit, I later learned that my left side MLW had some stitching problems and had lengthened a bit so I was leaning in my harness, ran out of altitude to kick out

3 - lazy pc pitch in a wingsuit, pc handle tucked itself inside the base of the mesh, spinning reserve cuz left side entangled with the pc bridle, happy ending after getting out of my wingsuit and undoing the reserve/pc mess

So 2 self-induced and one due to very old gear. :P

3 - lazy pc pitch in a wingsuit, pc handle tucked itself inside the base of the mesh, spinning reserve cuz left side entangled with the pc bridle, happy ending after getting out of my wingsuit and undoing the reserve/pc mess

So 2 self-induced and one due to very old gear. :P

So glad you had a happy ending there! Never give up!

Well, I would have to say the reason for my chop would have been the fact that my canopy had another person inside of it.

fyi, they don't like to fly like that.

OMG:S

I bet I would have needed to change my undies after that 1!:D

Bill Booth said something like 50% of all malfuctions could be avoided with proper body position.......

I've made a point to really work on that.

Three things cause parachute malfunctions:

1) Faulty equipment
2) Bad body position at opening
3) Poor packing

Hope this helps!!
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

That's so cool!!!! So you jump with a secondary belly mont reserve?

yep, it's a double cutaway system, you can cut away the reserve (square one) too if you need to. Of course then you're left with the round on your belly :S most manufacturers have one they'll rent out through the dzo for safety day or for tandem I's who need to do a cutaway
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

#1 due to tension knots, it was nice and slow and calm, I just couldn't steer the thing.

#2 was a spinner, I had a bag lock but I had dumped at 4500 so I had time to skake it out. The bag was spinning so when I finally got the damb canopy out it started taking me for a ride. I tried to get out of it for a bit but that shit wasn't happenin, so chopchop:|
I got nuthin

1- mis-stowed excess brake line 135 jumps, know it all bs. left brake wouldnt clear and already at 1500. cya

2- same exact problem same side. 230ish. slow down every once in a while... 1200ft. chop chop

3- sent rig in for flap stiffener mod, forced to pay for main "inspection" came back packed and ready to go... too bad they never took the main out of the bag to inspect it because they would have seen they hooked it up backwards. 2200 ft. plenty of time. later.

4- 380ish jumps, too drunk to be bother with packing, pay 16y/o non-jumper to pack for me, stay up all night until morning helicopter load, exit from 3500, deploy a bag lock at 2k... that one woke me up.

so 4 in 400. not too shabby.

Whats up, so far I haven't had a cutaway but I know its just a mater of time.

It's great that you are constantly aware of the possibilty of a mal...But why is it just a matter of time.....? Seems like after 30 jumps you are almost expecting one....

Not that I expect a mal, I just know that there is a possibility it could happen. And I just want to be prepared for that event. And learning from other people went through couldn't hurt.;)

Well, I would have to say the reason for my chop would have been the fact that my canopy had another person inside of it.

fyi, they don't like to fly like that.

OMG:S

I bet I would have needed to change my undies after that 1!:D

Nah, was a good time, he ended up having to chop too as my cutaway main entagled his Xfire after he got out after I chopped....we landed our reserves in the same field....all tweaked out. Was awesome. Like a first jump all over again.

1. Diving line twists after a perfectly stable HNP depoyment. I have no idea what caused the problem but it was a really immediate and obvious that it was going to need to go away.

2. A packing error that trapped my risers in the container. I couldn't identify what was wrong because my head was pinned to my chest.
Owned by Remi #?

#1 : My fault... single brake fire... fast turn, inexperience... chop, reserve ride (round).... live. Buy beer.

#2 : Packing error (?) : My fault... possible bag lock or slow opening... Chop, reserve ride... pay for repack.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Accidently pulled my reserve handle on deployment, but the wire didn't come all the way out of the harness. Looked up and only saw one canopy. So I put my rip cord (ff #6 so I was still using a spring loaded pc) down my jumpsuit and put the reserve handle back in the harness. Just as I got the reserve handle in the harness my reserve inflated. Side by side, checked my lines to make sure they were clear and cutaway.

Side by side, checked my lines to make sure they were clear and cutaway.

why cutaway a side by side?

Were they flying erratically or sable?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

why cutaway a side by side?

In my opinion, it's far safer to land a single reserve than to land a side-by-side, no matter how well-behaved it is.

My last cutaway was due to some dude being tangled up in the middle of my canopy - but that's CRW for you.:P

Kevin

In my opinion, it's far safer to land a single reserve than to land a side-by-side, no matter how well-behaved it is.

Is the chace of an entanglement a factor when cutting away a side by side?
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Is the chace of an entanglement a factor when cutting away a side by side?
-

The entanglement factor in cutting away a side-by-side is not as great as with a front-back configuration, but it still does exist. As some things are in skydiving, there are some complicating factors. I should probably rethink my reply, as it may not be the best thing for all circumstances. The best way to perform a clean cutaway from a side-by-side is to split the canopies apart as in a downplane or a semi-downplane. This makes the entanglement potential very low. The earlier poster stated that her two-out occurred on jump # 6. I certainly would not expect an inexperienced jumper to try a move like that, so if the side-by-side were stable it would probably be best to land it.

Kevin K.

I once read in one of Don Yahrling’s manuals a quote, went something like:

“Do not cut away a Side by Side configuration unless you are absolutely, positively, totally, completely and utterly certain beyond the shadow of a doubt the two canopies will not entangle.”

Good old Don, always had a way with words eh?
I can look through some piles of old junk, maybe I still have that manual somewhere.

Me personally, I would not induce a Downplane, I do not have CRW experience enough to be certain I could pull that off –

A Side by Side, I am going to keep and land safely if at all possible (duh). I have witnessed someone recover from a Downplane at -100’ agl, so I would be ready to chop if the situation called for it. I have also seen a few 2-Out situations where the jumper cutaway that resulted in an entanlement - not pretty landings...

The primary trick when landing is to keep the fabric overhead – if the jumper and canopy(s) land at the same time, not good…
-
Mykel AFF-I10

Totally my fault. [:/] Didn't get a pin check in the plane before exit and my bridle had gotten caught on something so as I was exiting a 6-way, my container was coming open. Started out as a horseshoe and ended up as a twisted up baglock over my head at 11 grand. Needless to say, that mess had to go bye-bye = first chop.

Lesson learned: GET A PIN CHECK IN THE PLANE! ;)

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site