superstu

deployment altitudes?

I would like to know your average deployment altitudes for either RW or FF.

I only put these 2 disciplines down on purpose as these are the majority of what people do.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I used to deploy at 2000 for a long time, but after a couple of cypres fires and numerous low pulls, I moved it up to 2500, especially after I got married... :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

From my perspective, there's no point pulling below 3k, absent exceptional circumstances. FFing I often pull a little higher, because the spot tends to be longer.

Personally, regularly pulling at 2k5 or lower on a high-performance canopy is risk I don't want. If you're normally open at 1600-1800ft and have a diving twisty thing, the 3-4 seconds it takes to decide that it's unsolvable and it's time to go can put you down at 1000ft. Take an extra second or two to find your reserve handle 'cause you're dizzy and all of a sudden you're down in "I really hope I don't have a reserve pilot chute hesitation" territory...

I would like to know your average deployment altitudes for either RW or FF.

I only put these 2 disciplines down on purpose as these are the majority of what people do.

3K for RW or freefly. Gives enough time to get back to the DZ from an average turbine load with sufficient altitude to setup for a high-performance landing, enough time to let impatient people under bigger canopies spiral down and land first instead of passing them at pattern altitudes, and enough time to become belly to earth between cutting away and deploying my reserve (last cutaway I didn't know how high I was and just dumped whilst arching. While it worked well enough I didn't have warm fuzzies about the body position).

On wingsuit jumps I pull lower.

I don't fly wingsuits myself, so I don't know... but it seems like it makes more sense to pull higher with a wingsuit. More potential complications... more time to deal with them?

Am I off base?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

i break at 4.5 and track till 3.7 wave off and pull 3.5 fully open at 2.5, i cant for the life of me understand why some people insist on pulling at 2k, can someone explain
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Hey MB, im no wingsuit flyer either, but I think the reason wingsuits are ok with lower pulls is because the rate of descent is much much less, so while it may take up 500-700ft of air to be under canopy in normal freefall, a wingsuit jumper will use maybe half that.

Not sure on the exact figures etc but im pretty sure the reasoning is right! :P
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

um depends on if i am working on canopy stuff as well. Normal Freefly jump break 4.5 wave at 3500. If i want to work on canopy stuff a bit as well will break at 6K and dump at 5K since i can't do high altitude hop and pops at my home dz

I would say that the majority, probably even the vast majority of wingsuit pilots pull higher. The wingsuit just adds a lot more complication to the opening process and the chance of having a mal is higher, especially on more highly loaded eliptical canopies where linetwists can be really bad. A lot of suits you cant reach the risers to correct diving openings if you have to, and kicking in a leg wing is tougher. The rate of decent is slower sure, but just like a hop and pop, airspeed is going to make your canopy open, so wingsuit jumps snivel a little longer than normal jumps. I havent really measured it, but I doubt theres too much of a difference in opening altitude.

RW and FF jumps I wave at 3K and pitch.

Wingsuit jumps I wave and pitch at 5K, I'm still very very new to wingsuit and want as much time as possible to fuck up my deployment sequence and get the arms unzipped/legs stowed.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?