UnusualAttitude

Know Your Rig from Parachutist

Hi guys,

I've been subscribing to Parachutist for about a year now...but haven't been reading all the articles. In the last two issues I started reading the "Know Your Rig" article and I really like it.

However, I'm missing the first three...anyone willing to scan them and upload them or email them to me?

Thanks ;-)

For the last four yrs. I have had a certain way of stowing the extra 18 inches or so of lines below my risers to my deployment bag. I never really liked it and sometimes had semi hard or off heading openings. Last month in know your rig they showed me a different option and also recomended not putting the bag in the containor lines down and then turning it into place. Have done 5 jumps with the new procedure and love it. Thanks parachutist.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Once my lines are stowed on the deployment bag I have aprox. 18 inches of line left. I bring my bag past the bottom of my container, tuck in my risers, and lay the extra line in the bottom of the pack tray in orderly folds. Then I bring my deployment bag back up and lay it in the pack tray just the way it will be whan fully packed. Then I carefully tuck it all in being sure not to upset my line stows. Then I close my container as usual. So far so good.

Basically to keep them from snagging on anything on deployment. you just want them coming out clean and in sequence with the rest of your deployment. This will hopfully prevent line twists or worse.

There was a discussion a couple of years ago in Gear and Rigging (here)[url] about how much line to leave at the end, and how to stow it. Bill Booth posted in it, and I tend to give what he writes a lot of weight.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)