RkyMtnHigh

Have you ever jumped with a knee brace?

I have a hinged knee brace and wonder if anyone has jumped with one. I have jumped with ankle stabilizers in the past which actually gave nice support for my ankles when landing, but not sure about jumping/landing with a hinged knee brace.

Hello RkyMtnHigh!

I severed my ACL about 25 years ago without knowing it and jumped without any problems except for an occasional tweak through the knee.

17 years ago the severed ACL was discovered but not repaired and I got a Townsend Brace. I jumped with it for Tandem and AFF jumps but was hit or miss with it for RW jumps.

I never had a tweak while skydiving when I was wearing the brace.

Last year I had the ACL fixed and got an updated double hinged knee brace. Can't remember the manufacturer. And if I were still jumping, the brace would be used for all jumps. It was that much better than the Townsend.

That's my brace story. Hope it helps.

Blue SKies, Flip

I jump with a hinged ACL brace made by Breg. It works great and my knee feels so much more stable when I'm wearing it. I trashed my left ACL a couple of years ago and having the brace has been a huge help. It actually works great for knee lock exits too!

I have a hinged knee brace and I won't skydive without it. I have pretty unstable knee and after 2 surgeries thats just hows its always going to be. I use it when I ski too.

Not problem, just make sure that you wear something over it so that there are no snag points, no matter how unlikely it is that your lines will be by yo legs. Murphy rules.

As for landing I am nice to myself and don't even think about swooping and I have a Pilot 188 and weigh 184 naked. You figure the wing loading.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I tore my anterior cruxiate ligament 2 months ago and have both a hinged brace and a more flexible one for sport. I use the flexible one for skydiving - it's more comfortable and provides enough support (even with dodgy landings! ;):$)

I also wear an ankle brace that I probably don't need anymore, but I figure it doesn't bother me so I'll rather wear it "just in case" than not. I'll more than likely also stay with the knee brace for the same reasons

-Chanti-

Yes. I have a hinged Mc David brace that I use from time to time (these old joints aren't what they used to be). If/when I pick up a knee injury (aches and pains from running and squash, usually), I wear a brace and ankle supports, as insurance.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yep, I've never jumped without one. Probably won't. After my ACL was rebuilt the conversation with my surgeon went something like this:

Me: So Doc, how will I know when I don't need the brace anymore?

Doc: Take it off and try it- if you blow the knee again, you needed it.

Me: Uh, thanks Doc.

Still wearing one after 12 years. I don't want to rehab it again.

I just always wear a jumpsuit or a pair of pants that covers it. Snag points are my biggest worry on that thing.

I love that pic B|

I was reading this thread beacuse I'm recovering from a Tibia Plateau Fracture 5 weeks ago. I am concerned that when I do get back up (Dr say's 6 months) I may need some kind of brace. It's really good to hear that this is not going to be a issue.

Never mind the ankle ... how did you keep from freezing ur ass off, what was the air temp on exit ?

blue skies and hopefully warm ones here in Orlando B|

Edited by slotperfect at the user's request

99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

It was about 800 ft, so I didn't really get that cold. I had the baddest whiplash from opening shock though because you can't really launch stable off that thing. They wouldn't let me jump at the dz because I was in a walking cast, and I was getting pretty desperate. Talked a pilot friend into letting me make use of his paraglider thingy.

That looks like a BAD place to break at, does your xray.B| Kudos on not giving up.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm going to PT 2x/week. She used the electro-stimulus therapy as well as ultrasound therapy as well as some simple range of motion type exercises. Next I'll be on the leg extension machine, lots of reps with low weight. Followup with the orthopod is in 2 weeks and if I get the thumbs up, I'll be back to jumping but will definitely keep the hinged brace on.

She used the electro-stimulus therapy

That stuff rocks huh? I almost went and got one of the off shelf brands after my pt just because I missed the way it felt. Those things will do wonders for you.

At first she turned it up too high and I asked her if this was some type of Zen torture camp:ph34r:..but after turning it down a little it felt tingley. Took some getting used to.

i jump for one year now with a Donjoy knee brace, articulated carbon-kevlar. after tweaking badly my left knee while exiting the cessna ...
it's really OK and make no difference appart of keeping my knee aligned and giving me the ability to run when landing :)

--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

yes, I've jumped with knee brace last year for few months due to an injury which I didn't need surgery, but lots of physical therapy.
It helped me to work on my landings and being stable when I was walking.

I had it for about 3-4 months and then started to bother me, so I quit wearing it.
so far, it's ok.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

The knee brace can be great for sit flying, you can put a chest mount altimeter on it and it's like have knees for a dashboard! I tore my ACL in 95, used the knee brace as an altimeter mount and still see versions of the idea used around the DZ to this day.;)

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.