mijnjiku

My first weekend as a skydiver. (AFF experiences)

I headed down to the dropzone Saturday with the initial intention of doing the IAD course. As I'm getting ready to pay I make the last minute switch decision to go with AFF.

Made 1 jump that day and passed my level one. I passed but my leg position needed work (a lot as I would come to find out), more arch (as expected) and my practice touches were (as I kinda expected) kinda flaky as my arms were not used to being pushed around by air moving at 120 mph. But I pulled on time, and the landing was an "almost-sliding-on-my-butt stand up" (it was muddy) and I felt good about it.

Today, I began with level 2. Dive flow was exit, COA, practice tuch, alt check, 90 degree left turn, alt check, forward movement for 3 seconds with arms in the W position and legs extended, then wave off at 5.5 with a pull at 5. I completed all the freefall objectives except that my pulltime was late (pulled at 4.5). So the most important part of the jump failed me. I also made a great standup/run off landing except that I was turning ever so slightly in the seconds leading up to it. On my retake, since I completed the freefall maneuvers I wasn't under any pressure to do them all, it was more about maintaining alt awareness. So I skipped the 3 second forward movement and pulled on time. I also flared the landing without radio assistance for another good standup. (Did have pattern assistance though)

Then we have level 3. :S Level 3 dive flow was simple. Burn a hole through the sky while remaining stable after the instructor has released you. Well once again I had serious leg position issues which translated into arch issues and long story short... I was on my back 3 times, and pulled around 3, :o:S:|:( and I was in the seat at 2 to which my response was a simple "shit!". I don't think the dive could have been any more botched except for having waited 2 seconds longer to pull which probably would have had me in a 2-out situation.

On the retake, I yet again had spinning problems after release but there were probably... 6 seconds of what looked like (on the video) good stability (a fluke though as my legs were still not in the right position) which was more than attempt 1, but still horrible. I did not go on my back so the arch was better but again, legs got me wound up and it was messy. Lost alt awareness yet again, missed my pull by 500 (pulled around 4) and was in the seat by 3. It was better but still horrible. (I'll upload video later tonight if I can figure out how)

Initial problems to deal with are:

alt awareness. (when the shit got hairy it was unfortunately not in the forefront of my mind)
legs not being extended correctly
more arch (of course)
dipping knees (which coincides with more arch)

I was so concerned with trying to be stable that I was overcorrecting (improperly at times) and it was really just a big mess. The worst part was that my mind would get tied up with what I was doing wrong and how I might try to fix it that I forgot to pay attention to my altitude. Though on the 2nd retake of level 3 I at least checked my alt before pulling so even then, there was improvement.

So obviously, as expected, BODY POSITION!

I'm thinking/planning to head out the AZ wind tunnel to knock a block of time out on learning how to be stable first and foremost, and also pick up on some maneuvering. If I can get the basic stability down that will be one less thing trying to get in the way of the more important factor: altitude awareness.

Wish I could show you video of the first L3 jump. That would make many people scared.

I've just started the process of making reservations for a trip to Skyventure AZ for some tunnel coaching. I figure this expenditure will prove invaluable in becoming a full fledged skydiver. It's all terribly exciting and I can't wait.

Don't worry. Many people fail levels of the AFF. I was really starting to get down on myself when I failed 3 2x's. Then I found out it was normal and herd about a woman who had 30 or something jumps before she passed AFF. The biggest thing is to relax. I know your instructors have/will say it over and over and the whole time you are thinking "Yeah, right" But once that clicked for me, the rest of Aff was a breeze.

JAMES

Yeah don't get down on yourself. I had a nasty flat spin problem around jump 15-16, (after a year layoff). The way I worked with it is punch out my arch and then go limp throughout my entire body. This stopped my muscles from fighting. Also a tip I got from my instructors was to click your heels. Anyway don't feel too bad about the problems in the air, but above all work on your altitude awareness. I had a jump where I tried doing turns and I started flipping like crazy. All throughout this I looked at my altimeter as I was trying to fix the issue and told myself no matter what body position I was in I was going to pull at the right altitude. The "relax" comes with just doing more jumps. Good Luck and talk with your instructors about it and try to still have fun.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Welcome to the skies :)Keep your head up, you will eventually get your stability right! ;) Speak to your instructors about using the wind tunnel before you go. After all, the will know exactly what should be done to solve your problem!

Good luck!

Dave

Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Many people fail levels of the AFF.

One cannot fail an AFF level. They can only not move on to the next category.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Having a good body position is all about denying your body those "reach for something" types of instincts that cause you to do something you shouldn't. If you're getting out of an arched position, all you have to do is resist fighting the unintended position you have yourself in, relax and arch.

Everyone does pretty crappy in AFF, especially the first category/level and most people have spinning issues or something along those lines. Don't let it bother you.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

It took me around 6 jumps because I was stable in FF, my only problem: I wasn't relaxed! Everyone has already said it so you should trust us.

Regarding the wind tunnel, it's going to be cheaper for you but it's also a lot harder to do manuvers in a tunnel than in the sky. If you can master the tunnel you have no problem in the sky (but you might frustrate the hell out of yourself in the tunnel :P).

Biggest thing, don't quit. If this was easy it wouldn't be any fun! You'll be doing backflips before you know it.

I've had a lot of problems with AFF 3. I've done it 3 times, and still have not passed. I finally got myself some tunnel time booked in at Skydive Perris. I highly recommend getting a coach in the tunnel too.

I did 30 minutes in the tunnel with Perris Fury coach, Chris Farina. You can see some of it here: http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5724

Your skills with improve 10 or 20 fold.

What I accomplished with 30 minutes in the tunnel, would not have compared to what I would have accomplished with 30 skydives. You learn a lot faster, and do not have the stress of worrying about business end of the dive.

I'd recommend at least 1/2 hour, or more if you can.

Have fun in the tunnel, its a blast!

I've had a lot of problems with AFF 3. I've done it 3 times, and still have not passed. I finally got myself some tunnel time booked in at Skydive Perris. I highly recommend getting a coach in the tunnel too.

I did 30 minutes in the tunnel with Perris Fury coach, Chris Farina. You can see some of it here: http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5724

Your skills with improve 10 or 20 fold.

What I accomplished with 30 minutes in the tunnel, would not have compared to what I would have accomplished with 30 skydives. You learn a lot faster, and do not have the stress of worrying about business end of the dive.

I'd recommend at least 1/2 hour, or more if you can.

Have fun in the tunnel, its a blast!

I have scheduled 30 minutes of tunnel time with Andy Delk at Skyventure AZ for this Sunday. I look forward to getting the same kind of results you experienced with your tunnel training. Being able to, effectively, skydive 15 times in a row without having to pause for canopy time definitely seems like the best way to learn how to fly your body.

I can't wait! ;-)