OSOK

Using Paypal...

Hey all...

Just looking for some advice on the following. Recently came across a good rig deal from the UK... not sure if the guy might be up for a middle man since it's international. Is paypal a 'safe' way to go about it? I've used it many times but never had to rely on it to get my money back for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Hi mate,

Paypal is relatively safe yes and there will be an official record of the transaction. In order for the guy on the other end to withdraw the funds, he must have added a bank account - this bank account will always be linked to him as its impossible to get an account without multiple forms of ID. So should any dodgyness go down, he can be tracked. So I would say unless he is a serious fraudster, you should be ok. Im no paypal expert though but ive had alot of dealings with them.
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

I alway use paypal for international deals, if possible (some people cannot set it ip, might depend on the people or the country, haven't decided yet LOL). Paypal is great for stuff like this, although sometimes you have to pay fees, this also seems to depend on the country and if it's a person or a business you're dealing with and if said person paid by creditcard funds.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'd also recommend paying with a credit card. Yep, the seller will probably incur some extra fees, and he/she may pass them on to you...but think of it as 'insurance'.

Paypal itself doesn't give you much protection...and it certainly doesn't give you as much protection as you'll have if you put it on something plastic. Do it that way, and if something goes wrong, your credit card company will be darn sure that your (& their) interests are looked out for.

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

I can't see why he wouldn't be Just ask or you could make his dz or rigger his go between :)

Get YOUR rigger to act as escrow. Best deal in town. No fuss, no muss and damn sure no problems getting your money back if the deal isn't what you are looking for.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hey all...

Just looking for some advice on the following. Recently came across a good rig deal from the UK... not sure if the guy might be up for a middle man since it's international. Is paypal a 'safe' way to go about it? I've used it many times but never had to rely on it to get my money back for whatever reason.

Thanks!

If you read the fine print, paypal doesn't really protect you. I used it to buy a neptune and got screwed on the deal. Paypal did NOT protect me because I did not buy the item on ebay. Even so, they wouldn't have really helped me. Paying with a credit card is important because there are other fraud protections that credit cards have. If you complain to your credit card company they will go after the person who screwed them which is much more likely to get a positive result than you trying to go after someone.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

If you read the fine print, paypal doesn't really protect you. I used it to buy a neptune and got screwed on the deal. Paypal did NOT protect me because I did not buy the item on ebay. Even so, they wouldn't have really helped me. Paying with a credit card is important because there are other fraud protections that credit cards have. If you complain to your credit card company they will go after the person who screwed them which is much more likely to get a positive result than you trying to go after someone.

credit card protection can be just as crappy as Paypal. Some banks may be better than others, but from experience (Chase), I'd say that those who keep talking up its virtues are giving bad advise.

If you're not sure about a rig deal, find a suitable go between. (Though as a seller, I may not put much faith in the buyer's rigger across an ocean).

Read this post...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2800162;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Would that happen to ring a bell? If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2800162;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread (clicky)
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Thanks for the advice guys. I checked and it's not the same guy. Although I can't see his real name, his email addy and address are different. I'm probably gonna go to my DZ tmrw and talk to the DZ rigger and see if I can work something out.

Thanks all!

I can't see why he wouldn't be Just ask or you could make his dz or rigger his go between :)

I asked about that once before and was told no since the they did not want to be involved - which I think is fair enough...could cause problems for them if things go wrong :P

Hey all...

Thanks!

I'm a paranoid type.

I wont do business overseas, or even with someone in the US unless I know I can physically go to where they are if need be.
__

My mighty steed