chrismgtis

Went into a spin on exit

On one of my jumps this weekend I exited and went into a wild uncontrollable spin for about 8 seconds. I was arched the whole time and got stable what seemed like pretty randomly (if I remember right I got "stable" on my back and just rolled back over).

That has never once happened to me, ever. I have no idea why it happened. It scared the crap out of me because I was thinking theres no way opening like this is going to be good.

Any ideas why that happened? With about 48 jumps I've never once really been unstable (except for a little trouble with turns in AFF).
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

> On one of my jumps this weekend I exited and went into a wild
> uncontrollable spin for about 8 seconds.

Were you spinning on your back? Until you know what you're doing, what stops a turn on your belly will do the opposite (speed it up) on your back.

Not a coach/nothing/fun jumper

If you are spining on exit and arch you are just creating a center of gravity to spin around. Arching will simply keep you on your belly.

Correct the spin and fly your body.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

hey,

what was your body position for launch?
what type of aircraft?

I jump pilatus porter primarily- then when the otter arrives sometimes I get caught without presenting my body fast enough-
B|
have to laugh at myself tumbling away trying to get stable!!!
:D
Then to ride up in the C-206, or C-182, you can completely relax and launch anyway you please!!
:P

Any ideas why that happened? With about 48 jumps I've never once really been unstable (except for a little trouble with turns in AFF).

ask an instructor, talk with fellow jumpers at your dz, many have experienced the same thing -and can give you advice.

I took old school static line training where so much time was spent on the launch from aircraft and practise pulls- 5 second delays, 10 second delays, and 15 second delays.

Logging my jumps was easy: just put a "z" short for "unstable exit" (zbackloop, zfrontloop) in them all -until I could consistently launch stable.
:)
SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

A few years ago i was at Z Hills,launched a 4 way out of an otter.
One of the 4 way lost grips and went into a side spin the camera guy swooped to her as fast as he possibly could after about 30 seconds she stopped spinning and only then did he catch up with her.
If you curl up in a tight ball this should stop a flat spin or side spin,bit like being in the centre of a kiddies roundabout.
Then just big and arch.
Anyways thats my pennies worth.
Have fun stay safe
Steve
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Haha. Can't help but laugh at this weekend. I did terrible at everything. Bad pack job and got line twists, went into crazy spin on exit and busted my knee because I didn't PLF. It was just one of those days. B|

I was jumping the twin otter when I went into the spin. Which is what I've jumped on about 44 of my jumps.

Who knows, I doubt I'll ever be able to explain that one. I was like ok damnit, I'm arched, what gives?

My instructor, constantly drilled into my head. STOP! Arch, Relax. He would always tell me whatever you are doing is not working so "stop!" This not only works when you get yourself into trouble but helps with anything you do in freefall or even under canopy.

Hey Chris:
I am new at skydiving as well (37 jumps), and at around 14-17 jumps, I had a terrible spinning problem. I would exit and be stable, but after my PHT, began spinning quite a bit. I would try to counter the spin with my upper body or legs, but could never really understand what was causing it. After speaking w/my coaches, I learned that arching (like someone else said earlier) is not going to stop a spin. Arching will only keep you stable on a vertical axis (not horizontally). I decided to get a video on my 18th jump and saw that I was keeping one leg lower than the other and the bad body form was causing the spin. I did have to deploy once while in a spin (priority is: pull, pull @ correct altitude, pull when stable)....and just had maybe one line twist. If it happens to you again, I would suggest a video. Otherwise, the advice given to me was to track out of the spin...and that does work! Good luck & blue skies!
Christie

...One of the 4 way lost grips and went into a side spin the camera guy swooped to her as fast as he possibly could after about 30 seconds she stopped spinning and only then did he catch up with her.

I hate to sidetrack the thread, but I'm thinking that anyone who spins uncontrollably and has to be rescued by the video guy maybe doesn't really belong on a 4-way.

Kevin

...One of the 4 way lost grips and went into a side spin the camera guy swooped to her as fast as he possibly could after about 30 seconds she stopped spinning and only then did he catch up with her.

I hate to sidetrack the thread, but I'm thinking that anyone who spins uncontrollably and has to be rescued by the video guy maybe doesn't really belong on a 4-way.

Kevin

But what if she has big tatas? :S

steveOrino

Haha. Can't help but laugh at this weekend. I did terrible at everything. Bad pack job and got line twists, went into crazy spin on exit and busted my knee because I didn't PLF. It was just one of those days. B|

Yep, line twist are always caused by bad pack jobs, and never by bad body position upon deployment. :S

At least that is what I tell the packer. :|;)

steveOrino

Yep, line twist are always caused by bad pack jobs, and never by bad body position upon deployment. :S

At least that is what I tell the packer. :|;)

Well the bad pack job was my own, so it's not like I'm blaming a packer. :P