wes.

who would you let pack for you???

why is it that in the states packers are such a big thing? as far as i know, in switzerland everyone packs for themselves. or at least thats how things work at the dropzone i've visited. even with student or hired rigs, you're required to repack..

We're just waiting for the illegal Mexicans to discover packing. Maybe we can get them for $3.00 a pack.;)

We're just waiting for the illegal Mexicans to discover packing. Maybe we can get them for $3.00 a pack.

Please dude!!! I live in Venezuela and the only North American references I still have are dz.com and CNN. I hear enough about illegal Mexican immigrants on the latter.
I got nuthin

While some "young" children may be able to pack correctly and safely, do they have the emotional maturity to handle a fatality? How do you explain to a 12 or 13 year old that they aren't responsible if a jumper (they packed for) malfunctions, and, for whatever reason, doesn't initiate correct procedures to save their own life? I've seen adults have a awful time handling skydiving fatalities, is it reasonable to put a child in the mix?
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

From my persepctive, you answered the question. Tell them the skydiver didn't initiate the proper procedures to save their own life. If we extend your point out one level from, "I've seen adults have an awful time handling skydiving fatalities;" wouldn't that beg the question if children should be on the DZ at all?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

One of the packers at Waller is 17. To my recollection I have never had any issues on openings when he packed a rig I was jumping. Age of the packers doesn't matter as much as experience and competence do.

I've let a couple of people pack for me - a guy that has the same canopy, a couple of people I told about the way it was opening and other characteristics (asked them to help me pack it so it would open slower), and instructors.
That's about it though. They have to know my canopy's characteristics and I have to know them or no.

I have always jumped very aggressive canopies. I have 4800 jumps. I have packed at least 4700. If I have any chioce, I pack for myself and anyone else who wants a good opening.

I am a freak, I enjoy packing parachutes.

I have packed about 15000. No packing related mals yet.

Thats a lie sorry. I did pack a tandem last year that ended up with tension knots. I think that was my fault.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I am a freak, I enjoy packing parachutes.

Seek help! :o

Just kidding...I don't 'enjoy' packing, but it's not something I avoid either.
I've only paid for one pack job in my jumping career, made me feel like a tourist, so I just look at it as park of the overall experience.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We're just waiting for the illegal Mexicans to discover packing. Maybe we can get them for $3.00 a pack.;)

More "jobs that Americans won't do..." :P

If I had the money to pay for it, pretty much anyone. Most people I have met are reasonably conscientious when packing, and I fucking hate packing.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Spoken like a true fossil! Back in the day it was really hard to get anyone to pack your main, even if you did offer money. And the attitude was to take care of your gear, 'cause it was gonna save your ass. This included packing and inspecting it all the time.

Me, I pack my own, but if I'm pressed for time because of videos or team jumps, I'll reluctantly let someone else pack. Preferably one of my two kids. Both grew up on the DZ, and the older one put himself through college packing, and retired at 23. Now he's got almost 1,000 jumps and packs for himself. The younger is currently doing the same. Both have excellent track records.

The older got his rigger's ticket a while back, and for practice, I let him pack my reserve for a cycle, since he needed to work on a Racer, and then one time I needed a quick pack job on my main. I tell ya, it's a very weird feeling after many, many years of packing both of your own to suddenly realize as you reach for the hackey at pull time that you didn't pack either one of the canopies on your back.:o

Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

"I tell ya, it's a very weird feeling after many, many years of packing both of your own to suddenly realize as you reach for the hackey at pull time that you didn't pack either one of the canopies on your back."

Yep ... what he said!
Zing Lurks

"I tell ya, it's a very weird feeling after many, many years of packing both of your own to suddenly realize as you reach for the hackey at pull time that you didn't pack either one of the canopies on your back."

Yep ... what he said!

I don't know...I get that weird feeling knowing I packed both...and the fist one ain't workin'! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeah,

You always looked sooooo upset that you couldnt pack and it must have really gotten to you since I always saw you trying to learn on those shitty days at bucky :P:P:P

Have you finally learned now? :)

SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

When My Daughter was 12 she wanted to learn to pack. I took her to the DZ and she spent the day working with one of the more experienced packers (I think she was 18 or 19 and had been packing for several years.)
My daughter spent the entire day with her watching, Learning and helping. Towards the end of the day, the packer brought over one of the rental Rigs and watched over very closely as my daghter packed it by herself.
While this I was going on, I was hanging back chatting with one of the resent AFF grads (No more than 10 to 15 Jumps) that thought it was so "Cute" that my 12 year old daughter was learning to pack. Shortly after the rig was all packed up, The guy I had been talking to got his call for the load he was waiting on. The look on his face was priceless when he went to get a rig and was handed the one my daughter just packed. "You are kidding, right? the guy said.
NOPE, gear up and get on.:D:D

It opened perfectly of course.