missann1320

Stupid Human Trick- 'Mr. Bill'

Hey there! I haven't been able to find any postings on a Mr. Bill...

Last night we made a fair attempt at one at 8k out of 182. It failed and I have a swollen nose and bruised bod. So I'm curious on the proper way to launch one?

This was our attempt: My friend Jarhead climbs out facing forward on the step and I climb out and have my bum on the strut (facing him) getting my hands on his harness and I wrap my right leg around him...

He gives the count and he hesitates pulling because we began to roll a bit.. Then he finally does pull and the PC hesitates and about wraps around my foot so I let go and abort. He still had a last second grip on my harness and we SMACK real hard our noses together and then I drop off and find my swollen and bloody nose under canopy.

What is the proper way to launch this? Do I need to keep my head on his chest to avoid the head smash?

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions... Thanks!
Smile!
http://www.399FirstDates.com

I've done 2 successful Mr. Bills, both from a cessna, both with Ryan Turner :)
He was on the step, leaning forward, with his hands on the strut. I went out, held on to the mud flaps of his harness and put my right knee on his hip, my lower leg was alongside his leg. He did the count, I swung the other knee up to the other hip on exit and gripped tightly with my knees and death grip on the harness. He pulled right away.

If you have your knees at his hips and your lower leg either bent back toward you or parallel to his legs, it's tougher to get the pilot chute wrapped around it.

It's hard for Ryan to hang on since he has other things to worry about... like pulling right off the step ;) So plan on supporting all of your weight yourself. It's not that tough to do so. He had his hands free to pull, steer, etc.

Our first Mr. Bill was perfect, the second was head down on exit so quite a brisk open, I lost a grip with my left hand, but managed to pull it off anyway.

Find an instructor at the DZ that has Mr. Bill experience to walk you through it on the ground in person, that will help.

Good luck!

PS did you do a search for Mr. Bill? There are quite a number of threads on it.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

WHY would you want to try that AGAIN ... :S

Because it's fun, if you do it right. The best start to doing it right is to ask about it before you do it wrong and get all beat up. ;)

Kevin

Hey there! I haven't been able to find any postings on a Mr. Bill...

Last night we made a fair attempt at one at 8k out of 182. It failed and I have a swollen nose and bruised bod. So I'm curious on the proper way to launch one?

This was our attempt: My friend Jarhead climbs out facing forward on the step and I climb out and have my bum on the strut (facing him) getting my hands on his harness and I wrap my right leg around him...

He gives the count and he hesitates pulling because we began to roll a bit.. Then he finally does pull and the PC hesitates and about wraps around my foot so I let go and abort. He still had a last second grip on my harness and we SMACK real hard our noses together and then I drop off and find my swollen and bloody nose under canopy.

What is the proper way to launch this? Do I need to keep my head on his chest to avoid the head smash?

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions... Thanks!

One thought that people never really seem to think about when doing a Mr. Bill is to go up and do the exit a few times to make sure you have things figured out. Don't actually pull the parachute. Practice exiting stable then break off and deploy your own parachutes.

I have been on one and been around for some others. I prefer to be the video guy. That isn't to say I wouldn't do it again!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

url - NO, BAD DOG, NO BISCUIT - url
This is a successful Mr Bill that was also landed;)

Let's not encourage imitation of idiotic acts.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've done them twice without a hitch, no bruising or any unecessary roughness. Both of them were done under my old 120 Vengeance We did them from our Otter so of course the exit was different, but the key is to get open asap. I even PCA'd Ian off of me on the second one, THAT was cool as hell.:)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

There was some talk of landing a Mr Bill on bridge day apparently. Then the organisers declared that each participant must at least attempt to deploy a parachute. ;)

I definitely want to attempt a Mr Bill (both being Mr Bill and being the pilot), though I'd never (deliberately) try to land it. I'd try it near my repack date too, as a large number of Mr Bill videos on SDmovies seem to result in lineovers!

I think the secret is to get good harness grips, but don't try to get one person to exit for you. Exit together, holding on, then bring your legs up around the waist/legs of the person dumping....

I've done several, most of them successful, never really got hurt on one, altho' I have heard of people hurting their fingers.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Mr. Bill's are easier to launch with larger aircraft, that can make a world of difference. For instance, luanch one out of a skyvan and you could basically be safely docked to each other, even before stepping out the back.....that would cover otters too, where intercouse can be had with the first to pull facing into the door and the attachee having a secure dock before count off/launch.

They are just another fun thing to try in a very inforgiveable sport where safety is always the first and most primary concern. Mr. Bill jums are only as safe as the sum of it's parts; it all depends on the natural combination of the two jumpers involved, skill levels, training, groung prep, communication and mixed in with a heafty dash of the unknown; Murphy's law still applies to Mr. Bill, too!

peace and love in all their forms to you and yours,
Tiedye Keith

If you REALLY wanna do the Mr. Bill:

Tandem harness, underneath your rig. Put it on backwards. You'll be able to hang on. ;)

Then, just have the 'TM' flex his feet while you, Mr. Bill, stand on them to unclip the harness. Then, you are free to do what you want!

It's a bit of a giggle for everybody.

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Just did one yesterday..
2.0+ wingloading on safire 189.. awesome..

stalled my canopy just before mr.bill dropped..

and pc did wrapped on mr.bill's leg for 3sec before he somehow kicked out of it...

it is something you'll do once...and never do it again..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I had one result in a lineover and a cutaway, but I still got talked into doing it again recently. It worked, we had fun. I guess some people never learn.B|

I agree that bigger aircraft are easier than small Cessnas. I also agree it's best not to do it until your reserve is almost due if you're concerned with the cost of getting another repack right away. It's easier to hold on if Mr Bill uses a canopy that opens softly and is packed for a slow opening.

Try to exit stable and not roll, that'll help for a cleaner deployment and less chance of an entanglement. Hang on tight all the way through the opening. Try and let go if everything goes to shit. After Mr Bill pitches, he/she can hold on to Sluggo underneath their rig to help out.

Try not to die. Have fun.