DaleH

Tunnel Pre/AFF

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice here. It’s going on to 3 years now since my last jump (Tandem Cat. B). Things finally seem right to start jumping again, but I'm kind of overwhelmed with fear. I thought of maybe getting some tunnel time in before starting AFF. Does this seem like a good idea? My reasoning is, me going up with a mindset that I can some what fly stable on my belly than not knowing what to expect at all should boost my confidence. Thanks!
-Dale

I thin that's an excellent idea. I've seen firsthand how much better the tunnel can make you fly...but I think you hit the nail on the head - it's all about confidence.

First off, you may correct any stability issues you might have had if you hadn't flown the tunnel...secondly, if you're less worried about the stability issues in the first place, your jumps will go that much more smoothly. You'll be able to focus more clearly on the objectives, instead of worrying so much about them.

Of course, that's just my 2 cents...but I think most of the people on this board will agree that flying a tunnel can't hurt. If you've got the financial resources to get some time in, I say go for it.
Signatures are the new black.

Yes, do the tunnel time...

Unless it requires you to wait a while to travel to a tunnel...

In a state with a tunnel near the DZ, I almost think it is a moral obligation for the instructors to suggest tunnel time...

In a state where there are no tunnel options - the "old fashioned way" worked for many years, so don't delay your AFF...

I just got back from a trip to Eloy to get 30 minutes of tunnel coaching and all I can say is I'm glad I did it. I started AFF the weekend previous and after failing my level 3 twice I quickly began considering how some tunnel time might benefit me. Besides being unstable, I wasn't paying attention to the all important ground and altitude. I reasoned that if I was able to get the "crap I'm totally unstable what should i do" stuff out of my head, that would allow me to focus on the one thing that matters above all, and that is my altitude awareness.

Fact is, you're not born knowing how to fly your body, so I don't think anyone would complain about learning a la "simulation mode" before you are thrown into the big blue with several other things to be concerned with, primarily that big planet coming up to meet you.

I feel confident after spending the time in the tunnel that I will be able to go back to the DZ this weekend and pass my level 3, and hell, maybe even finish up AFF. After all, you should feel confident in the air. The benefits are immeasurable.

Go for it.

EDIT: (By the way, I drove 15 hours to AZ from OK, just to get the tunnel coaching. And I feel like it was worth every penny.)

TDog: It would require me to travel, and also cause me to wait as well. However, I've waited this long, whats another month or so :D.

If I were to start again without tunnel time, I would feel inclined to do a tandem or two just to work on the nerves. Although, I have yet to find someone to push me : /. I've tried to talk a few of my friends into jumping so I would feel compelled to go up, but they have all backed out at last minute.

A group from my local DZ seems to be planning a tunnel trip in July, so I am going to see if I can tag along. I've completed the Ground Course to start AFF 3-4 times now in hopes to start, but never did. Which is why I feel the need to do something to build confidence prior to the next attempt.

So what do you think, wait for July do the tunnel time and start AFF, or try and suck it up and start now?

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it :)

-Dale

Before doing Tunnel time i was failing several levels in AFF..after tunnel i repeated the whole AFF course and i was immediately stable, both JMs let go and i rattled thru the AFF in 5 jumps...

on the fear issue..i don't know that it made the first jump after the break i took much easier but thereafter it made a huge difference to know that at least one issue didn't have to be worried about...

bottom line..it's worth it
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

So what do you think, wait for July do the tunnel time and start AFF, or try and suck it up and start now? :)

Start now...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

The tunnel time would be good for the freefall, but on the first aff all you do is fly flat. You might want to hold off till you have skills to practice. If you want to get into the rite mindset for jumping a tandem would get most of the anxiety out of you, and you could practice pulling and flying the canopy, which was the hardest part of AFF 1 for me.

I am no way in place to give any advice here. I have had major problems. You can look at my previous posts to get an idea. I will just give a brief idea on what I have been through and what I plan now. This might give you some ideas:

My first fun Tandem jump was in 2001.

I decided to get my "A" in 2005. I started doing the AFP program. They call it Tandem Progression. I did around 5 Tandems. After that I did a total of 12 solos. I can say I wanted this so bad so did not giive up even after the fact that my jumps sucked. I was not performing the way I was expected to and kept repeating levels. I was told to have fun. But honestly it was not fun. I just could not get over the fears and frustration of repeating. Result I decided to STOP atleast for sometime.

Now again in 2007. I have come up with a new plan. My conclusions about my failures was 1 major reasons:

TOO MUCH OF FEAR, NOT RELAXING.

To overcome to above. I came up with a new plan. I did 1 IAD jump. This costs a lot lesser and also you have not to much deal with too many things. You can just focus on 1 thing at a time. I plan to do 1 more of this jump. Then I will be doing some tunnel time and then do the regular AFF jumps.

For levelling my fears, I spent a lot of time with my instructor. She is just GREAT. Do not have any of your questions unaswered. ASK OUT every question that crosses your mind. When I discussed my most fears with my instructor, that made me more relaxed. The result was after 2 years and my first jump, I get a "Stand Up landing" for the first time. This was my 17th jump.

Any of the mentioned about was not a advice, but just my experience and what I have been through. The only 1 advice I can give is "Make sure you talk a lot with your instructor, talk abaout your fears and concerns"