ScottTX

My skydiving comeback

I have not posted in a long time, and for those that are familar with my jump history, you probably know why. For the benefit of those who do not, please allow me to give a brief description.

After my tandems jumps, I transitioned to the solo jump program. Well, after 5 solo jumps, I was still at level 1, major self doubt began to rear its ugly head, which was only multiplied many times after I incured a tailbone injury on a jump 8 months ago.

After that I said I would never jump again, not because I did not want to, but because I let the self doubt turn into an all consuming, paralyzing fear of jumping again, and that is where I stayed until very recently.

I honestly do not know what happened, but at some point the paralyzing fear turned into anger, anger directed at myself, then the anger turned into a determination that somehow, someway, I would get back in the air again, and "get over it".

I began working with an instructor in attempting to get over these issues. It was his patience in putting up with my serious self doubt and lack of confidence, not to mention my whining, that slowly I began to feel as if maybe I could really succeed and move forward.

Earlier today, with my instructor at my side, I exited from the dz's Twin Otter at 14,000 ft , and while it was not perfect, it was a good jump with a good landing, passed level 1, FINALLY!:), about an hour later we attempted a level 2 jump, and it was even better.

It feels so great, in a way that I cannot put into words, to finally get past level 1.0 and 2.0. The next jump IF I can do properly what I have to do, might even turn into my first release jump.

To all my skydiving friends and to the staff at the dz who have been so understanding and patient with me over the last several months, I say thank you:)
To my friend who I talked with at length earlier this evening, an extra special thank you.

To my instructor, to have the patience you have displayed towards me, and my major self doubt and fear, to have gotten me to the point where I am now at today, is a testimony to not only your excellence as an instructor, but to the good person you are, your excellence as an instructor would not be possible if it were not for the person you are, so I say thank you for helping me:)
As my instructor said in our debrief after the second jump today, "the old you no longer exists"B|

Good stuff mate, glad to hear you overcame your issues and are back in the sky. Good luck with the rest of the course - keep us informed!
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

Well done. I get more out of the experiences of people who have to overcome obstacles than those who are natural wonders from the start. Psychological/mental hurdles can be the most challenging... it sounds like you are on the way to putting those behind you.

Doug

As my instructor said in our debrief after the second jump today, "the old you no longer exists"

The old you IS gone and I am now seeing a good skydiver emerging. The transformation has been a slow but determined one. You are becoming a more self confident person and it shows.
As one of your friends who wants you to succeed in your endeavor, I am so very proud of you.
I give your amazing instructor the credit for this. This person was my instructor too. Some people are just natural born teachers. I think that you would have been lost to the sport had this instructor not taken on the challenge that you presented.
There are many obstacles ahead as I am sure you know....for you and your instructor, but I think you are over the hill now, and I am confident that your instructor will guide you well. You will make it to graduation and I hope to join you on your SCR jump.

Congratulations, and welcome to our wonderful blue sky playground...

90% mental 10% physical...a lot of jumpers will know where that comes from. It's very very true. A lot of credit goes to your instructor, but most of hte credit goes to you. People give up when there are huge hurddles in the way. You came back with determination (the mental) and your body (10%) let it happen. Great job!
Brad

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement:)
I have been told by more than one skydiver, that if you ever stop becoming scared or nervous completly, then its time to get out of the sport. I really believe that.

Have I stopped being scared?, no, will I ever stop being scared?, I hope not.

Instead of the fear controlling me, I am now beginning to control the fear, and that is a great feeling to have:)

Congratulations Scott! I was talking with your instructor and he had mentioned that you were going to try to make some jumps on Monday. Looks like that time that you spent at the DZ talking to others has paid off! Welcome back to the air! It's such a refreshing place to be after a long layoff.

By the way...thanks for babysitting on Saturday...I was really needing to get back in the air!
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Even during the "dark days"[:/], just hanging out was fun, and I am sure that it will be more fun now.

I was glad to babysit, and will be happy to help again if needed:)
Sure hope the weather is good for jumping the next several days.

Welcome back and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

I can totally relate to about all your experiences. I have been through the same. I am still going through the same/similar challenges. Let us both overcome these hurdles. I am sure both of us will be exellent sky divers pretty soon.