jhilden

Stunt Junkies swoop to cutaway question

I saw Stunt Junkies yesterday where a member of the PD Factory Team did a helicopter jump, swooped a bridge, then cutaway just over the bridge and deployed his base canopy. Pretty cool stunt.

When he exited the helicopter at 4000' rather than jumping and pulling right away someone else in the helicopter held his D-bag and when the jumper fell away his canopy opened and the person in the helicopter was left holding the D-bag. What was the point in that? The only thing I could come up with is that he didn't the D-bag or pilot chute to slow him down on his Velocity 79.

Any thoughts?

Instant canopy. I believe normally when you jump from a stationary object you should wait a few seconds to pick up enough speed to get a clean deployment. Remember that is does take a bit of force for your PC to pull your lines and canopy out of the bag. It was a cool stunt though.

I have not had a chance to watch that episode but I have it on Tivo. My first thought is he has a base rig on and either has another harness on underneth with just a the main rings with a cutaway set up for the first canopy so he does not have a way to contain the d-bag or he has both sets of risers hooked to his base rig with a cutway set up on the first canopy and still has no way of containing the d-bag on the first canopy.
Kirk

I have not had a chance to watch that episode but I have it on Tivo. My first thought is he has a base rig on and either has another harness on underneth with just a the main rings with a cutaway set up for the first canopy so he does not have a way to contain the d-bag or he has both sets of risers hooked to his base rig with a cutway set up on the first canopy and still has no way of containing the d-bag on the first canopy.
Kirk

Good one.

...or he has both sets of risers hooked to his base rig with a cutway set up on the first canopy and still has no way of containing the d-bag on the first canopy.

Bingo... It was a custom rig for that stunt (but it was essentailly a base rig, so there was still no "main" container.)

Bingo... It was a custom rig for that stunt (but it was essentailly a base rig, so there was still no "main" container.)

in one scene, i thought i saw a secondary harness only worn under the base rig, this would still confirm that JT had no container to stow the Velo in. Also, like someone else said, need instant canopy from the helo, remember JC still had to jump, deploy, follow and film it from the air.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

On that note I have never, ever, quite seen a canopy aerial videographer/photographer like JC.

The man is amazing.

And humble too, i had the priveledge of sitting next to him on almost every load at Nationals when he was filming Scott Smith doing skysurf. Hell of a nice guy.:)

>and the person in the helicopter was left holding the D-bag. What was the point in that?

This deployment method allows you one "extra" canopy. It can be used to give you a two-canopy BASE system or a three-canopy "standard" system. I've used that setup to jump old rounds that I didn't want to land. I'd put the round in a D-bag, attach the minirisers to the (large) rings of my old Racer and exit with someone hanging on to the D-bag. Once I cut away the round I'd be back to my "original" rig with its two canopies.

attach the minirisers to the (large) rings of my old Racer

Not to drift from the thread..but both the main and the 'round' rises were through the racers 'big' ring?

or was ther an additional attachment point?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Not to drift from the thread..but both the main and the 'round' rises
>were through the racers 'big' ring?

Yes. I don't know if it's 'recommended' or not but I've tested it on the ground, and done 5 actual cutaways and it's always seemed to work OK.

in one scene, i thought i saw a secondary harness only worn under the base rig, this would still confirm that JT had no container to stow the Velo in. Also, like someone else said, need instant canopy from the helo, remember JC still had to jump, deploy, follow and film it from the air.;)

Well, on some of the direct bag jumps he was also wearing his Odyssey, so I'm not sure what was going on there. He should be back from Spain this week, if I see him this weekend I'll ask him how it worked.

Well, on some of the direct bag jumps he was also wearing his Odyssey, so I'm not sure what was going on there. He should be back from Spain this week, if I see him this weekend I'll ask him how it worked.

very true, he started off by doing each of the jumps by themselves, i.e. the swoop, then separately the base jump. I would guess the Odyssey was used for just the swoop practice. Who knows how the editing went and what shots they used where:D

In Reply To
...or he has both sets of risers hooked to his base rig with a cutway set up on the first canopy and still has no way of containing the d-bag on the first canopy.

So... He jumped from a chopper without a TSO'd rig?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

So... He jumped from a chopper without a TSO'd rig?

_Am

Which they've done many times on this show. They've also, I believe, made BASE jumps in national parks. I'm sure they have special arrangements to perform these stunts.

That's really surprising.

First, it's not very difficult to add a second set of rings to an existing TSO'd harness, or wear a second altogether different harness for the intentional cutaway. Either option lets you still be legal by having a TSO'd harness. Both options have been done countless times.

Secondly, I presume this is all done legally, and the show producers received FAA waivers which allow them to jump from aircrafts without TSO'd rigs. To say that I'm surprised that the FAA did this would be an understatement, especially considering that there are perfectly reasonable options that don't require such a waiver.

I'm still pretty skeptical.

Does anyone know for sure that they jumped without TSO'd rigs?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

At least one has a German TSO. None are FAA TSO'd.

The only way to jump a (only) base rig in the US out of a plane (with a front mount reserve) legally is to do the foreign visitor thing when the FAA will accept other countries' TSOs.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Does anyone know for sure that they jumped without TSO'd rigs?

Haven't seen the show or the clip yet but I would imagine so. Technically legal or not, a skydiving rig would be the wrong tool.

The method of using a TSOed rig mentioned by tornolf for legalities sake would be cumbersome. It would require yet another TSOed harness to clip it to.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Perhaps since he was jumping a very small (I think they said 76 sq foot) canopy out of a chopper (which = subterminal deployment) - they static lined it so he would have a cleaner opening?

Just guessing. Let's get over the TSO issue - it's not the point of THIS thread.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)