WooHoo

Which would be the better option?

I heard of a couple who ue to some confusion jumped out whilst the plane was 2 minutes from exit. There was also high altitude cloud cover below them so they could not see the ground. The only problem was they were still a mile out to sea.

So there they were coming out of the clouds ( I don't know the altitude but for the sake of this hypothetical question, lets say it was 10,000', assuming there was no wind.)

What would be the better option, track like a banshee with the runs and pull at 3000 then get on the back risers. or pull right away, and get on the back risers.

Which would give be the best option

As for the hapless ccouple (they came through the clouds and tracked for the beasch. pulled at 3000, and still being well short of the shoreline, aimed for a boat, and landed close by, which picked them up. Most fortunate

Obviously there are lots of variables, and assumptions, but a snapshot response to this scenario is what I am looking for. Personally I think I would pull high as possible (assuming no wind), and hang on to the back risers, ( I would have to as I jump a 7-cell).

Your canopy has a much better glide ratio then even the best trackers. Also, rears isn't always the best choice. Each design of canopy reacts differently with toggles and rears in terms of best glide for long spots. The only way to know for sure is to go play with both inputs and see where the "accuracy spot" goes with the different inputs. I jump a "7-cell" and I get the best long spot performance by using my toggles.

You still have to take into account that if the load followed the green-light lemmings that if they dump right below the cloud layer, then the next group probably didn't get good seperation and might fall through the open canopies.

Of course, someone jumping out with cloud cover, next to an ocean and not checking their spot in the first place...I wouldn't expect them to make any other good decisions in terms of deployments and canopy flight.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your canopy has a much better glide ratio then even the best trackers. Also, rears isn't always the best choice. Each design of canopy reacts differently with toggles and rears in terms of best glide for long spots. The only way to know for sure is to go play with both inputs and see where the "accuracy spot" goes with the different inputs. I jump a "7-cell" and I get the best long spot performance by using my toggles.

You still have to take into account that if the load followed the green-light lemmings that if they dump right below the cloud layer, then the next group probably didn't get good seperation and might fall through the open canopies.

Of course, someone jumping out with cloud cover, next to an ocean and not checking their spot in the first place...I wouldn't expect them to make any other good decisions in terms of deployments and canopy flight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up:)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I would consider the wind speed and direction. If the wind is blowing out to sea and is faster than the canopy, then I'd want to open low so I wasn't pushed further out to sea. If the wind was blowing toward shore I'd want to open high and ride the tail wind home.

My real preference, of course, would be not to get out above the overcast.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy