FlyinDawg

What's Caravan require length takeoff?

I'm wonderin' what's Grand Caravan plane with turbine singe-engine require length to takeoff? I try to find information on this plane. Nothing find, I'm askin' because I need to prepare to open new dropzone in 5-10 or more than 10 years later. But, it's still not 100% sure. Since I have more than 90 acres of land.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Yup, the sites you suggested are a good place to start for an overview take off distance, but that's not the whole story. Marketing charts are generally prepared for an aircraft at best performance, and that's not very real-world.

Take off distance varies based on the type of surface (grass adds distance) temperature (higher temps add distance), field elevation (higher airports take more distance), wind direction (tailwind takes more distance), weight (more weight takes more distance), configuration such as flaps, mixture, power (each varies and should be reviewed in specific aircraft operating handbook). An older airplane with dirty or dinged-up wings will also take a bit more distance.

Take off distance is generally reported as both ground roll, and distance required to clear a 50 foot object, but in the real world of remote airstrips there are often obstacles taller than 50 feet, and that obviously requires more distance.

Every airplane must have an operating handbook for that specific aircraft. The handbook must include detailed weight and balance information calculated for that specific serial number, and a variety of mandated charts outlining the specifics of takeoff, landing, and climb performance.

For a complete answer to the question, a DZ owner who is interested in purchasing an airplane should contact the manufacturer or a reputable dealer for a detailed discussion of the operating limitations.

A skydiver who wants to know what the local aircraft is capable of should speak with a pilot or the DZO, and ask for a walk through of the charts in the operating handbook. That can be a pretty interesting learning experience.

The phone numbers for Cessna are:

In the USA 1-800-4Cessna
Outside the USA 316-517-6056.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Our DZ operates a grand caravan off of an 1800 foot runway. We're limited to 17 jumpers max, or less depending on the conditions and fuel load (plane has seatbelts for 21).

Actual length required will depend on a lot of factors, but the more runway, the better!

Dave

Since I have more than 90 acres of land.

I would like to see a map showing your property and then find it online with a satellite photo of the topography and see what the shape is. I know one acre is about the width of a football field by about 90 yards long. If you laid your 90 acres end on end the width of the football field, your property would be about 4.6 miles long! :o

If a large portion of it is free of obstacles, like trees, power lines, rocks, houses, etc and relatively flat, and no farmer McNasty next door :P you've got a good place to put a DZ. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As a jumper, I'm not entirely comfortable in a fully loaded Grand Caravan using a grass 2600 foot runway. In my not-a-pilot opinion, it uses far too much runway.

If you're looking to use a short runway, you might consider looking at a PAC. It seems to do much better.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Pilatus Porters need even less runway.
However there is a trade-off. Spare parts for Porters are expensive and they are not as productive.
In other words, Porters have "more engine than cabin."
Ergo, the only Canadian DZ that uses a Porter, only uses a Porter because they have a short runway.
Other Canadian DZs use Caravans, Pac 750s, Twin Otters and King Airs, with King Airs requiring the longest runways.

Insurance companies charge a lot for insuring Porters too. An expensive turbine aircraft that's susceptible to being ground-looped isn't a good combination for low rates.

If I were looking to open a DZ, I'd consider the minimum requirements of several different jump aircraft before settling on a runway length. Same goes for the runway surface - which models can operate most efficiently from grass, gravel, or paved surfaces?

Lance

Every airplane must have an operating handbook for that specific aircraft. The handbook must include detailed weight and balance information calculated for that specific serial number, and a variety of mandated charts outlining the specifics of takeoff, landing, and climb performance.

I could be wrong, but I've heard that what's required to be in the "book" has changed over the years - mostly that older aircraft were not required to have as much information in the book. I don't know if it was a big change or a more gradual thing, but I get the impression that sometime before the 1970s, much less information was required. This might only apply to "small" aircraft, like ones with <= 6 (or maybe <=4) seats.

I think Caravans have been in production long enough that they would have had a "full" POH, at least for the later serial numbers.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Since I have more than 90 acres of land.

I would like to see a map showing your property and then find it online with a satellite photo of the topography and see what the shape is. I know one acre is about the width of a football field by about 90 yards long. If you laid your 90 acres end on end the width of the football field, your property would be about 4.6 miles long! :o

If a large portion of it is free of obstacles, like trees, power lines, rocks, houses, etc and relatively flat, and no farmer McNasty next door :P you've got a good place to put a DZ. :)

Here I got it, photo by Effingham county. I saved a picture of deeded land. It's 90 acres of farm out of 277 acres. Mostly forests. Look at photo, yellow outline is shown as deeded land. The color of red is shown as futurn grass runaway or so. See it?
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

Hey Billy do yourself a favor keep the trees our enviroment can use them.

Like I said, I'm not gonna chop whole the trees. those circles of trees use for pervent heavy wind on corps. I'm gonna leave it half farm for farmer who rent for over 10 years.

Here's extra on map. White outline is LZ (Landing Zone) and purple outline is small area to chop trees. Just extra information.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

Ya thats all good but where is the bar going to be?:|

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Looks like a great spot. 5000ft or better for runway. Can use Savannah for radar...Close, but not too close.

Is that a power plant/refinery? just to the east of your proposed DZ?

Yes it's great spot. I checked and measures by county on the map. It's fully nearly 5,100 feet for hard/grass runway which Caravan require est 2,300 take off. That's plenty! I bet it's really easy to spot before exit. ;)

That's water treatments, not power plant.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

Also it's great to have a dropzone someday near Savannah (25 minutes) Since there's army airfield in Savannah, some of them are jumpers I met, who my brother-in-law (he's in army) introduced me to them. Also it's great for ton of people live there who want exprience such for AFF or tandem too.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog