FlyinDawg

What's Caravan require length takeoff?

Not many outs:(

why is that?

He means alternative landing areas if the spot is bad and jumpers can't make it back to the DZ.

He's right. I don't see any significant clearings but one just north. Still, that clearing you have on your property is a pretty damn big one. I would still clear off the islands of trees in the middle to cut out possible rotors of air when it's windy. You don't want jumpers getting slammed to the ground by a rotor, or God forbid, a student landing in the trees on one of those islands. :D

If jump run is parallel with the length of the field/runway and the spot is anywhere over the field, it's hard not to miss it because it's so big. Hell, that's bigger than Cross Keys! Bigger than The Farm's field too!

The trouble comes if it's strong upper winds perpendicular to the runway that would make spotting difficult.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I suspect that you will need to invest in a truck with a boom lift, to pick your students out the the surounding trees.

:D

That's what the fire department is trained for. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you call the fire department the news paper articles start flowing. I would argue that it is better to get them out yourself unless they managed to spear themselves. :ph34r::P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Not many outs:(

why is that?

He means alternative landing areas if the spot is bad and jumpers can't make it back to the DZ.

He's right. I don't see any significant clearings but one just north. Still, that clearing you have on your property is a pretty damn big one. I would still clear off the islands of trees in the middle to cut out possible rotors of air when it's windy. You don't want jumpers getting slammed to the ground by a rotor, or God forbid, a student landing in the trees on one of those islands. :D

If jump run is parallel with the length of the field/runway and the spot is anywhere over the field, it's hard not to miss it because it's so big. Hell, that's bigger than Cross Keys! Bigger than The Farm's field too!

The trouble comes if it's strong upper winds perpendicular to the runway that would make spotting difficult.

Yeah, that's wha I though about to remove circle trees to extra larger LZ. The small farmland in north, u mentioned, that's my sister's property. That's good for alt landing. But I have plenty largest field to landing anywhere.

Really, its bigger than Cross Keys? I never been there. Of course, I know about The Farm.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

Yeah, that's wha I though about to remove circle trees to extra larger LZ. The small farmland in north, u mentioned, that's my sister's property. That's good for alt landing. But I have plenty largest field to landing anywhere.

Really, its bigger than Cross Keys? I never been there. Of course, I know about The Farm.

Cross Keys is in New Jersey. It's one of the biggest and busiest DZs in the northeast. We were doing state record 100 ways up there during the late 90's.

I'd say you got plenty of room for a 100 way easy too. :)

Pilatus Porters need even less runway.

You should see them land, it makes so sense, the pilot touches down, two seconds later, the plane is standing still! A bit odd to exit for the static line, though, but it takes, what two minutes max to land from altitude?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Pilatus Porters need even less runway.

You should see them land, it makes so sense, the pilot touches down, two seconds later, the plane is standing still! A bit odd to exit for the static line, though, but it takes, what two minutes max to land from altitude?

We decide to not have static line training, only tandem and AFF for students.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

I'd start with FAA (but I've NEVER opened up an airport, so take this as it is)...

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airports/construction/open_close_airport/

Your local Flight Standards District Office (you can probably find their ph# within the FAA site) would be a good place to start also. Now, opening a dropzone?

Yeah, the main thing is obtaining what is called a NOTAM for the proposed drop zone. Then the FAA will have your location marked on the map as being a drop zone and warn air traffic accordingly. I'm sure there's more involved but I'm not a DZO.

Caravans are 37ft long. I'd require all 37ft to be there on takeoff. ;)

You don't want all your space taken up with a runway.
It becomes a traffic conflict. Plus, you'll want buildings and parking.

You might want to consider a plane a Porter. The Swiss created them for short takeoffs/landings on uphill/downhill sites. Good for poor access places.

Porter

The PC-6 is famous in the aviation world for its Short Take-off and Landing (STOL) performance on almost any type of terrain - it can take-off within a distance of 195 m and land within a distance of 130 m while carrying a payload of 1,500 kg (The length of a soccer field is enough, Pilatus test pilots were able to land on not much more than 50m of space ).

I'd start with FAA (but I've NEVER opened up an airport, so take this as it is)...

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airports/construction/open_close_airport/

Your local Flight Standards District Office (you can probably find their ph# within the FAA site) would be a good place to start also. Now, opening a dropzone?

No I'm not opening a dropzone right now or soon. Probably 10 tens or less. There's no rush. I had to make sure and write down as what need for before open dropzone in future. That's way to make plans. It's better than last minute plan.
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog