mijnjiku

My mind is redundantly warning me that skydiving is dangerous.

Spent the past week and a half having increasing sensations of "this isn't the smartest idea." which started after my first level 3 dive.

Besides the fact that I am talking to myself as if it is a seperate entity,

After 5 failed attempts at level 1, I had those same sensations, an injury on a jump only increased those sensations.

I was paralyzed by fear, fear kept me from jumping for months, but with the help of a great instructor I am finally begining to get past the sensation "that this is not the smartest idea"

As others have, I compare the enjoyment and fulfillment that I am now begining to have to the risk factor, and in the equation that I come up with, the enjoyment and fulfillment outweigh the risk.

Speaking of talking to yourself, you should have heard some of the conversations I had with myself during the self imposed layoff from jumping, it was scary, esp some of the answers I gave !;):S

As a newbie, I could only say to be persistent, keep working thru the doubt and at some point it will pass, it did for me and it will for you:)

> Spent the past week and a half having increasing sensations of "this isn't the smartest idea."

Well, in many ways, it's not! It will always be more dangerous than (say) jogging. It's what you get out of it vs. the risk you're comfortable taking. If that equation works out in your favor, then great. But it will never be 'safe.'

Curiously enough, I picked up jogging/running recently, and I have gotten hurt a lot more while running than while skydiving. I am not saying that skydiving is safer, but so far, it has been less painful... Doing my 4-5 mile runs I have managed to hurt almost everything from the waste down (note: I am pushing to improve my times, which of course is not helping matters).

And when I go running at night (like last night), I certainly wonder about the sanity of doing that.

In general, once we are past around 3K, my biggest concern when the door is open might sound silly... having my glasses blow out the door. Obviously, keeping my goggles on would solve that problem.

When it's time to go to the door, it is a sense of relief. The climb to altitude on a slow plane during my first jump of the day is a bit stressful.

Funny but while I still get the "this is a bad idea..." at about 10,000 ft. I find that my nervousness went from scared shitless to leave the plane to now nervous I'll screw up on a 4-way! since I am new and just learning everything and starting to jump in 4-ways I have 2 things now that make me nervous or have anxiety over:S. But I'm glad that I am progressing in the sport because the more involved I get in 4-ways the "scared" is replaced with "knowlege" and that will help me on both ends (getting out of the plane without wanting to barf and doing better in competitions.:)

Skydiving IS dangerous. Your mind and body will always send you warning signals (unless your dead)!!

ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO THE SIGNALS, MANAGE THE FEAR AND WORK THROUGH THE PROBLEM. That is what I've learned from my own experience, from talking and jumping with experienced skydivers, from my instructors (who continue to teach me), and from books I've read on fear.

Eventually you'll reach the point where all that stuff won't be in the front of your mind, it will be in the back of your mind. And you will be having a blast belly flying, piloting your canopy and landing standing up consistently!

Just my 2 cents.
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

I never "once" got the "this is a bad idea feeling" while in freefall. Sometimes while the plane is taxiing I think "this is the one" ... and it's mostly thinking about an aircraft emergency... I don't know why, it doesn't happen often, but thats the only thing I experience from time to time that has to do with "fear."

I cannot speak for everyone, but I too somtimes think "why the hell do I enjoy this!" even upon takeoff.

What matters is how you feel once you're out of the door.
Can you relax and enjoy the freefall?
I reckon that if I couldn't, I'd have quit by now.

You ask why you enjoy skydiving??...it's because of the serotonin release. It's crazy and therapeutic all at the same time:S:D

I always feel like ... I have forgotten something!

Me too.

It's not a bad thing, a vidiot once jumped without a rig :o:S

Seriously?

Yeah...but he only did it once.

What in the fuck?! I tried doing a search but came up empty handed with way irrelevant posts. Is there a thread or incident report about this? When did, and how could that happen?

I always feel like ... I have forgotten something!

Me too.

It's not a bad thing, a vidiot once jumped without a rig :o:S

Seriously?

Yeah...but he only did it once.

What in the fuck?! I tried doing a search but came up empty handed with way irrelevant posts. Is there a thread or incident report about this? When did, and how could that happen?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1221691#1221691

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I’ve had waves of nervousness over the last few years. Try to carefully analyze what part of skydiving makes you nervous. It might be a fear of death and injury as it relates to leaving loved ones, the take-off, plane ride, exit, performance anxiety on a jump where others depend on you to be in your slot, deployment, malfunction, and/or the landing. If you can identify a single part of skydiving that makes you nervous, get some training in that area and practice it well. For me, it is generally performance anxiety. I get nervous when doing new things and worry that I won’t be where I am supposed to be. It’s not so much a safety concern, but more like the fear of showing a video of sky with no one there. If the shear rush of adrenaline and excitement is making you nervous, try enjoying it instead. It is one of the parts of skydiving that many of us love so much.

Ever since you where born, people have been telling you "be careful or you'll fall" so now your doing exactly what you've been told not to do, and you wonder why you feel this way?

So don't worry, practice your emergency procedures in your head, then when or if the time comes and you have a problem every thing will come naturally.

Blue Skies
D-2626, SCR1999, SCS641, NSCR2350, GW6909

Blue Skies!!!!!!