mijnjiku

My mind is redundantly warning me that skydiving is dangerous.

Spent the past week and a half having increasing sensations of "this isn't the smartest idea." which started after my first level 3 dive.

Of course I understand the biological reasonings and have a solid foundation of respect for what it is I've started doing. So I am able to promptly follow it up with "Yes, mind, I am aware of the fact that it is dangerous. Thanks again for reminding me, but I will not stop." Besides the fact that I am talking to myself as if it is a seperate entity, I am aware that this is normal and healthy behavior. I understand it's use and the smart part of me doesn't want it to go away, but it definitely is a killjoy during this short period of downtime.

I hate being self-aware because it makes things like this thread all that much more pointless.

A lot of things are fun that aren't particularly a good idea. Skydiving is one of the better ones. If you really like it, keep going. Your brain should relax after another dozen jumps. If it doesn't, oh well, not everyone should skydive.

Exactly. I know it will relax a bit, it's just adjusting to the new situational environment.

But I don't want it to go away THAT much. It's a good check for complacency.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I too somtimes think "why the hell do I enjoy this!" even upon takeoff.

What matters is how you feel once you're out of the door.
Can you relax and enjoy the freefall?
I reckon that if I couldn't, I'd have quit by now.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

i remember that..jumps 2-5 were definitely the worst from a fear perspective...but it does pass and I reckoned a small rite of passage was falling asleep on the way up to altitude somewhere around jump #50..
Only suggestion I would make is that, while you train for problems, on the ride up visualize the positive outcome. Keep that in forefront of your mind to keep the demons in the background...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I cannot speak for everyone, but I too somtimes think "why the hell do I enjoy this!" even upon takeoff.

What matters is how you feel once you're out of the door.
Can you relax and enjoy the freefall?
I reckon that if I couldn't, I'd have quit by now.

Yep ... every single time the door opens I get the chills.

I describe it a four seconds of pure terror followed by total release of all fear, stress or anxioty, You're totally free and in control. It's YOUR body, you own it, make it do what you want to do.

I describe it to the Whuffo's this way ... do you have any idea how unnatural it feels to step out of an airplane at 13,500 feet in the air and look at the back of the propeller as you move through the air? By this point there ready to puke :P

For me .... it's total control of my fears and inhibitions, I'm finially in control and looking back up at the plane I realize that I'm free.

The fear of bouncing does not come back ... until the next trip up to altitude and the door opens again ...

With that said .... I am on a "medical hold" after having 5 screws installed to hold my Tibia together so it forms the bottom of my knee but what I miss the most is that feeling of freedom ... as you let go of the plane and gently float away :)
What warns me most that skydiving is dangerious is the significant number of FATAL's recently ...
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

I think that these thoughts probably occur to everyone in this sport from time to time. Even more experienced folks.

They usually show up in my thoughts when I go through periods of less jumping.

The more I jump, the less I have these thoughts.

My best answer is jump more B|

__

My mighty steed

Years ago we called that "The Sixth Jump Jitters", (seriously), so you are getting them right on time. The initial euphoria of starting jumping is passing, and reality is setting in.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Years ago we called that "The Sixth Jump Jitters", (seriously), so you are getting them right on time. The initial euphoria of starting jumping is passing, and reality is setting in.

Nice. That's the exact jump I finally thought "what the hell am I doing" on the ride up.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

"Yes, mind, I am aware of the fact that it is dangerous. Thanks again for reminding me, but I will not stop." ...

A Mind is a Terrible Thing...

A lot of people (maybe most) skydive because of the adrenaline rush. It's exciting. If it were completely safe, your mind would know that, and not be scared shitless, no matter how wild a ride it was. The fact that your mind knows (at least it should) that you can be hurt or killed in some horrible, extremely violent way, makes it imperative that you do it right - and therefore it is thrilling.

Sometimes, when jumpers have been at it a while and are very competent and comfortable with one type of jumping, they will move to another, that they don't feel so comfortable with. This added fctor of newness and increased difficulty brings back the thrill that may have diminished for them.

I am fairly familiar with CRW (Canopy Formation). I have seen folks with years in the sport and several thousand jumps come down from a CRW jump saying, "I haven't been that scared since my first jump - When can we go up again ?" :S

The trick is to manage this thrill/fright feeling and use it to both keep you on your toes (don't forget that horrible, violent death thing) and to feed your adreneline need (Woo Hoo).

Kevin K.

I still get nervous every time I am in the plane. (I dont like the plane ride at all, I feel claustrophobic.) but as we all feel, once the door opens it all dissolves away. I have been dealing with my fear since day one, and I have learned so much about myself through trying to understand my fear. If we let it get too much in the way of our skydive, then we run the risk of allowing it to interfere with our learning. I agree with the person who said to just jump more. Gain confidence and respect fear.

> Spent the past week and a half having increasing sensations of "this isn't the smartest idea."

Well, in many ways, it's not! It will always be more dangerous than (say) jogging. It's what you get out of it vs. the risk you're comfortable taking. If that equation works out in your favor, then great. But it will never be 'safe.'

Spent the past week and a half having increasing sensations of "this isn't the smartest idea." which started after my first level 3 dive.

Of course I understand the biological reasonings and have a solid foundation of respect for what it is I've started doing. So I am able to promptly follow it up with "Yes, mind, I am aware of the fact that it is dangerous. Thanks again for reminding me, but I will not stop." Besides the fact that I am talking to myself as if it is a seperate entity, I am aware that this is normal and healthy behavior. I understand it's use and the smart part of me doesn't want it to go away, but it definitely is a killjoy during this short period of downtime.

I hate being self-aware because it makes things like this thread all that much more pointless.

Channel your awareness to make you a safer, more aware skydiver. Better to be extremely aware than someone new with rose tinted glasses who doesn't see anything dangerous with jumping out of a plane.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I am glad I am not the only one who felt like this!! The plane ride up on AFF level five was by far the worst. I remember thinking so myself, "Do I really want to do this??" I knew I wouldn't back out, but if I had felt like that on the ground I am not sure I would've gotten on the plane. Then I look over at my buddy, who was also doing AFF 5, and he looked like he was going to throw up or cry. That was comforting. I still catch myself holding onto the plane sometimes when the door is open....fear of falling out I suppose.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

I remember watching jumpers yawn and fall asleep on the way to altitude and think to myself, how can they do that? Now I yawn and fall asleep on the way to altitude. But only after checking my gear 5 or 6 times.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I certainly felt like that around jump five. It was either the first one without 2 instructors, or it was the one with the first dive exit.

I remember my inner voice saying "I know this is fun, but it's dangerous and you don't have to do it. I'm just saying, that's all. OK the door's open: just stay away from it... wheeee!"

The thing of it is that your body is smarter than your brain. Its your body saying "this isn't smart". Your brain is the one saying "yea, but its fun". The more you jump the more quiet your body will become. When you don't hear it anymore, thats when you should worry.

I get that too!! Watching someone spot makes me have to hold onto something! Also, I always feel like my hands are strangely empty and that I have forgotten something! On my first couple of jumps after a 3 year break I found myself on occasion during freefall touching my rig straps to make sure it was there! haha! On opening however, I know its there - cutting into me!! So now its the opening part that scares me because my rig is crap! :P
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

I remember watching jumpers yawn and fall asleep on the way to altitude and think to myself, how can they do that? Now I yawn and fall asleep on the way to altitude. But only after checking my gear 5 or 6 times.

I think one of the funniest things I have seen so far is a jumper pull out a sandwich and start munching away like he is at a picnic. I yawn on the plane all the time though. It's just a matter of learning to relax. The only thing that really gets to me anymore is standing in front of that door.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan