superstu

have you been hurt jumping?

Only zp canopies can spank? Sure is news to me!! I am sure all the old timers can tell your stories about early squares whacking the shit out of them. :D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Should've broken both of my legs last August. No I didn't do a hook turn. ;) It was one of my first times off radio. I turned into final WAY too early. Missed the entire landing area and landed in a corner between a fence and the tree line. Landed on my shins on a giant cement pipe. I was able to walk away so I knew my legs weren't completely broken. Went to the ER just in case. I didn't want there to be a hairline fracture that would completely snap on the next hard landing. Somehow I managed not to do any serious harm other then not having any feeling in my left shin for 9 months. Hurt like a bitch though for about 2 weeks though.

caught the windflag with my endcell while swooping and dislocated my shoulder. out for 3 months and dislocated it 6 more times since(once in freefall, 5 times while flaring)

surfing out the end of a swoop and caught my foot in a divot. shattered my cuboid. out for 3 months, 2 months on crutches, 3 weeks with a boot, and just now getting back into sneakers.

It wasn't even a zero-p canopy, figure that one out.

Oh yea it has been known for as long as man kind has been throwing humans from aircraft that exposing silk, twill, or nylon at high speeds into wind can result in what is commonly called "a whacker". It has also been commonly known thru out the history of parachuting that the opening shock felt has nothing to do with the fabric the canopy is made out of to some degree, while many new and better fabrics have come along, it is system design that has reduced the over all forces involved more so then the fabric it is made out of and a canopy made out any fabric can and will spank you regardless of how neat you pack it.;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well, as of this weekend ya. I landed on my knee. Ouch. No problem. Went up again and landed on the same knee again. Damnit. Swole up pretty nice. I'm sure I'll be out jumping again next weekend. I hope. Yes, I'm too stubborn.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Only zp canopies can spank? Sure is news to me!! I am sure all the old timers can tell your stories about early squares whacking the shit out of them. :D

Yes. I naively beleived that because I wasn't jumping zero-p that there should generally be no major pain (if you look at my # of jumps you will see that I am at the bottom of the experience totem pole and still have much to learn). I am telling you though, this felt like I had bungee jumped with a steel chain. I didn't even want to do any turns because I was in so much pain I did not want any additional pressure against my body. Hammered into the ground on landing because I was so afraid of flairing (thus causing more pain) that I did the weakest flair in history.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Oh yea it has been known for as long as man kind has been throwing humans from aircraft that exposing silk, twill, or nylon at high speeds into wind can result in what is commonly called "a whacker". It has also been commonly known thru out the history of parachuting that the opening shock felt has nothing to do with the fabric the canopy is made out of to some degree, while many new and better fabrics have come along, it is system design that has reduced the over all forces involved more so then the fabric it is made out of and a canopy made out any fabric can and will spank you regardless of how neat you pack it.;)

Well thanks for telling me this now.:P

I was actually not able to jump for a couple of days and I was worried I might have actually damaged myself (pelvic region in general was fucked up)
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

not badly, dislocated little finger from not landing a downwinder properly, and a displaced rib from a super hard opening.

Took a few days off after the dislocated finger.

Didn't realise that I had displaced a rib so kept jumping and had a massage every so often to keep me jumping. Then went to see an osteo and found out the damage, had it "replaced", and it ached for weeks. Still, no more stabbing pains :)
Next time something hurts will have it checked out straight away and not assume it will mend itself [:/].

Other than that only a few scrapes, got off pretty lightly so far, touch wood...

Lx

There were broken and sprained ankles then, but "femur" wasn't a verb yet. Most injuries I remember happened to newer jumpers who biffed a landing.

The closest I came to hurting myself was to sprain a shoulder landing in too high a wind. I had to hold one hand up to brush my hair the next morning, and to grab the toggle after opening :D. But by the third jump it was OK.

Wendy W.

Windy,
You must have been in really good condition, and had a level head, back in the day. I remember the early 70's as being particularly hard on women jumpers...In fact our club had very few gals that jumped.

I can recall only about five women who jumped regularly. Two of them were very seriously injured on landing. Both quit jumping because of those injuries.

As you mentioned landings were particularly hard on new jumpers. Maybe it was because there wasn't enough PLF practice. Wind jumps were the worst. I still have nightmares from some of them.....Steve1

landings were particularly hard on new jumpers. Maybe it was because there wasn't enough PLF practice.

That or not enough 'look at the horizon' training, so many students would stiffen up a heartbeat before their feet hit the ground 'anticipating' the landing, but as we always taught...THIS time you're not accelerating but instead descending at a steady rate.

Remember having an inflatable splint and bourbon in my gear bag for 'em ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Broke my right ankle (actually a shattered fibia and broken tibia) when I landed and stuck my right foot in a prairie dog hole. I was off skydiving for 15 months while my leg bones, pride and wallet healed (off work 4 months, spent all my savings paying bills) but have made 75 jumps since I've been back without incident. I am working hard at making better landings.....

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Failed to PLF, broke my ankle on my first jump. (Static line T-10.) A few hard landing since then, but nothing requiring medical treatment.

The doctor who treated me was the same guy who, years earlier, had repaired my other broken ankle following an outfield collision during a high school softball game. When he started telling me I shouldn't be jumping out of airplanes I asked "Why didn't you tell me to give up baseball?"

Cheers,
Jon S.