gixxer5223

canopy size?? need help

hey whats up guys, i just got finished with my AFF at sebastian in Florida and im ready to buy a rig. the question i have is what canopy size should i be looking for? Im 5"8' and 160 lbs. i was thinking a 150 but i found a really nice deal on a vector 3 that has a 135 canopy do u think this is to small to start with or no? thanks for your help

If you are 160 then your exit weight is pushing 185. The recommendation from almost every canopy manufactor, canopy coach and the USPA is to have your first canopy at no more then a 1:1 wingloading. Wing loading is your exit weight divided by your sq ft. That meens you should be looking at about a 190 sq ft canopy. Only if muiltiple instructors and your S&TA think its a good idea would I recommend looking at a 170 canopy.

"Really good deals" rarely are that. There is always a better deal out there if you know where to look.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Both are too small mate, 150 would be too radical and a 135 would be suicidal, have a look at these articles, they should help you out a bit:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=46
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=43
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=45

Also, I don;t know if Sebastian will be your home dropzone, but hook up with whoever will be one of your local instructors and have a chat before you buy any gear :)

You have a lot to learn and in the process, you will be making mistakes. A larger canopy will help you survive intact until you are ready for a smaller canopy. I would suggest a 210 main and downsize after 100 or so jumps. If you are a natural, you might be fine with a 190.

Ed

Is there any chance that the folks at Sebastian told you the same thing when asked about these canopy sizes (Too small), and now you are looking for an internet answer that is more in line with your wishes ?

Find a big, docile, used canopy to learn on until you have the skills to jump the things you see your friends on. It's a plan that has worked for a lot of people so far.

Kevin K.

Im 5"8' and 160 lbs. i was thinking a 150 but i found a really nice deal on a vector 3 that has a 135

HELLLLLLLLLLL no.

That answer your question?

Here is a question for you, do you like your femurs intact? Yes? Then don't even think about flying a 135.

I weigh 168 lbs. I fly a Triathlon 175. That is as low as I want to go. It's more than fast enough for me to bust my ass on a few times already. I suggest you get under a 190-230 and if you are very comfortable under that then maybe a 175 as it's worked ok for me (except when I fail at PLFs) BUT we are all different and I had about 4 times as many jumps as you do now before I switched.

I've got 49 jumps at this time. I jumped the 190 for about 10-12 jumps then went onto my 175 cause I was comfortable. I rolled on the first two 175 landings and the next 7 I stood up for some of the best landings I've ever had. Then I think it was the next 2 landings that I did shitty PLFs on and my knee still hurts a week and a half later.

Be careful and please do not fly anything lower than a 190 for a while. You're just starting out.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I weigh 168 lbs. I fly a Triathlon 175.

Interesting. I'm putting together "my first rig" as well, and have picked out a Triathalon 190. (I'm 135 lbs without gear.) However, this is partially influenced by what is easily available to me.. if it were a 170 sitting on the shelf at my DZ, I'd probably go with that instead. :)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I weigh 168 lbs. I fly a Triathlon 175.

Interesting. I'm putting together "my first rig" as well, and have picked out a Triathalon 190. (I'm 135 lbs without gear.) However, this is partially influenced by what is easily available to me.. if it were a 170 sitting on the shelf at my DZ, I'd probably go with that instead. :)

Without meaning to hijack...:)
Try a number of canopies before buying, vs going with what's available. I finally ended up going to Perris and trying several before settling on probably the least popular canopy in the world, the PD Silhouette. At our local DZ, I didn't have many choices, so found it best to try several demos. PD sent out a couple demos (basically just the cost of shipping) and I was pretty confused until I got to jump a number of them sequentially. Now I've got a couple Silhouettes as a result.
In other words, reach out a little, you'll probably have a better chance of finding exactly what you want.