CazmoDee

When do I buy a case of beer?

I buy beer when I do something that I think is a milestone and I would like to share my excitement about it with people.

The first time I packed a tandem I was nervous right down until the time they landed. I thought that it warranted beer.

I won't be buying beer the next time I pack a new to me used canopy simply because it is a "first".

Bring the beer out after the beer light is on. And make sure you give it out and tell people what it is for. It isn't just free beer, they have a duty to talk to you about your first if they take it!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

> when's the best time to bring it out? at night after everyone is done jumping?

Yes. And make sure you hand it to people and tell them what it's for! The case of beer is a two way street. Lazy don't-want-to-drive-to-the-store skydivers get beer for free, the new jumper gets free advice when he needs it most (i.e. when he's tried something for the first time.)

OK I found the list. Next question - I bought the first case at the DZ bar ($50) Is it acceptable to bring in beer from outside - I could afford ALOT more - or should I follow Z-Hills rules and only drink alcohol purchased there?
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Any beer... from any source... There is NO obligation to purchase beer from the DZ concession. Note however, if you bring Black Label, Shlitz light, or someother excuse for a beer... not only will you receive a good verbal thrashing, but you will owe 1 case for the case you originally owed and yet another as penalty.

You always have a right to dispute the ruling with the local S&TA or DZO, in which (s)he will promptly rule against you... incurring yet another penalty case. ;)

I bought a case when I graduated AFF. Just wondering when I should do it again. Is their a "list" of milestones ?

This is your first post about when you should buy beer. Pay up. Wheres the beer!
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Although I cannot claim responsibility for this, I think it is a rather good summary of what I have learned so far about beer and skydiving. Feel free to add....

BEER RULES

1. An unwritten law, one as immutable and irrefutable as gravity and backed by history, states that skydivers enjoy the drinking of beer almost as much as flight itself.

2. A manifestation of this fact is the tradition of the buying by an individual skydiver a case of beer (that being twenty-four cans or bottles holding twelve or more ounces of beer, ale, or some similar such substance) for his or her fellow jumpers to celebrate the accomplishment of a particular feat or milestone in one's jump career.

3. It is generally recognized that the buying and drinking of such beer enhances that common bond shared by skydivers and contributes greatly to the body of knowledge concerning parachuting and its related activities.

4. It is a sad fact that some skydivers are ignorant of what constitutes a significant achievement (usually and henceforth referred to as a "first").

5. Equally sad is the fact that some unscrupulously thirsty jumpers will shamelessly try to "weasel" a case of beer out of a jumper for an inauspicious event.

6. Recognizing this, the following happenings are to be regarded as suitable occasions for buying beer. This list is not to be construed as exhaustive.

7. First jump (It is not required of students. They are simply encouraged to participate).

8. If more than one first is accomplished on a single jump, only one case of beer is required.

9. Participation is voluntary. If a skydiver chooses not to participate by buying, neither shall the skydiver enjoy the fruits of the accomplishments of others.

10. Non-drinkers may buy sodas and buyers may make up any part or whole of their purchase in soda for the enjoyment of those non-drinkers.

11. It is generally recognized that using a reserve parachute for the purpose of saving one's worthless, non-packing self from a gory death requires him to buy the saving rigger dinner or the bottle of liquor of his choice.

12. These articles are ironclad and binding. For the price of an additional six-pack, a sniveling skydiver may enlist the services of an S & TA to represent him or her in a hearing where the committee will rule against that skydiver a second time.

• Completing the student course of instruction

• First four way

• First eight way

• First CRW

• First time in the peas

• First night jump

• First kiss pass

• First competition

• First water jump

• First naked jump

• First jump on your own pack job
    • First dead center (measured by a judge or electronic scoring pad on a three or five cm disc)

• First jump on a new main or new rig (purchased, not borrowed)

• Any license, award, rating, or badge

• Getting your name or photo in "Parachutist" Magazine

• Gross safety violations not resulting in serious injury or death

• Any jump ending in "00"

• First cutaway/reserve ride

• First jump from an aircraft not normally used at home drop zone

• First jump at a new drop zone

• First demo jump

• First save (you riggers thought you were getting off easy)

• Vomiting in the airplane or on another skydiver

• First round canopy jump (Geez, used to be the other way around)

• First broken bone

• First camera jump

"Moderation in everything - even in moderation!"

I bought a case when I graduated AFF. Just wondering when I should do it again. Is their a "list" of milestones ?

try crossing the beer line next time on your landing :D
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

try crossing the beer line next time on your landing :D

Do it! do it!

I did it twice when I was just done with my A. The second time with only 20 cm. :S

But I did get popular. For a while.

:D
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Those are not Z-hills rules. Local law does NOT allow outside alcohol to be in the bar or surrounding areas. It's pretty much the same with any bar in florida, ya just can't do it. It has something to do with being able to keep our liquor license......:)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

when's the best time to bring it out? at night after everyone is done jumping?

Usually then, yeah. If it's not cold, you might arrange for it to get iced down sometime before the last load or so.

If you live in a theocracy (like Oklahoma) where you can't get real beer on Sunday, one trick is to bring your case of real beer, but keep it hidden in your car on Saturday. Everyone will drink up all the real beer on Saturday night, and then on Sunday afternoon, start complaining about having to drink 3.2 beer that evening. Let 'em sweat a little, then go get the case out of your car. Everyone will love you.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

you should buy beer if you think there is someone on the dropzone that has something in their head that may be of value to you. In other words, as long as you have stuff left to learn.

When that stops happening, you should quit skydiving.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I'm probably going to get the shit kicked out of me but I'm going to let this little cat out of the bag:

-If more than one first is accomplished on a single jump, only one case of beer is required.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm probably going to get the shit kicked out of me but I'm going to let this little cat out of the bag:

-If more than one first is accomplished on a single jump, only one case of beer is required.

Is that the first time you've posted this?