DHMonkey

Purchasing a rig on DROPZONE!?!?!?!

Looking to purchase my first rig through the dropzone classifieds... i would like to get it sent to a rigger to be inspected before purchasing... I understand that this is a fairly common practice... ANY suggestions on how to make this happen, so that both parties are covered!?!?!:S

Very common thing, you need to get the seller in contact with your rigging loft or DZO to act as a broker then have the seller send the rig for your rigger to look over. If you like it you send money or if it sucks you send rig back. I have done this a few times for buyers.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If the buyer's not comfortable with waiting for you to decide you want it and then send the money, it might also be agreeable to find a neutral party (DZO or rigger) on his side to whom you can send the check. Once everybody's happy then your rigger has your rig and his DZO has his check.

It's not 100% safe, but it's a little more likely to avoid being scammed on both sides. It kinda sucks that we've gotta be worried about shit like this within the community. On the plus side, as far as groups go, skydiving seems to have one of the lowest percentages of asshole
I got nuthin

I bought my harness and reserve on dropzone.com the guy who I bought harness from agreed to send it to my rigger and then I send him the money. With reserve was a little more dificult because the guy didn't agree to send the canopy first and the size I wanted was quite on demand so I had to risk and it worked. Well I talked many times with him on the phone gained a little trust. I am happy with what I'v got. Be carefull anyway!! good luck bro!

I've probably been involved in about 30 transactions (both buying and selling) on dz.com. I've always had good luck and never ran into a problem.

I'm a dzo and rigger, so I've acted as middle-man (woman) for several of my jumpers. Sellers can look me up on USPA and they ship to our business address. We usually hold the check, inspect the gear when it comes, and then forward the check to the seller. This works great.

But, I've also done many tranasaction direct to buyers/sellers (since I AM the middleman, and don't have anyone else to do it for me). I've never had a problem. I usually talk to the person by e-mail and by phone. You can usually get a pretty good idea about that person's trustworthiness by talking to him.

I've sent gear without receiving payment first to people I was comfortable with, they then looked at it, and sent payment afterwards. I've also done COD sales. In other cases, I've sent the check and waited for the gear, or we've agreed to send 1/2, get the gear, and then send the other half.

All in all, I've found that people in the skydiving community to be a pretty close knit and trustworthy group. Talk to the person. Use your common sense to judge a person and a situation. Look them up, look up or call their dz. If anything sounds unusual about the transaction or the deal seems too good to be true - beware, there are scams out there - but those people probably don't know too much about skydiving when you talk to them, either.

Besides using a rigger, i'm a fan of calling their dropzone for a reference. The best to talk to is the person who answers the phone. I figure if they know who i'm talking about and they are selling gear it should work smoothly. I have done most of my gear buying on here.

The key is being cautious.