partyboy

Riding Your Motorcycle With Your Rig On..?

Is it safe to Ride a Motorcycle with your rig on? I have just bought a bike and was wondering if riding to the DZ with just my rig on my back would pose a problem. Yes, the pilot chute needs to be stowed extremely well, besides that..

Up High!!

bad idea... seems kind of dangerous. ok, really dangerous[:/]
it's not just the pc you have to worry about, but the pin can still dislodge. i hope it's not a bumpy ride.
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Dude, this thread has DARWIN written all over it. Like it was said above, stick it in a gear bag.

The coolness factor of riding to the DZ with a rig on your back is null and void cos most of the people you pass won't know what it is anyway. ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

hi

people like morpheus technologies make stash bags for hiking to BASE exit points with your gear. Some of these seem to be pretty well designed and comfortable. May also help protect the gear a bit if you come off. Friend of mine did this (gear on bike....all the time no problem. He took the extra step of putting a belt or a luggage strap around his main...never worried about his reserve ...I guess a straight bike ride is relatively secure compared with clambering in and out of an aircraft and full contact RW or FF.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Paradox -- why is it considered OK to skydive with a rig and expose it to speeds in the 120-170 mph range, while at the same time it is considered dangerous to carry that same rig on a motorcycle at (hopefully) lower speeds?

If it opens prematurely, you're screwed. In both scenario's.

Just wondering ...

Disclaimer: I don't ride motorcycles.

The last guy I saw do that had the rig slide down and rub on the rear tire. It wore through the container, and some suspension lines. It could have been much worse.

Actually if I were to have a premature opening, I'd rather have one in freefall than on a motorcycle.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Is it safe to Ride a Motorcycle with your rig on? I have just bought a bike and was wondering if riding to the DZ with just my rig on my back would pose a problem. Yes, the pilot chute needs to be stowed extremely well, besides that..

There was a fatality in the 70's from it.
You figured he would have at least cut away the risers as he got on the bike, not that it would have really made any difference.

Darwins little helpers.....

I would not do it, gear bags are cheap compared to the possible result.

good day

I actually know someone trash-packed his canopy in the gear bag after jumping and went on down the road. The zipper on the gear bag worked its way loose and the canopy deployed pulling him off the bike.:D

Having said that, I've ridden with my gear stashed in a gear bag many times.

I seem to remember hearing a story about a guy who did that and used one of those temp pins riggers use when packing a reserve. He used to stick the pin through the main closing loop....can anyone see where this is going?

Yup! One day, he got to the dz in just enough time to make a load, which he did, and then had a total on his main.

My question is, why do you want to ride to the dz on your motorcycle with just your rig on your back?

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I *always* kept my rig in a gear bag, and just to be doubly sure, I tied the zipper shut with a pull-up cord.

Yes, your rig is designed to not deploy prematurely, but:
a. A premature going 60 horizontally on the ground will be much more deadly
b. Your rig could get knocked by something - when sitting in the plane, pins can and do get pushed out. Same goes for a motorcycle.

In addition to prematures, you could get all kinds of crap on it, say, if a truck passed you and splashed mud on it or kicked up dirt or gravel.

I used to ride with mine, before I bought a car. I would check the reserve pin, as well as shove the hackey into the BOC so that it wasn't exposed.

I never forgot to pull the hackey out, but I did "test" jump it that way a few times. It's easy to pull out if you are thinking about it.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Paging Darwin, Paging Darwin, You have an appointment with Partyboy...

A premie on your rig in freefall sucks, can damage your gear and hurts pretty bad.

A premie on your rig on your motorcycle sucks, can destroy your gear, get you killed, total your bike and possibly do many other bad things I'm envisioning but don't even want to put into words.

When I have my rig on my bike, its packed, its in a bag, that bag is bungeed to my sissy-bar and the zippers are secured closed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I bought a wheeled duffle bag from Wal-Mart that I can fit all but my camera helmet in (2 jumpsuits, rig, SIM, IRM, logbooks, other random crap, camera case, etc).

It cost all of $20 and has served me well for the past 3 years.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Paradox -- why is it considered OK to skydive with a rig and expose it to speeds in the 120-170 mph range, while at the same time it is considered dangerous to carry that same rig on a motorcycle at (hopefully) lower speeds?

If it opens prematurely, you're screwed. In both scenario's.

Come on friend, give it a seconds though. A premature in the air and you aren't skidding across pavement with a car or truck bearing down on you. Or worse yet, you aren't driven right through the windshield of a vehicle travelling behind you.

There's the bumps in a road which could dislodge a pin. Would you make 30 skydives in a row without a pin check?... because you get yourself a pin check and then skydive for a minute... this guy is going to be cruising for 30 minutes straight!

I heard about someone who used to ride with his rig on his back. Put some tape around his reserve handle. Someone noticed this tape was still there when said jumper was boarding the plane (:o) "Oops" he said "I forgot about that. No matter, it would have just broken had I needed to pull." as he started pulling at the loop of tape with his finger... "Damn that's tough... just a sec I got it... damn!"

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!