JT_76

Questions for the pilots out there

Read what Muex said and consider it, his words are to be taken seriously, I am not a pilot, but I work and live in aviation and damn near every career pilot i have talked to has told me that same thing. They told me not to consider a career as a professional pilot unless I want to get walked all over. Granted there are the choice corporate jobs, but its the same use and abuse gig for the most part. It is a labor of love... ;)

Hey, it's me again. Some more thoughts on your original post.

If your dream has been to fly, then absolutely - go for it.

Just make sure that it's for the right reasons. If you have a vision of being the senior pilot at FEDEX making a bazillion bucks a year. Forget it, you're too old and thousands of kids that got hired at FEDEX last decade are way ahead of you.

If your vision is to fly for the local FBO hauling whatever comes through the door, that is much easier to do. Won't make any money at it, but you will probably have fun.

I went to Embry-Riddle for my degrees and learned to fly in military aero clubs before I went to USAF Pilot Training. That is one path, there are many paths, they are all good if they get you where you want to go.

One of the classes I took was a one credit elective on how to write a resume. The assignment was to find a job offering that we wanted and write the resume that would get the job.

At that time I found a job offering in the back of an Aviation Week magazine for a Learjet pilot. They required so many hours and such, so I wrote the resume that satisfied all the requirements. My instructor looked it over and was very happy with the content, gave me an A. Then he asked me this question, "Wouldn't it be better to be the guy in the back of the Learjet?"

Flying is really fun, when you're in control of the when and where. When you do it professionally, everything changes.

To answer your original questions, this is the advice I'd offer.

Definately have a degree. A degree in Aeronautical something is better than Music Appreciation. The reason for this is that the better jobs are tough to get and you need to stack things in your favor.

Once you have a degree you'll need a Commercial, Instrument with Multi-engine. Another way of saying this is that having lots of money is a must.

The next step is to get your Airline Transport Rating. That requires 1500 hours, so it will take a while to get there. Many companies use that as a starting point. You can get a job as a co-pilot with the Comm/Ins ME, but you're in the right seat until you get the ATP. For the duration of your time in the right seat you'll need to live with somebody who can pay the bills, because you won't be able to do much more than buy beer.

One way to build hours is to teach. I've had great instructors and some real shit bags. The great ones taught because they loved flying. The shit bags taught because they were building time. Don't be a shit bag.

You asked about job satisfaction. In my experience a good landing in a C-182 is just as satisfying as a good landing in a B-747. So don't get too caught up in chasing airplanes.

Get a Private License and see how you like it. Go from there.

Have Fun,

MH

The EAA also puts on the big fly-in and airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin...

AIRSHOW TOO ;)

I have a buddy that decided at 30something he wanted to be a pilot too, he's now driving 737's...it's never to late to follow a dream.B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

AIRSHOW TOO ;)

Uh, I thought I mentioned the airshow. Am I confused? Or is all that smoke (from demo jumps or otherwise) getting to your brain?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

AIRSHOW TOO ;)

Uh, I thought I mentioned the airshow. Am I confused? Or is all that smoke (from demo jumps or otherwise) getting to your brain?

Eule

Oh...I'm sorry, did you mention that there's an AIRSHOW at the fly-in?:o

I must have skimmed the AIRSHOW part, because I certainly wouldn't have mentioned the AIRSHOW again if you had already said something about the AIRSHOW! :P

What, an AIRSHOW? At Oshkosh?:ph34r: guess I'll have to go! I can't wait to camp out again and drink beer, watch the crazies arrive, and then drink more beer.

Don't forget to watch what happens after the crazies all arrive...I hear there is an AIRSHOW! :ph34r:

I also hear the opening act of the AIRSHOW is fantastic...Never have really seen it...but I know if it's anything like the rest of the AIRSHOW..it's worth seeing! :)