tucoxn

Altimaster -> Clock

I was wondering if any of you has made a broken Altimaster into a clock.

I am thinking of buying a broken one and taking the guts out so I can install clockworks. Have any of you done this before? Have any of you taken apart an Altimaster, just because you're curious about the guts? Does taking an Altimaster apart require special tools?

I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!

"Moderation in everything - even in moderation!"

I am thinking of buying a broken one and taking the guts out so I can install clockworks.

You might look into the size of the available clock mechanisms. The common ones are almost as big as the body of a Galaxy and might not fit, but you can probably get smaller ones. Go to any craft or hobby shop and they should have clock mechanisms, hands, etc both separately and in sets. (Extra points for installing just the hour hand.)

Does taking an Altimaster apart require special tools?

This is not a recommended method, but given a loose wrist strap and luck, a standard taxiway seems to take apart an Altimaster pretty well.

If you want a really big wall clock, the templates that Alti-2 provides might be helpful. The Photoshop ones (PSD) are raster, not vector, but the resolution is fairly high, so you can blow them up quite a bit before the jaggies appear. Gimp also understands the PSD templates.

For sizes up to maybe a foot or so, you could get it color laser printed at Kinko's or similar for a couple of bucks. Bigger than that and you probably have to use a big inkjet plotter, which will be a little more expensive.

Rolling your own should be restricted to making one for yourself. If you're going to sell them, you need to talk copyrights and trademarks with Alti-2.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Thanks Eule!

So far, the only suggestion for taking apart an Altimaster is to smack it on the ground.

Are there any other suggestions?

I'm willing to try to fidgit with the clockworks if I can get the Altimaster apart without completely ruining it, cosmetically.

Thanks!

"Moderation in everything - even in moderation!"

Thanks Eule!

So far, the only suggestion for taking apart an Altimaster is to smack it on the ground.

Are there any other suggestions?

I'm willing to try to fidgit with the clockworks if I can get the Altimaster apart without completely ruining it, cosmetically.

Thanks!

What model of Altimaster? II, III, V ?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I'm trying to make one that I could put on my desk, not on my wall.

Sure. Buy a clock movement (search the internet, there's lots of places that sell them) and use the face from an old altimeter. With a bit if injinuity, you could probably use the case too ;)... or just buy one like some up thread have suggested... :S

I've made clocks out of several old kicker plates. The newbs have no idea what a kicker plate is... :S:D I even have one with a reverse movement, freaks people out. :P

Damn ZigZag ... get yerself a patent on that there "reverse motion kicker plate." Just think, you'd never have to pay for a round reserve pack job ever again with one of those on the rig. You could be rich.
Ya just land, give that old plate a kick and the spare repacks itself. Genius!
Zing Lurks