NickyCal

First Time at a Big Drop Zone

I am a student at a little tiny Cessna dz in the chilly wintry midwest. Haven't been able to jump since November. I will be home in San Diego for Christmas and am planning to get a couple of good coach jump days in at the San Diego dz. This will be a steep learning curve for me, having never been in the air with more than two other people on a load (we have a max of 5 and usually at least a couple get out at 5k). I will obviously have a nice long talk with my coach/instructors when I arrive at the new dz and stress that this will be a big first for me. However, since I'm an advance planner, I thought I'd also ask you all what would be some good tips/hints and things to really watch out for. What do I need to know?

I'm working towards my A, and since we're not really getting many jump days in here in the midwest right now, I'm hoping to get lots of good coaching while I'm home and continue in my progression. Thanks for any suggestions that you guys might offer!

Dig up google maps or google earth and check out the DZ from the air. You might also want to start a checklist of things to go over when you get there (Load order, separation, jump run direction, landing pattern, pull altitudes, obstacles, landmarks for spotting, etc) so you can check stuff off as you go over them and make sure you didn't forget anything you wanted to cover. If they cover anything you didn't have on your checklist, add it for the next new DZ!

Oh and don't forget to bring beer...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I posted this recently in another thread... I think it fits here as well:

I think the most critical thing that you can do when visiting any new dropzone (but particularly a very large dropzone like the ones you're considering visiting) is to get a thorough dropzone briefing - to include everything from where/how the planes get loaded, what the standard and alternate landing areas are (and you'll find that some of the big dropzones have a designated area for students and newer jumpers - it's good to know where that area is), how the dropzone establishes its landing patterns, where the good and bad out landing areas are, things to know about ground operations (like where the active runways/taxiways are that you might have to cross), where you shouldn't land or do your pattern (like in the middle of a high-performance area), etc.

Take some time to observe operations before you hop on your first load. Ask questions if you see something you don't understand.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The folks at Skydive San Diego will take great care of you. Stop in at the Gravity Gear Store on the DZ and meet Bonnie and Ashley. They will hook you up with everyone and everything you need to have a wonderful time.

It's 72 and sunny here todayB|

I had some early jumps at a large DZ while still a student. Pulling higher than most licensed jumpers and with a larger student canopy, the canopy traffic that I was in was limited to other students and maybe the tandems on the load. It was busier than the small DZ but I was not in the middle of 20 people all wanting to land at the same time. If you were taught proper landing pattern flying, that is one important thing to remember and to review with the new DZ. Know what their normal pattern is.

You might benefit from watching at least one load land before you go up.

At a new DZ, I like to walk out on the landing field and get a personal feel for the landing area before I fly down to land there. Often it looks different from a distance. I want to see it up close where I can touch it.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

NickyCal

I'm working towards my A

As you're still a student it's important to make sure you can easily transfer between the dropzones, as they might use different training programmes. It's less of an issue if you're expecting to do several jumps, but I wouldn't always recommend just popping in for a jump or two. Give them a call first and see what they say.

My hope is to come out for two full days, getting four or five jumps a day. I've been working on packing, so with a couple of solid coach jump days, I could be ready for my A quite soon after we open for the season again out here.

It may be different in the UK, but once I finished AFF, there wasn't really any more "training program". Its up to me to find coaches and work towards the license requirements. I've had trouble at our little dz finding coaches who could float with me, so I think that doing some coach jumps at a larger dz might be beneficial. Albeit insanely expensive!!!

NickyCal

It may be different in the UK, but once I finished AFF, there wasn't really any more "training program". Its up to me to find coaches and work towards the license requirements. I've had trouble at our little dz finding coaches who could float with me, so I think that doing some coach jumps at a larger dz might be beneficial. Albeit insanely expensive!!!

No, this depends greatly on the drop zone. Some programs are very structured up through the 'A license while others are as you have described.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

No, this depends greatly on the drop zone. Some programs are very structured up through the 'A license while others are as you have described.

Sorry, I should probably have stated that I'd already emailed the DZ and checked to make sure that it was ok to get out there and continue working towards my license. They said for sure, just make sure to book a coach ahead of time. I didn't realize that some dzs might not take a student, so good to keep in mind. Thanks!

NickyCal

My hope is to come out for two full days, getting four or five jumps a day. I've been working on packing, so with a couple of solid coach jump days, I could be ready for my A quite soon after we open for the season again out here.

On vacation, I visited a large DZ when I still had some swoops and docks to get signed off on my A card. Jumping from a C-182 at 9,500 feet (back home) made the Otter at 13,500 look like a great place to work on getting some of those things signed off. I told them I wanted to do a coached jump and the coach they put me with was also an AFF-I. I told the coach that I wanted to get these items signed off. The coach asked me if I had done a specific jump to practice fall rate control. I had not, so we agreed to such a jump. While this would not get my card signed off, it would be good learning. I mentioned I was a bit slow falling. I had my own suit but it was a slow suit. The coach put me in a very tight fast suit. After a couple of fall rate adjustments, I lost stability, flopped around a couple of times, and got back on my belly, waiting for the coach to get back into position. At about 9,000 feet instead of getting to the coaches slot, the "coach" docks on my left ankle. I looked over my shoulder and gave the thumbs up sign to mean I was good and wanted to continue the diveflow. But the coach stayed docked. Breakoff altitude came, I looked again, the coach stayed docked. I finally waved and pulled.

What a waste of my money. Advice, find a coach that is not an AFF-I.

Nicky,

I had the same thing as a new jumper fresh out of AFF and found myself at a DZ in France (did Aff in the USA)

Familiarity/ some basic knowledge goes a long way to calm the nerves.....

A few of the things that helped me...

Google street view of the DZ and buildings (so I had a rough Idea about the layout)

Map of the landing area/DZ.....

Watched every video (inc tandems) of the DZ on youtube
(became familiar with the Tandem Instructors - those I liked and those I didn't) and saw some of the regular jumpers.

Have your log book to hand. They want to know:

What jump number/When was your last jump/What size canopy...make sure you know this....

Check what rental gear they have before you turn up.....

Tell them your are a NEWBIE :-)

Enjoy and blue skies.

dthames

I sure don't know what the coach was thinking or whether his own fall rate was messed up.

Bu one bad jump with one AFF-I and they are all useless?

But the way you presented the issue, had the coach been curly haired and Jewish, you might have warned us that one should never jump with curly haired Jewish coaches because those people always screw things up...

NickyCal

I thought I'd also ask you all what would be some good tips/hints and things to really watch out for. What do I need to know?

I'm working towards my A, and since we're not really getting many jump days in here in the midwest right now, I'm hoping to get lots of good coaching while I'm home and continue in my progression. Thanks for any suggestions that you guys might offer!

Hi Nicky

I just did my first ever jumps at a new dz the weekend before last and one of the best things I did after the briefings and watching some landings, was to do my first jump as a hop and pop. I actually got out at 7,000' - it meant I was the first (and only) person out, I got to choose my pull height without causing issues for anyone else on the load (I pulled at 5000 instead of my more usual 4000) and it meant I could sit by the door and spot easily on the way up.

So when I jumped, I was the only person in the air, had plenty of time to get my bearings (some from Google maps and some from the dz briefing) and work out my landing pattern and didn't have to worry too much about other traffic whilst figuring out a new canopy. Definitely do all your canopy exercises (not sure about the US, but in the UK, I was taught CATTS for Canopy, Airspace, Toggles, Target, System) to see if there are any significant differences in the way your rental canopy turns or flares compared with the kit you are used to as well as the safety points.

If you're unsure of anything at all about spotting, the landing areas, the patterns etc, don't be afraid to ask, even on the plane. People would rather you double-check than be unsure - I did my own spot after the JM told me I was good to go, just to be sure I was where I expected to be. If I hadn't been, I wouldn't have left the plane!

Enjoy! :)
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Nicola,

Krisanne (NWFlyer) gave you some excellent suggestions for DZ familiarization when you get there, and Rich (Grimmie) is right, they will take excellent care of you, as will almost any large DZ you visit (Rich should know, he has his own DZ at Oceanside).

At SD San Diego, you will find a huge landing area, and like Rich's place, the most favourable winds on the West Coast. When you get there. remind them you are a new skydiver, and they will spend a little more time making sure you are well informed, and then your coach will likely cover most of that ground again with you.

I was down there Friday, and chose to jump in a t shirt with no gloves...comfortably! You'll have a great time... SDSD is a big DZ with, as they say, a small DZ feel. They have a Twin Otter and a Grand Caravan available, a good mix of tandems, students, and up jumpers, so you should have plenty of opportunities to jump... have a blast!

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

pchapman

I sure don't know what the coach was thinking or whether his own fall rate was messed up.

But the way you presented the issue, had the coach been curly haired and Jewish, you might have warned us that one should never jump with curly haired Jewish coaches because those people always screw things up...

I didn't say "useless" nor did I intend to suggest that.

I apologize to all AFF-Is that have not grabbed the student on a coached jump, and hung on like a pitbull.

dthames

I didn't say "useless" nor did I intend to suggest that.

I apologize to all AFF-Is that have not grabbed the student on a coached jump, and hung on like a pitbull.

Did you ask him why he did that? If one of my coaches had latched on to me like a pit bull for an entire freaking jump, I'd want to know why. I'm trying to remember if I ever had a coach or AFF jump that didn't have a debriefing. Don't think I did. Even now if I jump with others we go over the jump after we landed.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

There is one issue that hasn't been mentioned yet,...

:S

you'll love it.

:)
C

And jumpin a smaller aircraft might never feel the same....

I also want yo to just walk up to other jumpers and ask them if they can jump with you while your there! Find the coaches that are just hanging around and want to fun jump with students! They do exist, it's just that they are hard to find. Ask the other students!!! The others in your similar situation are a great source of support and information.

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Just a quick update that I had my first day at a big drop zone at Skydive San Diego yesterday and it was wonderful. I got in two coach jumps and one fun jump. I crossed off the rest of my in-air coached requirements from my A license sheet. Its amazing how much more you can accomplish from 13K! The setup was so well organized and easy to understand once I had a little talk with the lovely Sarah in manifest. Jumping from the Otter was so comfortable and fun. I was able to finally perfect my dive exits. It was really good learning how to land a pattern at a whole different DZ. Knowing that you *can* do this and it doesn't have to be only at your own airport! That actually builds a lot of confidence, that you have learned something along the way, being able to just jump someplace brand new and land where you're supposed to land without any help. You old timers will laugh at that, but the newbies might get where I'm coming from. And most of all, everybody was just so friendly and welcoming, even to the dork from the Midwest who was wearing her mother's big white tennis shoes (I'd traveled with my Docs and didn't even think about bringing a proper pair of sport shoes!). It was a great day and I accomplished so much. I will be back as a licensed fun jumper with my gear this summer. Can't wait!

You'll be just fine at Skydive San Diego. I visited there a couple years ago, and even with over a thousand jumps, got a thorough briefing on the terrain and pattern from one of the owners. As a student, you're sure to get even more thorough briefings from the instructors as they work with you.

SDSA is a larger dropzone, but by no means a gigantic one either. It will make for a very nice transition to help you get used to larger dropzones with turbos. It's a beautiful location, close to sea level, with a steady wind from the ocean that makes for lovely landings. You're going to LIKE it.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !