paulagc

How to build a pea gravel pit

it takes $2000-5000 to build fucking pea pit???

i say save the money on pea pit that people rarely hit and use that money to promo such as buy one jump get one free.

and if pea pit takes 2000 to start how much is decent sized swoop pond????
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

1. How many lbs/tons of rock to do I buy...(hmm...I've never bought rock myself...I don't really know how you order it...weight, truck load, ???)

As stated in my previous post, you would need 8 trucks carrying 12 cu yds each. Of course this is based on the resources I have available to me. Most gravel in bulk is sold to the end user by the yard, or truck load, and you will need ~90 cu yds for this project. Most gravel in this bulk is sold to the end user by the yard, or truck load.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Assuming we're going to pick it up ourselves, in a full-sized long bed pick up, how many truck loads? Or, is it more practical to have it delivered?

You do not pick up gravel in a pick up, not for a job this size, it is no where close to practical, have it delivered.

3. How many skydivers, equipped with shovels, will it take to shovel out the truck (assuming we do it ourselves), calculating the amount of rock to shovel, and the average amount of work that one skydiver, working for free, is capable of doing

If the gravel was dropped in piles, you would need a tractor, or a whole lot of elbow grease. However, you should be able to get the drivers to ‘tail gate’ their payload. By this I mean they would only crack open the tail gate and drive slowly back and forth where you want the gravel, spreading it as it falls slowly from the truck. Delivery drivers are a lot like skydivers here, a six pack each should do the trick. Once the gravel has been tail gated, you and couple friends should have no problem raking it out in an after noon or two.

(erring on the smaller side is fine, to save $$ and it's really not for regulation competitions, just to try to get our jumpers to be able to hit a target)...I need to know the following

If this is the case, why not go with a 10 meter diameter, which is the accuracy requirement for the pro rating. And I still say that 9” deep would be sufficient. A 10 meter diameter and 9 inches thick would take 23 cubic yards of gravel, or two trucks carrying 12 cubic yards each or about $1200 in my area. For 1.5 ft thick, double those numbers.

One other point I would like to add. It has been said that digging a hole will cause twisted ankles when landing on the edge, I agree, but gravel has a tendency to run and spread on its own if it is not contained. If you do not want your gravel mixing with your grass, you are going to need a hole. Why not a hole with tapered edges?

The attachment shows my suggestion. This pit I could dig, spread the dirt else where if you need it, and spread the rocks in it in a day. A Landscape contractor in your area should be willing to do the same for around $600. Then the rocks and the liner.

...but I would argue that the gravel only need to be a couple inches deeper than the deepest divot ones knee would make on landing. I would think about 9" would be sufficient...

Az... we need to dig up some old video (or film converted to video) of folks doing competition accuracy -- downwind approach & hook turning it into the peas under a round. Watch a couple of those landings and you'll understand why 9" of peas wouldn't be quite enough.

Anyway, its all moot because these days no one does competition accuracy using a round anymore and its all done on a tuffet with an electronic scoring pad, what 2.5cm across, in the center to register a dead center.

it takes $2000-5000 to build fucking pea pit???

i say save the money on pea pit that people rarely hit and use that money to promo such as buy one jump get one free.

and if pea pit takes 2000 to start how much is decent sized swoop pond????

Yeah, no shit... if you want to build a pea pit that big, its going to run you about that much.

Now think about what it would cost to put in a big swoop pond, keep it full of water... and stocked with fish... :P

Throw on top of that Aircraft operation & maintenance costs; Student & Tandem gear upkeep, maintenance, replacement; upkeep and improvement of DZ facilities and not to mention repair and replacement of DZ "stuff" when drunk skydivers break it (i.e. tossing a couch in the bonfire some night... tossing a cement picnic table in the pool... breaking a window or door... or shooting holes in the DZ trash cans one night with a .45... all of which I've seen done) :D:S:D:P... you'll begin to understand why some DZOs get kinda "bitchy" when skydivers say to them, "You're making lots of money... ya know what you ought to do... "
:D:P

How about putting a marker instead of a pea pit.

If all you need is something to aim for, then you can just flip a frisbee out into the landing area.

But the purpose of a pea pit is not just to serve as a target, but also to absorb hard landings so you don't get hurt.

But the purpose of a pea pit is not just to serve as a target, but also to absorb hard landings so you don't get hurt.

Very true on the last part there. :)

If all you need is something to aim for, then you can just flip a frisbee out into the landing area.

Yes, yes! And this also allows you the opportunity to play a classic pratical joke on one of your buddeis by tying a piece of fishing line to the afore mentioned frisbee and yanking it out of the way seconds before they land!
:D

Disclaimer: The above comment was meant as humor. Do NOT try this at home (or at your local DZ) because it may cause injury to the person trying to land on said "accuracy frisbee"... or, at the least, cause them to kick your ass.
:D:D:P

by tying a piece of fishing line to the afore mentioned frisbee and yanking it out of the way seconds before they land!

Today's trick for aspiring swoopers is to put a white cup over dog poop to give the swooper something to kick during their surf.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

by tying a piece of fishing line to the afore mentioned frisbee and yanking it out of the way seconds before they land!

Today's trick for aspiring swoopers is to put a white cup over dog poop to give the swooper something to kick during their surf.

Do you set the cup on fire so they're tempted to stomp it?

:D