storm1977

Students watching Videos of Low turns

***Onething I will say, I was NEVER taught what a FLAT TURN was as a student.... I think more emphasis should be put on them!!!

Good Point Chris and come to think of it, I never
did a flat turn until I did Scott Millers class this year.
It was not taught in my AFF

One thing I will say, I was NEVER taught what a FLAT TURN was as a student.... I think more emphasis should be put on them!!!

It is claimed the more skydivers are killed under full canopies than under mals (low turns taking the majority). A fact of life is that low turns increase the risk of death or serious injury manyfold, therefore more emphasis should be put on how to avoid the need to turn low.

In the basic training (basic meaning all you need to know to perform your intended skydive safely, at least as safe as posible) the instructor will teach you what to do when thing go correctly & what to do if things go wrong.

As you progress in the sport you will be given additional instruction to improve your skills and build up your knowledge. To give you all this training on day one would, in most cases, be a waste of time as quite a few students can't remember which is there left hand (some can't even remember their name till they are back on the ground).

Were you taught emergency stops, skid control, 'heel/toe' (footbrake/throttle control), handbrake turns etc. on your first driving lession? I doubt it! Your instructor would have given you the basics at first then added more as you progressed. He probably not have even taught heel/toe or handbrake turns, both of which can be of use in certain emergency situations.

Just as turns, tracks, track turns etc. are taught in stages as you progress through your basic training, teaching front & rear riser turns, flat turns, riser flares, what pulling on both front or both rear risers do etc. etc. is usually done in stages as you build up your canopy skills.

Low turns are normally made in order to build up speed for swoop landings. Only on a low number of occasions are they done as an avoidance manouver.

Learning how to turn low safely IS imporatant and everyone should, but surely they should learn how to avoid the NEED to turn low first. I was taught to pick a large open area so if I overshot or landed short of my target I would still be clear of hazzards.

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

good point, I have said and will say it again "the more I sydive the more complex it becomes" therefore there is only so much you can tell a student
before they go into "overload". As a student I was on mission to finish my AFF($) Now it's a whole different ball game. As for a video with a face plant..
I am all for it, but not with a student but maybe a guy like myself approaching that 100 jump syndrome when we think we have our shit together.
NOT!!!!