Nasemann

some advice?

so I have been living in asia for the last 6 months and there ain't no dz here. I've got anoter 6 months to go which means that I will not skydive for 1 year[:/]
my boss says, that I should apply for another position in asia after this year and it's a good investment in my career, but now I'm struggling because I miss skydiving so much. if I go back to europe I will definately be able to do my skydives but then I will have to take some drawbacks concerning my work into account. I don't expect anyone here to find or provide me with the right solution [it probably doesn't even exist] but it would be nice to hear some different opinions from skydivers, as the people who I work with would never understand my sport related concerns.

why not open your own DZ?

Great idea.

If that is not possible, you will have to decide what is more important to you, money or skydiving.

7 years ago, I decided to leave my career, sell everything I owned - buy a truck and camper and I was going to take a year out of the rat race to just skydive and have fun.
Here I am 7 years later, broke as hell and trying to resurrect my career, but mostly concerned with skydiving and recovering from some medical issues (which means I cannot do much of anything these days).
I do not have any regrets, the past 7 years have been more fulfilling than making money, but that was just my personal decision, I had no children or wife so my decision did not affect anyone but myself and I have had a GREAT time!

I figured, why wait until I am old to retire and wanted to enjoy some of it now, but did not intend for my "sabbatical" to last so long.
Wouldn’t change a thing! For me, it was so worth it!

So it is a personal choice...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Boogies... no-one says that you have to jump at your local DZ - many jumpers probably get more jumps in annually at Boogies than at home.

There are some related issues with currency etc, but provided that you bear those in mind and adjust your risk levels (jump type, canopy choice etc) accordingly, there is no reason why you cannot travel to jump. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

There are at least two boogies in Asia (Thaiskyfestival and Laos boogie) where you are able to do probably up to 50 jumps. In addition there is a dropzone in UDON THANI (place of the last worldteam) that operates whenever they have students.
You can also take your vacation for a skydiving trip.

Finally you might ask grosfion (moderator of the German forum) who lived some years in Asia.

Do you like your job and the people you work with? --Y if yes, i would stay and try some of the above.

blue ones,

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

It totally sucks. I worked out there for about three months but at least I was able to squeeze in a couple of trips to Pattaya. Personally, I think keeping the career on track is more important but that's my choice.

Go to Australia to jump. Skydive Express in Perth is probably the closest and if you can make a three day weekend out of it, you should be able to get a bunch of jumps in. Also, you can go to the Skyventure tunnel in Genting, Malaysia. It's not the best tunnel in the world but it's better than nothing.

The Asiania Championship is being held in Malaysia in late August. www.asiania.org See what's up with that.

So let me get this straight... You want to hurt your career so that you can skydive? Skydiving will always be there, but carreer opportunities don't come along every day. Fuck skyiving for now man! If you get a big promotion then you would be able to afford it later. Really dude... Skydiving is not all it is cracked up to be. Think about it.

1. You can get killed very easily.
2. You can get badly injured very easily.
3. Other people can kill you by doing something stupid, and they do stupid shit all the time.
4. Other people can injur you badly by doing stupid shit.

You are already not current, so stick with your carreer for now and pad your 401 k. Do you think you will be jumping when you are old? Just keep skydiving as a hobby. There are other things out there in life than skydiving. It is sad that people get so wrapped up in skydiving and let it become their only thing in life at the detriment of family, and career. Sure they may reflect back and say they had some great times but the world is a lot bigger and more interesting than a stupid dropzone.

So let me get this straight... You want to hurt your career so that you can skydive? Skydiving will always be there, but carreer opportunities don't come along every day.

Ding ding ding!

That's my advice. He has opportunities to see and experience things in Asia that few people get to enjoy. Take advantage of them while you can. Soak up the culture. Travel. Learn. Enjoy.

Skydiving will still be here for you when you come back. Meanwhile, take in a boogie now and then when you can.

Good, responsible and sound advice...

Glad I did not take that advice 7 years back, because now, if I wanted to take a year off to skydive my ass off, it would be too late.

There is a chance, however small that a medical issue will arise, as it did for me that will affect ones ability to do such a thing. I am not far from being in a wheelchair due to a reoccurring spinal tumor that is destroying my neurological system.

The odds of something like that happening are about the same as winning the lottery, and I did not think I would be so lucky but here I am - glad that I took the chance to live out a dream while my health was in tact because now it is gone for the remainder of my life.
There are some things money cannot buy…
Skydiving will always be there, but our health will not. I will have business opportunities arise that I can do as a cripple and skydiving unfortunately is not on that list.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Skydiving will still be here for you when you come back.

Life has no guarantees. You could be dead next year. On Sunday another friend in his 30s died of cancer. I seem to see this every couple years. My own motorcycle accident last year could have been far worse.

If I thought another year in Asia would set my career nicely for the next decade, I'd probably do it. But there's definitely things being given up for it. And no promise that they'll be made up later.

There are dropzones in Indonesia that operate intermitantly, you would have to check to see they are still flying (or flying that week).
You never said what part of Asia you were in (pretty big continent as it stretches from China to Israel). There is a tandem mill in Iran, Japan has dropzones AFAIK, Fiji as well. As mentioned Thailand and Laos have boogies.
Okay here ya go:
Skydiving in Malaysia

In the meantime, if you're in Malaysia and want to jump, you can do so through the Federal Territory Sports Parachuting Club in Kuala Lumpur. The actual drop-zones are in Malacca and Segamat, southeast of Kuala Lumpur, to avoid the busy airspace in and around the capital.

Beginner's courses cost M$300. The price includes one jump. You carry two parachutes: a square main and a round reserve. Individual jumps cost M$40-50 for all levels of parachutist. Students jump from 3000-5000ft; experienced parachutists jump from up to 10,000ft. Other than student chutes, equipment is not available for hire. Experienced jumpers should bring their own rig.

For further information, contact the Federal Territory Sports Parachuting Club, No 7 Jalan Raja Muda Musa, Kampung Baru, 50300 Kuala Lumpur. Tel: (603) 408 3648 / 984 0063. Or contact Aziz Ahmad on tel: (603) 261 9055; fax: (603) 261 0502

Malaysia is pretty close to Thailand if that's where you are based. Hope that helps.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

FYI FWIW the OP's name in the profile section makes me think she's a nice lady (height unknown:() not a guy.:$

The city the OP lists she's located in is Dalat google shows Dalat is in the Nam aka Viet nam. Home country of Uncle Ho since deceased from old age.

thanx for the advice guys....there are some point of views which really make me think more clearly about this whole issue.

as I said, I do not expect anyone to solve my problem, but it's just very important to get some feedback from other skydivers.
I 'm staying in Vietnam at the moment, working in this hotel and the problem with the boogies like Laos or Thailand is, that they take place mostly in the time when we have a high occupancy in our resort. but anyway as a couple of you mentioned before, there are still other opportunities available [windtunnel, australia etc.].
I guess that I should just go with the flow, enjoy the ride and wait for the moment when some dz's will open in asia.

and sorry to dissapoint you Krip, I am a guy with a hairy back :D

Blue Skies my friends, the next Tiger Beer is dedicated to you!

Wax On - Wax Off...

yup.....that's how I do it mate, I found a place here where two ladies wax your complete back for $8 and you even get a green tea and a foot massage:ph34r:
usually I don't care about the hair, but I started to scare small children at the beach