northcave

Have you ever done a bandit Jump?

Haven't done one, but I've held the door for a couple of friends to jump out of rented 172's. No permission of any kind was involved in those jumps to the best of my knowledge.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

is it just me or are you yanks A LOT more chilled out. I think most skydivers / Dz's would have a heart attack if you told em you'd jumped into a back yard party over here.

I've noticed that attitude in many Brits and areas of life. You Brits are way too hung-up on getting government permission to do things, and worrying about bureaucracy and rules.

The way I understand it...if it's not into any "restricted" airspace and you notify the local, it's cool. Once you notify the local, you've essentially become your own personal dz/dzo. If the pilot doesn't hold a commercial license, you can still jump from his/her plane but no money can be exchanged...that would qualify as a "commercial operation" and would constitute a license violation on the pilot's part. If you don't own the landing area, you need to have the landowner's permission.

The way the regs seem to read, you can even do a "demo"....as long as it was not your "primary intent", to perform for the entertainment of others. Technically, you can jump with an infinite number of spectators present, as long as your "primary intent" is simply to have a good time...not "primarily" to entertain the spectators. That's how I understand it but mostly, it's all kinda' vague and they leave a lot to interpretation. Go up, get out....have a ball! ;)

"T'was ever thus."

In the olden days bandit jumps were probably a lot more common. Bob Sinclair made a bandit jump into what I believe was, the Rose Bowl Game, back in the day, with a round. I don't think anyone knew, until he came floating down. It took very large balls to do some of the things he has done. Bob Sinclair is my hero[:/]....Steve1

In the olden days bandit jumps were probably a lot more common. Bob Sinclair made a bandit jump into what I believe was, the Rose Bowl Game, back in the day, with a round. I don't think anyone knew, until he came floating down. It took very large balls to do some of the things he has done. Bob Sinclair is my hero[:/]....Steve1

How and where is Bob now?

I saw an advertisement in the local newspaper, The Herald Express for Torbay in South Devon back in the mid 80's. Some guy was offering champagne flights in his hot air balloon. I called him, said I would like to fly in his balloon, not have any champagne and not land with him in his balloon. We met, we talked, he agreed (somewhat hesitantly), I paid, I geared up, climbed into the balloon basket and off we went. The area of Devon where the jump took place is Dartmoor, a local mini wilderness that goes from just above sea level to 1,500 amsl at Princetown. The problem was the prevailing winds were blowing 'up the slope' so to speak and I'm begging the balloon pilot to climb as fast as he can as I watch us drifting over a landscape that is of higher and higher altitude itself. I got out with 2,600 feet on my alti, dumped immediately and when I landed there was still 800 feet on the clock! Who says Brits are too anal to bust through the rules?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Hi tim,

Well I think I paid about 30 quid but can't remember too well, that was meant to include the champagne too! It was about 1986. I've done 4 balloon jumps altogether and unless they are 'free' for some reason they tend to be an expensive jump! My other three balloon jumps were not 'bandit' jumps and were all a great thrill in different ways. (I'm not counting the 50+ static line 800 foot balloon jumps I did for military continuation training from tethered balloons, back in the days when Big Ben was just a wristwatch.)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.