schon267

sinus pain during jump?

I did 2 jumps last sunday and during the 1st jump when I was under canopy at about 2000' , the middle of my right eyebrow started throbbing real bad, to the point of feeling like it was going to bust out of my head. when I got down, I tried to clear my ears and that seemed to help. so I went back up, but this time at about 5000' during freefall, both eyebrows started hurting the same way.

I only have 69 jumps(I like this #, hahaha), so I need the seasoned peoples help, has this happened to anybody? and is it just a pressure equalizing thing? and what can I do to correct it, if possible?
by the way, I wasn't congested or anything either.

thanks for the insight, steve

Did a search for "sinus" for you, check it out, lots of posts on this issue.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=sinus&sb=score&mh=25

Heres one for "sinus pain"
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=sinus%20pain&sb=score&mh=25
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If I've been sick (common Cold) I find that I will get those kinds of sinus pains when jumping within a week of being ill. But its only happend to me a couple of times in the last 9 years. Definitely painful and not worth jumping with.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

the times i've had sinus problems it's pressure in my ears and/or right under my eyes. after a couple of jumps when i got under canopy where i had to very quickly open my face shield to hold my nose and blow to relieve the pinful pressure. i've started taking claratin or another strong decongestant before i leave the house for a day of jumping. this really helps for when my allergies are kind of acting up but i'm not fully sick. if i'm fully sick i'll stay on the ground.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Definitely not worth jumping if there is that bad of pain, but I still do if there is just a "little" pain. I just finished my antibiotics for a middle ear infection from jumping with allergies. Apparently there was fluid trapped there from my sinuses being congested and that was a feeding ground for bacteria. :S

http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. I've never had pain under canopy, but I have in the plane. It only lasts for a few seconds. One weekend I was jumping with allergies and had this sharp pain in my forehead between my eyes. I was a little stuffed up from allergies. Kept jumping (was on a mission for my 300th jump) and was mostly fine except for some occasional throbbing on the way up. The next day my ear started hurting terribly. Monday morning my eardrum burst. It was extremely painful. Jumping didn't CAUSE it, but it definitely aggravated it to that point... :SB|

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I started to have sinus pain only last year, during a boogie weekend. it only started after all the jumps ( I think I had 4 that day)... the next day I could not jump at all :(
this year I felt it again in the middle of the day so I took Sudafed and got better.
Now I always have it with me... but I only take it when I feel that I will need... maybe after the 3rd jump, so that pressure on my forehead and nose goes away.

if you feel it really bad.. don't jump.

good luck:)

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)