simplyputsi

Organizers

Ask before you go how it will be when you get there. Then you won't be surpised. A good boogie will have organizers for all skill levels.

And so people can predict the future now.

You REALLY don't pay attention, do you. Suggesting you call ahead is NOT asking you to predict the future.

Perfect example of that is WFFC when I went. One should have been able to get organized there despite their jump numbers. That was definitely not so, sorry Billvon, but a friend and I more than once tried to get organized and were brushed off.

Must be an attitude thing :P Billvon jumped with me at WFFC when I had 100 jumps.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Must be an attitude thing :P Billvon jumped with me at WFFC when I had 100 jumps.

With you on that one -

It can be more rewarding to organize a small way with very inexperienced skydivers, getting no points and doing it again making a small improvement rather than sticking with those who have "proven" themselves and making million point skydives.

To me, there is nothing better than helping others learn…

Jeezzz, sounds like Paris Hilton started this one...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

With you on that one -

I can be more rewarding to organize a small way with very inexperienced skydivers, getting no points and doing it again making a small improvement rather than sticking with those who have "proven" themselves and making million point skydives.

To me, there is nothing better than helping others learn…

Also when you organize new upjumpers you help them to feel like people actually want them around, and as such they want to stick around more. So that is really cool
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Also when you organize new upjumpers you help them to feel like people actually want them around, and as such they want to stick around more. So that is really cool

I wish I could afford to do it more.

I always feel bad when someone has to cover my slot for coaching, but hey, I am poor as hell...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I wish I could afford to do it more.

I always feel bad when someone has to cover my slot for coaching, but hey, I am poor as hell...

Gotta eat somehow brother. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when the super experianced jumpers ask me if I want to jump with them. Like I would say no
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Gotta eat somehow brother. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when the super experianced jumpers ask me if I want to jump with them. Like I would say no

Thanks for the reminder; I know/knew exactly how that feels.

Even though these spinal tumors and surgeries have affected my ability to jump much, and that I went from a broke skydiver to a really poor underprivileged broke skydiver because of the medical issues, I am going to make it a point to go to a newbie and just ask them out of the blue to go make a fun jump with me. It would mean a lot to them, more than I realize.

Even if someone is a top notch natural, I really consider 200 jumps still a beginner, still inexperienced and I felt that way back when I had 200. But someone who is struggling to get on loads with others because of their low jump numbers, I am going to target one of those from now on every time I am healthy to make some jumps and go make a sport jump with them. Even if they are a spoiled whinny individual, because it really would mean a lot to them, build their confidence and give them practice jumping with others.

I really do remember how much it sucked finding it hard to get on a formation with others because I had low jump numbers – but I often times forget so thank you for the reminder…
Mykel AFF-I10

The first time I went to Cross Keys, I was getting ready to do a two way with my travel partner who had a little over 100 jumps at the time, and A D liscenced jumper asked us if we wanted him to join us. I learned a lot that dive. It was a great experiance. It also felt really good too.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

> Perfect example of that is WFFC when I went. One should have been able
>to get organized there despite their jump numbers. That was definitely not
>so, sorry Billvon, but a friend and I more than once tried to get organized
>and were brushed off.

Sorry to hear that. Up until last year we had someone at tent four (DJan) who would run around looking for new jumpers to get them on loads. We had me, Amy, Mary S, Darryld, Tom, Anita and Winsor (on occasion) specifically for lowtimers, and we had a central table where you could go and sign up for organized jumps. Usually the low-time jumpers went once we got 3-4 people to sign up; the experienced groups would fill to 10-20 before they went. (Often those dives used 2 organizers.) Sounds like you fell through the cracks somehow. Did you sign up for a load?

Yes and no. I look at the Boogies I want to attend and then look at organizing. If there are going to be plenty of people there that I know, I would still attend without regard to the organizer. But, if I am going to a Boogie where I may not know many people, I will look more closely at who is organizing.

Plenty of organizers work with mixed levels of proficiency. Last week @ Raeford I was on a couple of 20 ways with Kirk Verner and the experience ranged from 50 - 1000+ jumps. I also saw him do 4 way with a guy who had 65 jumps. Same with 4 - 8 ways with Joe Trinko at the same boogie. A couple of weeks prior, I was in Chester, SC jumping qwith Chris Wagner and he was organizing people onto 3 - 10 ways with 30 - 1000+ jumps.
If the DZ is providing organizing, particularly at a Boogie, I believe that you have a right to be included. The way I see it, you paid your registration just like anyone else.

We used to say, "We're doing 8-way." :D
If we took 10, 8 got in. If we took 16, 8 got in. :D

At every WFFC that I have attended, there has always been plenty of organizers for low-timers.

The organizer has many considerations.

The safety of the other jumpers. A 12-way is a lot different than a 4-way. Breakoff, tracking, approach, and dock.

The "success" of the jump (however that is defined).

Sometimes, it is just a completion. If a person with 50-jumps takes out a 16-way, they just burned $300 of others peoples money.

Experienced jumpers want to do dives that challenge them. They are paying for value in their boogie experience also.

I tend to tailor it to the group choice. Magic Carpets, fast 6-way, complex 8-way, inflatables, or silliness.

People who I have never met have inflated their jump numbers or vastly over-estimated their abilities.

It isn't always easy helping 9 strangers have a safe, successful jump.

> Perfect example of that is WFFC when I went. One should have been able
>to get organized there despite their jump numbers. That was definitely not
>so, sorry Billvon, but a friend and I more than once tried to get organized
>and were brushed off.

Sorry to hear that. Up until last year we had someone at tent four (DJan) who would run around looking for new jumpers to get them on loads. We had me, Amy, Mary S, Darryld, Tom, Anita and Winsor (on occasion) specifically for lowtimers, and we had a central table where you could go and sign up for organized jumps. Usually the low-time jumpers went once we got 3-4 people to sign up; the experienced groups would fill to 10-20 before they went. (Often those dives used 2 organizers.) Sounds like you fell through the cracks somehow. Did you sign up for a load?

I didn't fall through the cracks bill, you said it plain as day in your post. Up until last year. I went last year, there was no lists, not in tent 1. I was told that is where someone of my experience level could get help and organized and it just didn't happen. And I'm pretty sure we asked if we should be in another tent. Like I also said, I was not the only one, and I found a group to jump with, that was using a list.

As for the predict the future comment kallend, I meant if I call a dz how can they really tell me how an organizer is going to do things? They really should know, and I hope they would, but ultimately unless you talk to the organizer you would have no idea what the plan is.

Maybe that would be best for the boogie advertisements. Maybe they should state exactly what the organizer is organizing. RW organizing is vague. is it 4 way, 8 way, groups of xx ways, larger ways of 20 +.
It's just a thought.

edit: I can't spell as usual
Skymama's #2 stalker -

So I'll stir it up today. I always see boogies advertising organizing by x, or y, or whoever and I wonder who cares.
Say the organizer is a FF, most of the time, from my experience is that the only people getting organized are the bad ass free flyers.
Say the organizer is a Belly flyer/RW. Most of the time it's the high jump number people getting organized.

I'm not saying this is how it is all the time, and I've been organized more than a few times by the advertised organizer.

I guess i'm wondering what everyone thinks about it. Do you say hey, x is organizing at that boogie I'm going?
I'm probably just talking out of my ass. [:/]

And before anyone flames, I did not say organizing is a bad thing!!!! or the organizers.

Just come to SkyFest where we average 15 LO a year. For all type of jumps. We will also offer free coaching jumps. You opinion will change about LO's and what it does for you. You have my word on it...:)

Yeah. What of it?:D
Among other things, it'll be mid-July in Texas. All the women, and all of the men, will be hot :ph34r:. Unless they're in the air-conditioned packing, that is :P

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

and schrimshers answer to any question before july is over JUST COME TO SKYFEST.

Yeah. What of it?
Among other things, it'll be mid-July in Texas. All the women, and all of the men, will be hot . Unless they're in the air-conditioned packing, that is

Wendy W.

Bwaaaaahh! Thanks Wendy!

Yeah. What of it?:D
Among other things, it'll be mid-July in Texas. All the women, and all of the men, will be hot :ph34r:. Unless they're in the air-conditioned packing, that is :P

Wendy W.

I just got an invite to a big way event at Dallas in August. What's the weather like in Dallas (or Whitewright) in August?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I understand what you are saying, guy. And I can understand where they are coming from.

When there's only 1 organizer, it's only natural that the LO would want to stick with his "specialty" and of course he/she would want to do his best to ensure that the skydive was successful....only natural. That happens a lot.

I, like you, would love to see more out of those LOs, though...say, the big boys on this jump, the next for the lower skill levels. Alternating.

You big name guys...I know your time is valuable. I know you naturally want to spend your time with the high-skill guys. I know that most of you do spend some time with the youngsters. I'm OK with that. But, think of this...a young jumper looking up at you and your skill level and your reputation being able to log a jump with the "big boys"....how cool is that?

A side benefit is the good PR this generates for the LO, the Boogie and the DZ.

God, one of my most memorable jumps was Derek Thomas inviting me, a youngster, on a 5-way with him and 3 other "big boys"...Holy shit, turned 13 points and although my body come down to earth, my head and heart stayed in the sky for months. Derek could murder the entire Vienna Boys Choir tomorrow and I would still love him.

Kinda like the superstars signing autographs...the best-loved stars are those that understand and accomodate, if for no other reason, the "adoring fans".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Speaking of organizers. I was walking around my local DZ this saturday and looking for people to jump with. I only found a partner for one jump. I only made three, because I got the same old you don't have enough jumps to jump with me speach. I think I need a cooler DZ to go to. I would have liked to jump more, but how much can you really learn doing solos.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

> Like I also said, I was not the only one, and I found a group to jump
> with, that was using a list.

Cool! Sounds like it worked out for you then. Amy and I weren't at WFFC last year so I don't know what went on that year.

Speaking of organizers. I was walking around my local DZ this saturday and looking for people to jump with. I only found a partner for one jump. I only made three, because I got the same old you don't have enough jumps to jump with me speach. I think I need a cooler DZ to go to. I would have liked to jump more, but how much can you really learn doing solos.

You can learn lots of freeflying stuff doing solos and you don't have to put up with the bullshit.:)
Walt

Lots do care. For one reason, they know that it won't be a throw-together scab load where the amount of money invested does not have a return in sucess. How would you feel about spending money going to a big-way focused boogie, money on 10-20+ skydives, repacks, hotels, etc. and the result was failure. Those "X" or "Y" L/O's have a demonstrated history of success. They'll cut someone who's making the team fail. It's not just your $20.00 for the load if someone regularly shits the bed; it's $20.00 times the number of participants on the dive. Not hard math to see that a 100 way with ten fubared attempts is twenty grand in the shitter. And, success is what draws participants to an event.

In addition, L/O's who work with low-time/jump numbers are also the ones who observe skill/numbers and act as a conduit to recommend skydivers to the next level of L/O or as a filter to prevent the next L/O from spending time and money to learn that someone's not ready for that next level.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have had one of my best experiences while on holiday in Deland. After jumping alot solo, I was sick of it and asked Scott Miller and a friendly woman from the staff (AFF instructor) who at the DZ might be similar (low) experience and might want to jump with me.

Well they then put together an 8-way sunset dive with staff and other friendly jumpers and it was easily my most memorable jump in the US. It was also my biggest to today and I hope I can say that I did not too bad (you can't do too much bad when you are base right? :$).

Jumps like that make it worthwhile and help me keep in the sport over times when I get attitude all too often :(