77r

Landing in strong wind

Can anyone offer any insight on how to land when the wind is so strong you don't seem to be moving forward? Perhaps even being blown back some (?!)

This happened to me this last Saturday where the wind was so strong I was losing altitude, but not being able to get to the landing area. Kind of scary and I'm wondering if there is anything you can do to maneuver you parachute despite this???

You land the same way you're trained to. The difference is that when you're not making any forward movement, the landing can be quite a bit softer.

When the wind is blowing so hard that you're creeping backwards, it's called a "reverse approach". You still land the same way you're trained to.

In both cases, it helps to pivot on one foot after landing and yanking on one of your brake lines to collapse the parachute before it pulls you over.

More importantly, learn the area around your DZ so you can find the safe "outs" (landing areas outside the main DZ).

Either way, your parachute flies the way it's designed to, but if you're a young jumper, flying a large canopy, you're not going to make a lot of headway in strong winds.

If you're still on student status, pay very close attention to the winds. The BSRs state a 14kt wind limit for students for a reason, your experience being one of the them.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If your arms are short, just yanking on a toggle won't do it. Hand over hand. If you can't stay standing because the wind is too strong, just keep pulling. It WILL collapse, and you'll stop being drug.

Prepare for landing before you land; this is a good time to be ready for a PLF if you're really backing up already. You probably will be drug, but at least you won't be as likely to be injured and drug.

If you still have some forward speed, then yes, land, pivot, and keep hauling in on a toggle. Run around your canopy as soon as you can. And gather it up piece by piece, because otherwise it'll start inflating while you're carrying it in and piss you off.

Not that I know anything about jumping in too much wind or anything :$:P. The best answer is don't do it.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It may take a little less flare to land softly, and it might be better to do it a little later - but don't count on it. Sometimes you'll feel a push down at 50 feet due to turbulence, in which case you might need give a little toggle input and hold it to slow your vertical speed.

Pivoting/turning around immediately after touchdown is vital, decide which way you'll turn before you land. If you turn to the right, then drop your left toggle and use both hands to keep pulling on your right toggle. If you mess up and start to get dragged around badly, apply the same technique of reeling in one brake line. Cutting away is an option. If you think the need to do that may exist (it will be a hassle to straighten out the main), remembering to disconnect your RSL up high will prevent having to pay for a repack. If you don't remember while you're still very high, don't distract yourself.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Consider undoing the RSL prior to landing. If your getting dragged and decide to cutaway you won't deploy the reserve and get drug some more.

Talk with instructor at DZ.

Come on, you should know better than to think that a reserve PC will actually deploy the reserve in less than gale force winds. You'll just prevent the cost of a repack and the embarrassment, nothing more.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Kind of scary and I'm wondering if there is anything you can do
>to maneuver you parachute despite this???

Not too much. The usual tricks (killing the slider, separating the risers, pulling your legs up) will have a very small effect on your forward speed, but might make the difference between landing in a lake vs. on the shore. If you are actually backing up, front risers will get you on the ground faster, so you'll lose less ground to the wind.

Note that your canopy is just flying happily along; it doesn't know that it's not making headway. If your canopy is doing 20mph airspeed and the winds are 20mph you won't make any headway - but if you turn around you'll be doing 40mph over the ground. That means you can reach a lot of outs that are behind you; use them if you need to!

If you do go for an out, make sure that you decide up high while you still have room to reach it. Don't fly downwind of the out once you go for it. If you are standing still, using some brake will cause you to back up. You can "back into" a landing area in this way. Keep in mind that the wind will die down as you get closer to the ground, so plan on getting more drive as you get lower.

Can anyone offer any insight on how to land when the wind is so strong you don't seem to be moving forward? Perhaps even being blown back some (?!)

This happened to me this last Saturday where the wind was so strong I was losing altitude, but not being able to get to the landing area. Kind of scary and I'm wondering if there is anything you can do to maneuver you parachute despite this???

High Wind Landing Approaches
plus links therein.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Don't get on the plane to begin with. In most circumstances there is not a significant difference in wind speeds between take off and landing.

Did you know the winds were high when you got on the plane or did they pick up significantly during the climb to altitude?
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

A lot of good words from a lot of good folks up post on how to deal with landing in high winds... if one jumps long enough, you'll have to land in high winds and there are some good things to keep in mind that folks up post have said...

... But to pull the thread that Jack said... Something that noobs may want to also know so they can have in their "bag of tricks" was a good piece of advice that an ol' grey hair (Philly) gave me years ago when standing looking the wind meter on a "marginal day" was to add about 7Kts of windspeed to what the winds are currently doing and ask yourself again if you'd like to be under canopy in that? Then decide if you really want to get on the load?

A lot of good words from a lot of good folks up post on how to deal with landing in high winds... if one jumps long enough, you'll have to land in high winds and there are some good things to keep in mind that folks up post have said...

... But to pull the thread that Jack said... Something that noobs may want to also know so they can have in their "bag of tricks" was a good piece of advice that an ol' grey hair (Philly) gave me years ago when standing looking the wind meter on a "marginal day" was to add about 7Kts of windspeed to what the winds are currently doing and ask yourself again if you'd like to be under canopy in that? Then decide if you really want to get on the load?

Or better yet can you land your reserve on a day like that.

When the birds are having problems flying stay on the ground
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

We have a saying in paragliding circles....
"it's much better to be on the ground, wishing that you were in the air, than in the air, wishing that you we're on the ground!!"

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

No. Wind seemed fine when I got to the dropzone. People had been jumping all day. Was actually kind of hot. Wind was unexpected.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice.

Don't get on the plane to begin with. In most circumstances there is not a significant difference in wind speeds between take off and landing.

Did you know the winds were high when you got on the plane or did they pick up significantly during the climb to altitude?