Philly215

Should be 17 to jump, not 18!

... unless mommy and daddy are loaded or own a DZ, how does an 18 year old afford to skydive anyways???
:S
:D:D

No kidding. I made my first jump when I was 17, but it was rough trying to get the dough just for the student jumps, then gear and everything else. At least you could get a PC in a B-4 container for $125 and rent a reserve. But if you want it bad enough, you can live poor and skydive. I'm glad that's all behind me now, but I wouldn't trade those days for anything. :)

The scariest skydive - I ever did - was with a 13-year-old German girl strapped to my chest!
Just above deployment altitude, she took a DEATH GRIP on my left thumb.
Remember that this occurred shortly after drogues were installed on Vector Tandems and a few years before the second drogue release was introduced. This was also several years before Cypres was invented.
Don't rush age limits.

You big baby.:P How many right hooks does it take to knock out a little 13 yo German girl? Come on.:S

You know I'm joking, right?:)

... unless mommy and daddy are loaded or own a DZ, how does an 18 year old afford to skydive anyways???

I make 1200 a week under the table with construction and some little stuff on ebay for about another 150 a week...

Don't worry, I won't let my buddy who works for the IRS see this thread the next time I am over his house. :S
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What makes you think you are mature enough at 18?

Fuck im not mature enough at 23 :S

UK you can jump at 16.

That isn't even the point. What makes you think you are mature enough at 16 or 17? You have to set the limit somewhere and 18 is the best place to start.

Otherwise it's like saying the speed limit should be 65 instead of 60. If it's 60, 99% of people are going to do 65 anyway and push the limit by 5 miles and plenty will push it to 10-15 higher than the posted limit. If we change it to 65, they will still do the exact same. So whats the point of adding 5mph? The limit has to be somewhere.

--And that's what you should have said in the first place, rather than knocking his age. The DZ (most) needs you to be 18 to legally sign the waivers.

You're right, the age limit has to be set somewhere, for legal issues.. But what's that got to do with maturity? Granted, if someone seems wayyy immature, they probably shouldn't be allowed to jump. But, I think maturity based on age varies greatly from person to person. Making people be 18 to jump doesn't ensure they're going to be any better off. Just because you weren't mature enough to jump at 17 doesn't mean he's not.

Ummm... I know many. They pack on the weekends, get in a few loads, and walk away with a bit extra. Some are slightly older than 18, but still - not making lawyer's pay. All they have to do is wanna jump.

Pack 20 tandems in a day - you have enough money to do pay for your gas to the DZ, some gear depreciation, and 8 or more jumps the next day!

Where do you live? There are some drop zones that will train students at 16 with notarized parental consent.

Yeah Every DZ in Australia:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You're right, the age limit has to be set somewhere, for legal issues.. But what's that got to do with maturity?

Yea, age doesn't determine maturity. Definitely not.

The legal age for alcohol consumption is 21 in the United States, but the fact is in my view, that plenty of 16 year olds can drink more responsibly than a lot of middle aged drinkers I've seen.

As you said, the age limit needs to be 18 for legal reasons. I'm highly against under 18 jumping because of this.

Not to say that I like to see anyone get hurt, but if a 16 year old could jump, get killed and not effect the sport, then that is his or her prerogative. Unfortunately, it could.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The scariest skydive - I ever did - was with a 13-year-old German girl strapped to my chest!
Just above deployment altitude, she took a DEATH GRIP on my left thumb.
Remember that this occurred shortly after drogues were installed on Vector Tandems and a few years before the second drogue release was introduced. This was also several years before Cypres was invented.
Don't rush age limits.

You better hope a 20 year old icelandic dude doesn't do that. I hear they are WAY stronger than 13 year old German girls!;)

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

As you said, the age limit needs to be 18 for legal reasons. I'm highly against under 18 jumping because of this.

And heres me thinking when i started jumping i'd avoid the straight laced PC world :P

Do you have the sim under your pillow? :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

And heres me thinking when i started jumping i'd avoid the straight laced PC world :P

Do you have the sim under your pillow? :D

Well, would you rather take the chance of the sport suffering because a few under 18s wanted to jump out of an airplane? We have plenty of time left in our lives to enjoy the sport from the age of 18 and on.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I did my first tandem at 16, and had a hell of a time. Go for it.
Find a place which will take you with parental consent. If you have your driving licence, take a drive to your local dropzone and check things out. Talk to some skydivers, take a look at gear, show up with a list of questions, and people would be reluctant not to help you.
Bottom line is make sure you do some research before consulting your rents about it. Definitely save your cash!!Most parents will not be to content in dropping a few hundred bucks on a thrill ride. Most likely they will think skydiving is crazy so prove them wrong.

I did my first solo (flying) at 15. I don't see why an 18 year old can't do a skydive especially a tandem.

21 being the drinking age in the US is just ludicrous.

Numbers are for legal mumbo-jumbo.
What ever happened to common sense?

[]DETE

Sooner or later you will wish you took it slow.

Speak for yourself there, bud. ;) I rushed the shit outta life, burning the candle at both ends when I was younger. I have never looked back and wished I took it slower. I have regrets, of course, but that's not one of them.

The age should stay 18. What makes you think you are mature enough at 17?

I agree the age should stay 18, but only because a line has to be drawn somewhere. At 18 you're legally an adult, so that seems a sensible point to draw the line. But that doesn't necessarily mean an individual 17 year old (or 16 or whatever) lacks the maturity to make the decision to skydive. People mature at different rates.

Well, would you rather take the chance of the sport suffering because a few under 18s wanted to jump out of an airplane? We have plenty of time left in our lives to enjoy the sport from the age of 18 and on.

The sport is unlikely to suffer if a 16 yo dies. A DZO might suffer a bit without a waiver and a judge that decides assumption of risk doesn't apply. Some DZOs aren't as terrified of the possibility - M Mullins will take the 16 and 17 yo's so long as it's clear both parents are in favor (and one is present).

In the dive industry, you have some captains/owners that are quite afraid of accidents, and put in all sorts of additional rules and checks. And then you have some that follow the Lodi model and tell their customers to be responsible adults. If they choose to dive alone, best wishes.

Despite the clamor from the youngsters here otherwise, I don't think 16 year olds are mature enough to jump, and I think they're borderline to dive (also for physiological reasons).