Philly215

Should be 17 to jump, not 18!

This sucks>:(. I've waited 12 years til I can finally get to go, and now that it's close it seems like it's never coming up!

The age should stay 18. What makes you think you are mature enough at 17?

Besides, it offers protection to drop zones. The legal age for many things by law is 18, so due to that alone it should be 18.

That said, it's not that much longer. A year goes by pretty fast. Do yourself a favor and don't rush life. Sooner or later you will wish you took it slow.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I'm 19, and I started when I was 18.

I could only afford it because I am still living at home while I am going to College, so there aren't any bills.

Aquiring gear was a different story, I'm in Canada, so we had a nice cold Winter, which aloud me to work and no skydive (save money). Throughout the whole winter I pieced together a great rig and save up some money for the summer.

My advice to you, would be this, start saving. Even if you don't know if you're going to like it.

FJC: $200
AFF: $1000
Gear: $1500-$7000

You can see that it's a big investment right at the start (well, gear will be a few jumps in).

Goodluck!

Start working your ass off and saving up money so that when you turn 18 you can get your license quickly and purchase gear.

That is what I did! I had $4,000 in the bank that I had saved up to furnish my first apartment once I moved out of my parents place.. instead, I got addicted to skydiving and spent it all on that.

I still consider it money well spent.

So what my furniture is all from the thrift store and my couches are worth about $10... who cares?;)

Edited to add:

Call up your nearest dropzone and ask if they need any parachute packers and how you could go about getting trained. That is a good way to learn about the sport and make some good money!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

... unless mommy and daddy are loaded or own a DZ, how does an 18 year old afford to skydive anyways???

I come from a realitivly poor family. My parents supported us well, roof over our head, schooling, good food, etc, but if we wanted anythign extra, we had to earn it, simple as that. Dad never gave me money, but always saw to it that I had the oprotunity to earn it around town somewhere.

By the time I was 18, I had bought a nice second hand truck, enrolled for college, and was spending WAY more on my hobbies then, than I do now for me AND my wife to skydive.

So, to answer your question, you WORK for it.

This sucks>:(. I've waited 12 years til I can finally get to go, and now that it's close it seems like it's never coming up!

The age should stay 18. What makes you think you are mature enough at 17?

:|
...what makes you think he's NOT at 17? Had a nice, long discussion with him, have you?

Chris, there are times I've appreciated reading what you have to say...but this ain't one of 'em. If there's one thing I've learned in my life (and that has constantly been reinforced by skydiving), it's not to judge a book by its cover. When I was 15, I was more mature than most 28 yr-olds I meet today, so I find ageism to be just as bad a form of prejudice as any other. Unless you know his life and the particular circumstances he's been through, you should probably step off, or ask for some more info before you start rendering blanket judgments and shoving them in his face. I think it best to not convince someone interested in the sport that we're all unsympathetic a$$holes before he even gets in it.

What's more, come on. I personally have a hard time waiting 'til next weekend to jump, so it would be awfully hypocritical of me telling someone, "Meh, it's only one more year..." Dunno about you, though...

Back to Philly, I'd take the advice re: calling around, looking for a DZ that'll take jumpers age 16 & up with parental consent. If you can't find one nearby, then all you can do is suck it up and start saving every penny...you're gonna need it. (Starting packing might be a good idea...and would get you good at that particular, um 'art' before you even get off AFF, which will be a huge advantage.)
Signatures are the new black.

... unless mommy and daddy are loaded or own a DZ, how does an 18 year old afford to skydive anyways???
:S
:D:D

You'd be surprised how much money you can get just for busting your ass academically in high school. 4 years of financial worry free living afterwards (college), plus extra play money, was worth all the work especially since I don't even have to work a job.

And I'm a white male who doesn't qualify for any need based aid.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

What makes you think you are mature enough at 18?

Fuck im not mature enough at 23 :S

UK you can jump at 16.

That isn't even the point. What makes you think you are mature enough at 16 or 17? You have to set the limit somewhere and 18 is the best place to start.

Otherwise it's like saying the speed limit should be 65 instead of 60. If it's 60, 99% of people are going to do 65 anyway and push the limit by 5 miles and plenty will push it to 10-15 higher than the posted limit. If we change it to 65, they will still do the exact same. So whats the point of adding 5mph? The limit has to be somewhere.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The scariest skydive - I ever did - was with a 13-year-old German girl strapped to my chest!
Just above deployment altitude, she took a DEATH GRIP on my left thumb.
Remember that this occurred shortly after drogues were installed on Vector Tandems and a few years before the second drogue release was introduced. This was also several years before Cypres was invented.
Don't rush age limits.