wrathchild

SIM Clarification Needed

In the SIM under license requirements, it states for the B license, "demonstrated the ability to perform individual maneuvers (left 360, right 360, backloop, left 360, right 360, backloop) in freefall in 18 seconds or less"

For the C license it states, "during freefall, perform in sequence within 18 seconds-a backloop, front loop, left 360-degree turn, right 360-degree turn, right barrel roll and left barrel roll"

The instructors at my dropzone say that for the B license the maneuvers must be performed all at once within 18 seconds, just like the C license. However, I pointed out that the wording for the B license states "individual maneuvers" and for the C license states "in sequence"

So what is the correct requirement for the B license?

A moot point for me as I got my B license using the planed formations, however I'm curious as to what the answer is.

I think it is semantics but the B requires all of the manuevers to be done within 18 seconds but the student can do them in any sequence that they want. For the C license it has to be in the sequence stated. FWIW that is our interpretation for check dives.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Both are in sequence. The front loop is added as an additonal point of performance for the C License with the same 18 second criteria (you have one more manuever to perfrom in the same time frame).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Both are in sequence. The front loop is added as an additonal point of performance for the C License with the same 18 second criteria (you have one more manuever to perfrom in the same time frame).

Exactly. Its a standard style series. The C-license is another standard style series as well. They must be performed in sequesnce. Eitherway any jumper coming from a modern instruction program should be able to perform both of the series just about out of student status. All in all it isn't hard. It is hard to perform those series on a national's level competition with exact degrees of rotation with an obscenely fast time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We had the exact same discussion at our DZ because we had a student do all of the manuvers but not in the right sequence. She did a right 360 first and then did a left 360 followed by a backloop, repeat. According to the SIMS there is nothing that states that it has to be done starting with a left 360. Yes it is a standard style series and we discussed that as well but the SIMS does not state that for a B license that it is sequence dependent. Again that was our interpretation and we felt all of the INDIVIDUAL manuevers were completed.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

a right 360 first and then did a left 360 followed by a backloop, repeat. According to the SIMS there is nothing that states that it has to be done starting with a left 360. Yes it is a standard style series and we discussed that as well but the SIMS does not state that for a B license that it is sequence dependent. Again that was our interpretation and we felt all of the INDIVIDUAL manuevers were completed.

I may be inclined to agree with this interpretation.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I also agree. Where it is important in competition to complete the series correctly, I think at the local DZ, as long as all the maneuvers are completed with accuracy it meets the intent of the B- requirement.

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

Furthermore, I would find it even more satisfying that a dynamic test concerning emergency procedures and canopy flight issues were to have more emphasis placed on them for acquisition of each subsequent license, and for that matter, annual renewals.

In my limited experience, the ability to perform a freefall maneuver is secondary to the aforementioned skills where personal survival is concerned. Freefall skills that are necessary for survival and safety are issues like the ability to stop quickly while recovering from a corked maneuver and other aspects like tracking that ensure group safety may have a higher level of importance over being able to turn ones body etcetera...

But, I am a United Stated Parachute Association Solo Freefall Instructor, so I much test in accordance with their procedures, even though I am not in complete agreement as to which maneuvers and skills necessitate a higher priority where safety is concerned…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Furthermore, I would find it even more satisfying that a dynamic test concerning emergency procedures and canopy flight issues were to have more emphasis placed on them for acquisition of each subsequent license, and for that matter, annual renewals.

TOTAL agreement here. With all the emphasis on flying competition, has performance overshadowed basic knowledge?

And I find the substitute requirement for B wrto ten group freefalls is appalling. Group freefall = 2 or more. Ten successful 2-ways out of 43 (or less) jumps meets the requirement for a B....bullshit.

FWIW: Most B applicants I've seen take the easy way out (10 group jumps). For those who elect to do the style, we only ask that they do them all within 18 seconds and the sequence is up to them.

Personally, I repeated the style requirement 3 times to get it right even though my instructor said on the first two, "That's close enough." I also added in my own requiremennt that I did them within 10 degrees of original heading. Am I too hard on myself?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239