flyinchicken

A tandem for recurrency

... I have come to the conclusion that.....with the problems cited maybe you should be on the ground until you can resolve this stuff.

I agree. I can't for the life of me imagine someone who has completed this many jumps not having the confidence to make another without it being a tandem. I agree with the "Drama Queen" comment.

Many people jump to achieve a level of self-confidence, and from what I've seen, most people with 300-400 jumps have their shit pretty much together. This is clearly not the case here. However, it's her money, and I've never understood much California Psychobabble, anyway. It sounds like the whole thing is being way over-dramatized. But, then, why else would someone write about such a goofy idea on the internet, but to get a reaction from people.

Here in Norway, almost everyone are 4-5-6-7 months uncurrent when the season starts.

Greetings from Finland. I was jumping in every month I think from the last 12. ;)

We have an old(?) saying here in Norway: "Never, ever try to compete with the finnish. you will be beaten and disgraced." Their tolerance to alcohol and cold is said to be legendary.

:D

Well some norwegians jump through the winter, and I hear stories of 0P canopies getting all stiff and slippery in the cold, dry weather, and having to wear a face mask in freefall. But a lot of norwegians choose other activities in winter.

Well, this was a bit off topic, but couldn't resist.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

i've had shits longer than 3 months.

And I take no longer than 3 minutes...

Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway!

And fuck what everyone else thinks, you do what is best for you, it is a free country (Canada is free right?)...

Doing a tandem isn't going to refresh you on what to do on a skydive because that tandem doesn't even remotely resemble a regular jump.

If the concern is over canopy flight, patterns, and landings, the tandem has some value, though being out last and opening high means that most of the traffic is already on the ground.

Me personally - I did the AFF reccurency jump as required for a B out 9 months after my shoulder break. I was a bit tense in the plane, but perfectly fine once out the door.

I will never do a tandam there dangerous. I took 2 years off and went out by myself. Said I made my last jump in April. Just didn't tell them the year. My first jump was AFF1. It is just like a bike. If I take 10 years off I think I would be fine. Not talking 10 ways but first a hop and pop then the 10 way.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

I WILL be nervous and I want to relax, not stress myself back into jumping. I have a lot of other personal issues I am dealing with now that i am jumping with my father, It is added risk. I need to relax myself and begin jumping slowly. Why not a tandem to do this? I have no pride, i don't care if you or anyone else thinks I'm being a chicken(note my dz.com name). It's like going on short jog a few days before the marathon. i think I will enjoy it immensly, especially with a good friend strapped to my back.

:)

Nerves are normal, especially after a hiatus from the sport. For me, it's the climb to alti which builds my anxiety, then once I'm in the door and exit, it's all familiar again. After some downtime due to medical conditions, I eased back into jumping by doing high hop and pops... enjoy taking in the scenery and playing with my canopy.
Have fun!

Hiya Bozo,

I have been on the ground resolving these very issues. The last two years of my life I have focused on getting rid of bullshit in my head. i have been extremely successful and am really proud of myself. I don't believe that seeing a weekness in yourself that affects, your friendships, close personal relationships, basically colours everything that you do is being a "drama queen". It is being strong, focused, and honest about your faults and strengths. i know enough, that I am ready to let go and am really excited to do this. I am worried that my emotional response may still be over the top. So I have compromised, and chosen a path that allows me to jump as well as test out just how far I have come with dumping extra baggage in my life. I'm excited! I am looking forward to being able to do my first skydive with my dad and being able to be close to him. =)
I am confident I could go and jump with no worries, however I am going to take it slow. i would think many skydivers would like to hear that I am not going to allow myself to be a big ball of emotional tension and try to fling myself in the air. LOL
Matters not too me really what you all think of my personal situation(except for lippy's comment about skydiving ending bad blood, I know, it's awsome).
What I WAS getting at in the beginning of my post is that I think it may be an excellent way for skydivers off for 6 months or more to get themselves recurrent. LOL but obviously the "sissy, old people, first timer" stigma is a bit too much for thier egos. I will be jumping very soon wish me luck. I'm VERY excited.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

For the record....FC, I did not use the terms drama queen , sissy or any other degrading one.
I just questioned your thought processes knowing how making a skydive leaves no room for all the garbage.
If this is what you need to do to get back in the air, by all means , go for it.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

430 jumps and you want to do a Tandem after only 4 months away!

That is fucked up! The other jumpers are right to give you shit about it.

You aren't making yourself any safer because as soon as the tandem is over, you then have to put your rig on and do a normal skydive so why bother!

Do your EP's on the ground, pack your own rig and do a landing pattern briefing if it makes you more comfortable but don't waste your money. Just get out there and jump. You'll be fine.

P.S. I have fewer jumps than you and have taken longer breaks. I just got back on the plane and jumped. I'm still alive.:o

430 jumps and you want to do a Tandem after only 4 months away!

That is fucked up! The other jumpers are right to give you shit about it.

You aren't making yourself any safer because as soon as the tandem is over, you then have to put your rig on and do a normal skydive so why bother!

Do your EP's on the ground, pack your own rig and do a landing pattern briefing if it makes you more comfortable but don't waste your money. Just get out there and jump. You'll be fine.

P.S. I have fewer jumps than you and have taken longer breaks. I just got back on the plane and jumped. I'm still alive.:o

Um, weren't you the same person who talked a couple months ago about having difficulty working up the nerve to jump again? You got a lot of sympathetic and sensitive responses and yet here people are beating up flyinchicken for dealing with a mental block to jumping again. Who are we to judge that one reason for a mental block is somehow more "valid" than another?

Would I choose a tandem for recurrency? No, and the responses to this thread indicate that most skydivers well past their A licenses wouldn't make that choice, either. I've actually never done a tandem; it would probably freak me out more! But I'm also not going to judge someone else for choosing it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Scott,
You do not know my situation, hence you cannot judge. I am dealing with emotional stress that in my mind, is equal to watching friends die(and i have). The tandem is a way for me to test my emotional response to the situation after doing a lot of personal work. Essentially, it has nothing to do with the skydive itself. If my emotional response is too intense for me to make safe and sound decisions in the air, I will not attempt to make a jump again until i have beaten this shit out of my head. I believe that this circumstance has come to a head for a reason and I am going to rise to the challenge and win. However, I will do it safely, and not endanger myself or other skydivers all because my brain is screwed over bullshit in the past. My dad is trying so hard to make this happen, I am touched deeply. If you have been trolling....I love you for this.

Peace G

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Then just go do it. You're spending a lot of time and energy defending your decision to a bunch of people on the internet, when you could have just gone and done the tandem quietly and gotten yourself back in the air.

You're clearly hoping for some kind of validation here and it's looking like you're not going to get it. Use all that work that you've done over the past couple years and just go find that validation within yourself instead of trying to get it from a bunch of random strangers.

JMHO.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke