apb

No tracking in DZ hire kit/rigs?????

I went to a UK dropzone on the weekend and on arrival was told my reserve repack was a day out of date (my own fault).
Having been told i could jump the club gear i was told no freeflying in club kit and NO TRACKING? how do they work that one out? Surely if you have to track for separation whatever skydiving discipline you are doing then this should be ok. what are other people's views???
it seemed to be that the club couldn't have been more anal about everything but if someone can explain it to me then i might change my mind.....

Maybe i just had a bad experience at this particular dz but the owners seemed to go out of their way to make life as impossible for me to jump as they could. If they don't want to encourage new jumpers to the dz then they went the right way about it! For the record i have 200 jumps with about 130 of those freefly and about 60 since Jan this year.....

Having been told i could jump the club gear i was told no freeflying in club kit and NO TRACKING? how do they work that one out? Surely if you have to track for separation whatever skydiving discipline you are doing then this should be ok. what are other people's views???

Maybe they just said: no tracking jumps or backtracking?

Makes no sense to me either. I could understand if they are concerned about backtracking and barrel-rolls on a tracking dive, but not why they would say NO tracking whatsoever.
What kind of equipment is it?
Hard work never killed anybody, but why risk it?

The equipment was a Xerox container (BOC) and Silhouette 190 main.

I was also waiting over an hour while they worked out the wingloading on whether i could jump a 150 (I have 130 jumps on a 170 and about 5 on a 150). It didn't matter whether it was a yes or no as my friend jumps a 170 and said i could jump hers and she would borrow the 150 as her WL was a lot lower than mine (mine was 1.39).

By the time they worked all this out and gave me a slot it was 3 hours later! I thought this is supposed to be a service industry!!! Needless to say by this time I decided to call it a day!

Sure. And you seem like a bitchy customer....

Really? why is that? because i would like to go to a dropzone and jump? how long does it take someone to work out a wingloading? over an hour?

Anyway this is digressing from the main question:

With the gear mentioned is it normal not to be able to track with club gear or is this a one off experience?

First impressions often affect how you are treated when visting some where new or for the first time.

Your posts come accross as someone who might be a problem customer, anything to do with it?

I didn't get that feeling at all.

Being told that you aren't allowed to track would make me ask questions too, as would waiting 3 hours to get set up with gear.

If you folks see this guy as a problem customer I hope you NEVER find yourselves in a service job, and if you do I hope I never have to be waited on by you :)
__

My mighty steed

First impressions often affect how you are treated when visting some where new or for the first time.

Your posts come accross as someone who might be a problem customer, anything to do with it?

I didn't get that feeling at all.

Being told that you aren't allowed to track would make me ask questions too, as would waiting 3 hours to get set up with gear.

If you folks see this guy as a problem customer I hope you NEVER find yourselves in a service job, and if you do I hope I never have to be waited on by you :)

Agreed

The BS poor service was a not so subtle way of saying go away.>:(

Could be lots of reasons for it. Like the DZ wanted to save their rental gear for their own DZ sky chicks or little people:|

Find another DZ. First time shame on them>:( second time shame on you:S .

apb,

I too have heard the "no FF" on rental gear at some DZs. I'd too like to hear why this particular DZ says "no tracking" either... to speculate wildly, possibly he or she got burned by someone renting their gear and going freeflying, but saying "oh, I was just tracking."

To pull the pin on a grenade... I'm not so sure I'd be in a big hurry to rent a rig w/ canopy to someone with only 200 jumps that put them at a wing-loading of 1.4:1. :|

A question back to you, "Will this motivate you to keep better track of when your reserve needs an I&R and make double sure its in date before you go someplace new?"
;)

question back to you, "Will this motivate you to keep better track of when your reserve needs an I&R and make double sure its in date before you go someplace new?"

Or at least a working pen and a look at the data card before walking in to the office.
:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yep, not the best DZ mate. Told you that you might have issues there.

You know what to do and the places to visit. So sort your reserve repack and head there.

But fair one for going to the DZ and making your own opinion!

Wing loading issues I can understand to some extent, but the attitude towards a new customer that you received was poor.

"I'm too busy to help you now!!" Nice one hey;)

To pull the pin on a grenade... I'm not so sure I'd be in a big hurry to rent a rig w/ canopy to someone with only 200 jumps that put them at a wing-loading of 1.4:1. :|

A question back to you, "Will this motivate you to keep better track of when your reserve needs an I&R and make double sure its in date before you go someplace new?"
;)

Zigzagmarquis,

in answer to your questions,
the wing loading issue wasn't an issue. what was an issue was waiting for a yes or no for over an hour whilst they calculated it. My friend was willing to jump the 150 and I would borrow her 170 which is what i usually jump as her wingloading is a lot less than mine and her experience is greater. i arrived there at 9.30 in the morning and did my only jump about 12.30pm. the rest happened after this.

as for motivating me to keep better track of my reserve then it's getting done at the moment. And Stratostar no i'm not doing it myself!

Looks like the No tracking part was BS according to consensus then!

Really? why is that? because i would like to go to a dropzone and jump?

No, because you showed up with your gear out of date, and then got whiney when the told you their might be some conditions to using theirs.

No wonder I never lend my gear out.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Fair enough.

Looks like the No tracking part was BS according to consensus then!

While the consensus HERE may that the DZ's "no tracking on rental gear" may be its BS, the only real answer would be to hear the "why" from the DZ in question, but that all seems to be moot at this point.

question back to you, "Will this motivate you to keep better track of when your reserve needs an I&R and make double sure its in date before you go someplace new?"

Or at least a working pen and a look at the data card before walking in to the office.

Reason #2 for, "Why I got my riggers ticket" -- "My gear is ALWAYS in date!"
:)

> Surely if you have to track for separation whatever skydiving discipline
>you are doing then this should be ok. what are other people's views???

They can put whatever requirements they want on their gear. If I heard that I would assume "no tracking dives" and then do a normal RW jump. If afterwards they said "we meant no tracking at all!" then I'd thank them for the gear and find someplace else to borrow gear.

Well I know what you mean, I was @ XXX for two weeks and during the first week there one of my rig's went out of date, I was manifested on a load by an LO and I was called up to the window and told I was out of date. I love the look on everyones face when I signed my card right there in front of um, one non staff member said I couldn't do that, so I pulled out my ticket and said, you want to bet on that. :):) (the manifest guy thought it was funny too)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

>so I pulled out my ticket and said, you want to bet on that.

I recall once seeing a similar scene unfold. The DZO was around and saw it. He came over and said "you can't do that here." Rigger said "oh yeah? I'm a rigger!" DZO said "I don't care who the hell you are. Anyone with an attitude towards safety that you're displaying isn't jumping at my DZ." It goes both ways.