JohnRich

The Antonov-2 Airplane

This slow stall speed makes it possible for the aircraft to fly backwards (in higher winds).

Been there, done that (I have 16 jumps from one in the Czech Republic). I can recall days where motor scooters on the perimeter road were outrunning the aircraft!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Thanks a lot for posting those pictures, John. The camera I brought turned out to be nonfunctional, so now I have a record of everything but backing away from the airplane after exiting, with popsjumper looking at me from the door :ph34r:

Wendy W.

If you had flapped your arms a little, you could have passed us.
:D:D

I posted in another thread:
The pilot told me his greatest fear was a bird strike...from the rear.
:D:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I can be wrong, but it seems like this particular airplane been in Japan or China for a while. More likely China first and than Japan. It was probably been sold there at a time when Soviet Union collapsed. Wild commerce, you know. The only thing I am curious about is it's paintings. Why would anybody wanted to keep it original, with CCCP and Aeroflot labels?

I flew that type of planes many times as a passenger and once landed in it with an engine completely shut down. Was pretty cool experience. Those plane had modified landing gear - ski instead of wheels.

Here you can see an interesting plate above the exit door of An-2 (the text says: God with you...:P)

Hi Astor

Thanks for the pic

Looks like a Low tech spotting device stowed above the doorB|

Or is that roll of toilet paper for the long flt to altitude:D

Didja happen to notice the radio hookup? At Rantoul they had a modern radio hooked up with alligator clips to an automobile jumper pack for power. Something about different voltages.

I did notice that the radios were crammed into a space like they weren't originally designed to be there. And I noticed the jump-start pack, but didn't realize it was connected to the radios. I just figured that was for some kind of emergency starting if the onboard battery went low.

Did you all have to join a "club" to jump it?

Um, no, no-one stated any such "requirement". Do tell. Does it involve drinking vodka and toasting Stalin, or something?

Yeah, jumping AN-2 in US is probably same exotic, as driving something like 1970 Corvette Stingray in the roads of Eastern Europe.

I think it's more like a VW mini-bus.

By the way, the Russian phrase on the door has nothing to do with Siberia or jumping out of perfectly good airplane. It says: "press the handle down and push to open the door" ;)

Oh man, you're spoiling all of our fun...

Not sure what he meant about the club, but the AN-2 isn't FAA certified. That's why it's got an experimental registration. Experimentals cannot take passengers for hire. So I'm guessing operators in the US either need some kind of special permission for events, or some way around the FARs. Some will make the passengers buy membership into a club, which comes with a free ride.

Dave

More info:

The An-2 has design features which make it suitable for operation in remote areas with unsurfaced airstrips:

* It has a pneumatic brake system allowing it to stop on short runways.

That pneumatic brake system makes it sound just like a City Bus when braking during taxing.

I had a real blast jumping out of that plane.

There are some pictures of the AN2 in our dropzone.
IMG_4951.jpg (35.1 KB)

Re: the last picture

What the heck are all those orange things streaming alongside the plane behind the door? I can imagine static-lines belonging there, but these look likes sleeves or something. And it looks like the exiting jumpers could get entangled in them. Ack!

Direct bag (here: sleeve) deployment. Static line AND sleeve TIED to the airplane. Canopy NOT tied to the sleeve or static line.

We once had the guy tie the wrong thing... Ended up being towed behind the AN-2. No cutaway system (that's right). Used his knive (10 inches long) to cut risers and deployed the reserve. I saw it all from 200 feet, on level (I was the one out of the airplene right before him). That order was decided 2 minutes before the exit. Had it been an original plan and had I exited AFTER him... - well, you can imagine the collision happening. Scary...

Did you all have to join a "club" to jump it?

Um, no, no-one stated any such "requirement". Do tell. Does it involve drinking vodka and toasting Stalin, or something?

At Rantoul we had to join an AN2 jumpers club in order to be crew members so that we could jump an experimentally flagged aircraft. The jumps were termed "exhibition" jumps. Included with the membership was an official uniform. OK, it was a T-shirt with a picture of an AN2 on it. But they were "uniform".

I wonder how you all worked around it.

-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Here you can see an interesting plate above the exit door of An-2 (the text says: God with you...:P)

Looks like a Low tech spotting device stowed above the doorB|

Or is that roll of toilet paper for the long flt to altitude:D

Well, I did not took that picture - but I remember using these spotting devices... :P

Here is a photo of An-2 we used for ground training during my FJC :)
Another good An-2 related site is http://www.antwo.cz (with some info in English and great photogalleries.

what happens when you stuff the russian 8-way team and their trainer into an AN2 can be seen here

enjoy B|

i also put up some AN2-pics from slovakia on the same webpage

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666