yuri_base

Homemade smoke?

If you decide to try this . . .

The step where you mix salt peter and sugar . . . use VERY LOW heat and be very careful. I would HIGHLY suggest doing this in a shed or garage or somewhere that is NOT your house. If you try to rush this with higher heat, there is a real danger of bad stuff happening right in your face and if that happens you really don't want that in the house.

When you get to the step of actually testing your handywork . . . I'd keep it well away from myself, clear of anything even remotely flammable and with a fire extinguisher nearby. I would NEVER consider jumping one of these home made flares; NEVER.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, I dunno. You do have to get it up to the melting point of sugar and it's going to be pretty freekin' thick.

I think where people get into trouble is trying to rush it by using a bigger flame and also by trying to make bigger quantities which also requires more heat and leaves less room for error since if something goes wrong you end up with a much bigger bad thing happening. I can't really describe it as an explosion, but it's a very large flaming mass of goo sputtering and kicking off a LOT of smoke. It's REALLY not something you want to be around when it happens.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you decide to try this . . .

The step where you mix salt peter and sugar . . . use VERY LOW heat and be very careful. I would HIGHLY suggest doing this in a shed or garage or somewhere that is NOT your house. If you try to rush this with higher heat, there is a real danger of bad stuff happening right in your face and if that happens you really don't want that in the house.

When you get to the step of actually testing your handywork . . . I'd keep it well away from myself, clear of anything even remotely flammable and with a fire extinguisher nearby. I would NEVER consider jumping one of these home made flares; NEVER.

:DCaught my friend's mother's kitchen on fire doing this back when I was a kid, trying to make rocket motors. This is *not* something you want to mess with if you have a nice kitchen, lots of flammables/meltables. If it starts to burn...it doesn't stop easily.
But it's probably fun to play with if you have a place to safely do it.

Use to do these all the time in high school. They shoot a hugh flame and make a TON of smoke, but as others have said, I would never jump with one.

And with the cooking, do it outside on low heat. It will take a while to get it to a melting point, but stay away from the temptation of turning the heat up. Me and a friend almost burned down his garage with one, and I still have some scars on my arm from it.

If it starts to burn...it doesn't stop easily .

If you want to try something cool, they will burn under water. If I remember my high school chemistry right, it has something to do with the oxygen in the sugar.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."