mlbolon

Canadian A CoP in the States

Just a quick question regarding the difference between an A CoP in Canada and the States. Up here in the great white North we are only allowed to do 2 ways with an A, and then its only with someone who has (minimum) and B CoP and at least 100 jumps. From what I gather from reading on this forum about people with their A doing 4 ways with other people of similar experience (they are usually based in the US) I take it the USPA doesnt have the same requirements as the CSPA.

So I guess my questions is, if I go to jump in the US with my Canadian A CoP do I follow the Canadian or American rules?

Was just curious as I plan on visiting other DZ's now that I have my A and I live pretty close to the border.

It really depends on the DZ and S&TO at the DZ you visit. If people know you and your skills, that sometimes weighs more than a license.

Some DZs in the US will take a CSPA membership and some will require you to buy a USPA membership. You might want to call ahead to ask so you don't get stuck with an unexpected bill before you're even allowed on a plane
I got nuthin

Same as a "license". CoP stands for "certificate of proficiency"

When I went to the US, (and had my A) I had no problems getting on big ways etc. It does depend on your skill level and ability. Just because the boss doesn't stop you from joining a dive, you should be able to determine yourself if it's over your head or not.

Dayle

Please don't tell me that this means CAPS has force of law :ph34r:;):o

Nope. They're a club same as us.

Not quite the same... the CAPS home page looks better than the CSPA one.

Now is there really an organization behind the CAPS home page? Do they need an organization to support only 1 member dropzone... or have they gone back up to 2 dropzones?
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Same as a "license". CoP stands for "certificate of proficiency"

When I went to the US, (and had my A) I had no problems getting on big ways etc. It does depend on your skill level and ability. Just because the boss doesn't stop you from joining a dive, you should be able to determine yourself if it's over your head or not.

Dayle

Thanks for the info. I guess I was more wondering whether I could jump with other people who have their A when I go down there. I think I will hold off on the big ways for a while until I have more experience in the air with other people around.

A license is issued by an authority such as the government; CSPA is a club with no force of law

The important question: Is CSPA a member of the the FAI?

If so, then a CSPA COP holder should not have any difficulty jumping in the states, or anywhere else for that matter.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If so, then a CSPA COP holder should not have any difficulty jumping in the states, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's both the CoP and the 3rd party liability insurance that comes with a valid membership, IIRC the latter is more important. And it should be good, but try explaining that to an ignorant manifester who doesn't want to hear anything other then 'Here's my proof of USPA membership'
I got nuthin

A license is issued by an authority such as the government; CSPA is a club with no force of law

The important question: Is CSPA a member of the the FAI?

_Am

http://www.cspa.ca/competition/faiinfo.htm

"Where does CSPA fit into the FAI?

The FAI is the sole international body in control of air sports and aeronautic and astronautic records in the interests of good sportsmanship and fair competition. The statutes of FAI specify the Sporting Code as the regulatory system by which the FAI administers and controls all air sport activities, including records, sporting badges and proficiency certificates within these activities. The authority of enforcement of the Sporting Code is exercised through the Active and Associate Members who hold Sporting Powers in their own countries. FAI members thus exercising National Airsport Control are referred to as "NAC". In the case of Canada this NAC is the Aero Club of Canada. While the Aero Club of Canada is the governing body for all air sports, it delegates its authority for parachuting to the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association CSPA. The CSPA is then the sole governing body for parachuting in Canada. "
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy