Melissa76

Continue AFF? Honest Feedback Please!

Hi Everyone,

After 4 tandems I figured it was time to take AFF and really start learning some things! Since it was too windy for us to make our first jump we were still able to do a "working tandem" to practice some things and since I'm especially nervous about the landing pattern I thought this would be a great, albeit expensive, opportunity. During this tandem (yes, #5) shortly after the parachute opened I got the dry heaves and they didn't stop until we touched down. Needless to say, I wasn't paying attention to much to do with flying the parachute or landing as I was too busy wretching! I've since been told since I didn't eat lunch (I suppose it had been more than 7 hours since my last meal) that along with adrenaline was probably the culprit of my illness. All I can say is at this point I'm majorly confused and depressed....is this a sign that I'm simply not cut out for skydiving....should I do five million tandems and retake AFF? It always has been hard for me to control the adrenaline that catches up with me after the chute opens as I usually pant like a dog for a minute or feel slightly dizzy although the dry heaves were a first! Should I just go for the AFF jump since I passed the test and just trust I can land myself with the radio assistance? Your honest feedback will really help me make a decision. Thanks! Melissa

Melissa....youre gonna get 27 answers here , of which 25 of will probably be wrong.
Sit down with your AFFI and discuss this with him/her. You arent the first person with this problem that they have seen.
Along with all the anxiety and stress youre dealing with should be a marked amount of fun. Once you are able to develop some confidence in yourself this might clear up.
REMEMBER.....nothing here will be better than a face to face with your instructor.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

My thoughts, for what they're worth. I would not go directly from a negative tandem experience to AFF. How about figuring out how to manage your meals to prevent the nausea. A small meal 1-2 hours before jumping might work better. Then repeat the tandem as a positive learning experience. Then move on to AFF. I know it's expensive, but it seems like the best plan.

Some jumpers experience nausea and lightheadedness in tandem harnesses, but the same symptoms do not occur when jumping with their own rig. It is likely a result of the harness fit. I know several experienced jumpers who got nauseous on the front of a tandem but have done hundreds/thousands of jumps without a problem with their own gear.

Is it not a bit like when travelling in a car you can get sick, but as the driver you don't?
People tend to get motion sickness when they are not in control of the motion. When you fly the canopy yourself, you control the motion, therefore no motion sickness.

I could be all wrong here, what do you think Bill?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Thanks for your comments. I honestly never thought the harness could be a problem since I've never felt too uncomfortable and the bottom part is released after the canopy opens for more comfort. Someday if I'm actually ready for my own parachute before I'm dead, it will be interesting to note the differences.

In the bigger picture, I've decided I want to practice flying the canopy with a tandem master before doing it on my own. Even though I know the FJC works for most everyone, I just can't reconcile in my brain that everything will be okay flying myself after just the classroom training with no other practical experience. Maybe I should start a thread for "remedials" like me and find some friends! Thanks again for all replies.

I would say (sorry I am going to be harsh, and it only is by the tone of your posts) that your problem is simply confidence... You need some!:P

Except for a rare few, skydivers are everyday joes, nothing special. You, hence, can be an everyday joe and survive.

I would say you are ready to skydive, but another tandem can't hurt, where you fly the canopy.

Here is the key. Make sure the tandem instructor and you have a plan, and it is a learning skydive. If the manifest office tries to put you up with a tandem instructor with only a few minutes before your load, cry foul.

I actually would say, do the FJC (assuming AFF is what your DZ offers) and then if you feel you want another tandem, you will be ready to apply your skills to the tandem skydive, or perhaps you will decide you are ready for level 1.

As a Paramedic who frequently see's panic/stress events, this sounds like a "panic" attack or more accurately a "stress attack". It appears that you have some major concerns and this is the result, even if you are not ordanarily prone to panic events, skydiving is not ordinary. The discomforts of the harness (femoral pinch - poor blood circulation)as mentioned above can also attribute to what you felt.

Landing concerns are second only to malfucntions for the first time jumper! Perfectly normal fears. I would assume that your jump school is using ground to student communications (radio) so you shouldn't feel completely alone.

Only you know what you should do, but follow through with the AFF jump would be my recommendation.

Relax best you can, adjust the harness post opening,
eat light meals through out your jumping day.

Also ask questions learn as much as you can, knowledge is comfort for most.

Welcome to the sport!

How do you adjust your harness post opening?
I'm afraid to touch my legstraps after I've got an opening where the container was in my head due to a poorly tighten leg strap.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

YOu know when I went through me FJC I felt sicker and sicker as the day went on. I felt a little faint, but I still did that fisrt AFF jump. At the door I just let the training take over, and just made sure every motion I made was deliberate. After I got down I heard one of the instructors commenting very positively about the jump. Later that night in the bar they said I looked pale as a ghost before I made that jump. I am glad I went through it even though my body was telling me not to. Now it just feels natural to be burning a hole in the sky.

Talk with your instructors see what they think. If they are confident with you, then go for it. Don't let fear stand in your way.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I've since been told since I didn't eat lunch (I suppose it had been more than 7 hours since my last meal) that along with adrenaline was probably the culprit of my illness.

ding ding...

these two factors can have that effect on anyone...you probably werent drinking enough water either if you were not eating so were already partially dehydrated... EAT!!!! your body needs fuel it will actually HELP you relax and feel less anxious.

Continue? its up to you.. only you should decide if you want to skydive or not... only you can take responsibility for your fate.

How do you adjust your harness post opening?
I'm afraid to touch my legstraps after I've got an opening where the container was in my head due to a poorly tighten leg strap.

Point a knee towards the sky, grab the harness out of your crotch and slide just onto your thigh, repeat other side. Any instructor will be able to show you this, will be a lot more comfortable.

I'm certainly not ready to quit so I guess I'll swallow my pride and shell out some more dough and do at least one more practice tandem, making sure that I jump with my AFF instructor or at least someone with that license. Still hoping to get that first solo in within the 30 day time period but if not, it's just money. As long as I'm alive money can be spent....not the case if I land in power lines! This is really turning out to be more challenging and frustrating than I thought it would be, but I think it will be so worth it.

Melissa....youre gonna get 27 answers here , of which 25 of will probably be wrong.
Sit down with your AFFI and discuss this with him/her. You arent the first person with this problem that they have seen.
Along with all the anxiety and stress youre dealing with should be a marked amount of fun. Once you are able to develop some confidence in yourself this might clear up.
REMEMBER.....nothing here will be better than a face to face with your instructor.

Look at you ,Bozo. Giving good advice instead of yelling at newbies for doing dumb shit at the DZ.

Melissa,
Bozo right. Sure you can get an idea of things here but don't let that take the place of personal instruction. Voice your concerns with your instructor let him/her guide you since that have an ACTIVE role in your progression.
My photos

My Videos

Look at you ,Bozo. Giving good advice instead of yelling at newbies for doing dumb shit at the DZ.

Well.....JT...that old Instructor does pop out every now and then....besides its hard to rip someones head off on a computer. :)
Your mind will be where mine is after a couple years as an I at the academy.;)

bozo

Your mind will be where mine is after a couple years

Sweet, I'm moving to Utah?:D

Nah, I agree with you....I still remember you Ripping Mikey a third A$$Hole (don't asl about his second, he'll show you) when he jumped in the plane because he almost missed his call.

...and was half geared.
My photos

My Videos

Your mind will be where mine is after a couple years

Sweet, I'm moving to Utah?:D

Nah, I agree with you....I still remember you Ripping Mikey a third A$$Hole (don't asl about his second, he'll show you) when he jumped in the plane because he almost missed his call.

...and was half geared.

Awwww i'm mellowing in my old age.

People die in our sport. Sometimes youre gonna step on toes to bring their attention back to center.
If you stress a point properly and strongly enough they will remember it forever.
They might not love you for it but they will remember you said it.
Just a little something I learned in the military.

bozo

> Is it not a bit like when travelling in a car you can get sick, but as the driver you don't?

I don't think so. I had two 'stand in' students who got naueous in a tandem harness. In both cases they were doing the steering under canopy, and both were experienced (~150, ~1200 jumps.)

Dont yu think its a bit wrong to give advice like that when you know very little of the situation? The OP seems to need her confidence boosting, not knocked.
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

On a rollercoaster that does loops, corkscrews, and immelmans, are you the type to sit in the front seat and pretend you are flying a fighter jet, or do you sit in the middle and close your eyes? I am willing to be that having the eyes open fighter pilot type get sick much less often.

Also, maybe ask your doctor about a motion sickness patch?

And yes, talk to your instructors. They have seen this before, I bet.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.